Skip to main content

Forums » Fantasy Roleplay » Masquerade (Open)

Atoli (played by Beetlebelle)

Atoli’s arms were still folded in front of her as she listened to the group converse. Her brows furrowed, “And which shadows will lead where, exactly?...” She asked Umbra, and glanced about the room a little nervously as if they would swallow her up. The closeness of the room unnerved her still, setting her on edge.

The harpy thief looked to the pale assassin on the floor and said in a matter of fact tone, “Fix it by finishing what you started, then. You go for only royalty and higher classes right? Maybe you should hurry up on that and be less… flashy about it.” She tilted her head to eye his wound. She knew that what she suggested would be very unlikely though, considering his injury.

Eike spoke up, and at his demeanor, her eyebrows unfurrowed as she relaxed slightly. She was still hesitant about the wizard but he seemed to mean well. ‘Much more than the others… myself included.’ Atoli thought to herself. There was still a tone in her voice when she mimed his wording back to him and said, “Out with it then, friend.”, though it seemed more of a teasing manner than out of malice.

She paced to a small shadow in one corner of the room and carefully poked it with one toe. Atoli thought about the masquerade briefly. So much had happened so quickly there, and the image of blood on the marble floors and the Crow’s deadpan eyes stuck in her memory, causing her to shiver; ruffling her feathers slightly as if she got a sudden chill.
Umbra Mortem (played by Lone_Otaku)

Umbra peered at Romulus and Eike, they were absolutely insane if they thought they were going to help the magic-users. To her, they were nothing more than a minority, if Romulus hadn't started playing involuntary hero by eliminating lords and ladies, then maybe superstitions wouldn't be thrown around against mages, or magicians, or whatever they called them these days. The rant about instilling fear into corrupt citizens, noble or not, was considered as inadvertency on Romulus' part by Umbra. She didn't agree with the reason he killed or the manner in which he went about it and that was enough for the elf to disagree with his plans.

Instead she turned on her heel, stepping soundlessly across the room to a chest opposite to the armor stand. Opening it, she began to collect her weapons buckling the sheath for both her blades onto her back, clipping a folded crossbow onto the back of her belt. The rapier already at her hip, Umbra stood, looking like she was prepared to take on an army. Of course she was now prone to doing the opposite, looking towards Atoli as the harpy shivered. With a blank look set atop her complexion she asked Atoli, "Are you ready to leave?" with a sidelong glance at Romulus she turned. Addressing both the doctor and rival assassin Umbra sighed, "What of you two, do you want to leave? Or keep rambling along about saving these mages?" She had opted for using the word mage, it rolled off the tongue better. Her previous thoughts seemed fit to be left unvoiced, so she did just that.
Simon Haydn (played by Thekaleidoscope)

Charles did not for one second stop his circling, instead, it became timed, measured. No step out of place and no circle longer or shorter than the last. The reformation that she was talking about was an idea that he agreed with, wholeheartedly believing that there needed to be a change of management. Only to him, the change was not one monarch to another or even a reformation in the Lords. His idea was of a new class, one of merchants and industry, not that he was going to say that out loud. "Oh, don't be so naive, the current lords are behind the king. The prince, if you did persuade him away from the path of his father, wouldn't last longer than a field of corn in a fire."

"For me to speak up against the king would not get them to listen, just make me another enemy. Besides the Jester attacks would be too well timed, using it would never allow for power to hold for long. For one, he is no matter what just one person who is may I remind you in a war with the aristocracy. Using the timing of the attacks to push your agenda forwards will to many make you look sympathetic towards him, or even worse, his ally."

He stopped directly infront of her swivelling to face her head on. "What you need for better or worse is something else and the way I see it you have two choices: One you join the system you despise and try to change it over time from within or, Two you get an army and you change it with force. Now I could very easily provide the second."
Taff remained quiet, the bells on his silly noticeable hat ringing whenever he dared move the head, leaving him all the more mortified

He glanced with pity at the other prisoners who were undoubtedly going to regret encountering lord Pentre with certain torture hovering over them and perhaps death to encounter soon enough, his fate likely to be no better, but he stood patiently outside, attached to the horse by heavy chains and thick ropes as if a dangerous criminal, wondering what lay ahead

He couldn't refute the well made points that he had been present at all events where The Jester struck and had certain easy access to lords and royalty being a manservant to the prince. In his defence he wanted to point out that the king and nobles he served had not run into harm but he knew how stubborn Pentre could be, it was no use trying to protest his innocence, the lord knight wouldn't listen

Merthyr Tydfil spent time at each tavern, markets and gatherings, he listened attentively to no avail, starting to loose hope to ever encounter The Jester at all never mind in a timely fashion

Lord Pentre reminded still by the gates, his far superior number of heavy armed and well trained warriors giving him peace of mind and patience to continue waiting
Romulus Mannix (played by paranoid_party) Topic Starter

Aileen didn't look bothered by his circles, though she seemed to make note of the systematic way he moved. And when he began scolding her, she seemed to just take it; she was fully aware she did not have a great understanding, but she felt she had the drive, "I'm not talking about using his attacks. I'm talking about using him. I can get the Jester here. I can get him to do as we please, in his own name. But...raising an army certainly wouldn't be too difficult, especially with the help I have just called in."

"I need to head into the city." Romulus said firmly, "Eike will accompany me. They will not know his face just yet, and I can use the company." At this, however, he flushed a little pink, "Excuse me for a moment...." And stepped into the dark of the room. Only a moment later, he had reappeared, but it was hardly easy to identify that it was him, besides for his clothing. His body was thinner and more feminine, his grey hair now long and the color of the towering oaks in the forests nearby, "I can't change everything as much as I'd like," He spoke calmly, and slower than before; a sultry tone that rolled off his tongue, "But I can change enough to get me by. I need to find out about this Lord Pentre."

((Hey yall, I'm sorry for being gone. I know I've said it a lot but I'm going through some difficult stuff right now soooo))
Eike Ortrun (played by Iltheyn)

Eike first looked over at Atoli as she teased and inquired about his idea. Too polite for any of this, the sorcerer decided to wait until Umbra had spoken to try and reply-- and that was when Romulus seemed to make his decision. He realized that the jester gave no indication of whether or not he agreed but matters were presently out of his control, so he shrugged at the harpy and said. "Well, something certainly will happen." He smiled sheepishly.

He did not bring more attention to the nature of the shift in Romulus' identity; it was well within the others' knowledge that he was capable of such things. He did give a gentle nod and quiet compliment on his choice, though. Hearing about Lord Pentre made the man somewhat uncomfortable and he wondered if the noble enforcer would have access to illusory tricks of his own.
Atoli (played by Beetlebelle)

“Of course I’m ready.” Atoli replied to Umbra. When she turned back to the group to look at them, she saw how Romulus had changed and burst out into sharp cackles of laughter. “AWHAH! Ohhh! You sure you don’t wanna try on a dress? That would be perfect for you now!” Her eyebrows raised as she grinned at him, all sharp teeth and with her green eyes glittering in amusement. The little harpy had figured he had some sort of appearance changing magic already, but she did not realize that extended to that of the opposite gender.

Atoli took in a few breaths as her laughter faded, and she then saw how armed to the teeth Umbra now was, her smile went with it. “…And what do you plan to do? Kill the king and all his knights in that getup?” She shifted a little nervously and shrugged. “As long as none of those are pointed at me I don’t really care either way… I am ready to leave.”
Umbra Mortem (played by Lone_Otaku)

((This may seem expected for those of you that have recently checked Umbra's page. I'm building up to drop out. I really need to get some work in on this character and others. I apologize in advance))

The assassin was deathly quiet, eyes unmoving from the ground as her brain worked, backup plans for backup plans with backup plans. Her shadow working sure wasn't magic, but it would be percieved as so and since the guards saw her escape, they would know about it. A slow and long breath escaped Umbra, taking into account what Atoli had said sh moved across the room once more, searching for a roll of cloth. Walking out in public armed as she was would draw too much attention. With a light hand, she began to wrap up her weapons, keeping the crossbow and a few bolts in a quiver. She took the bundle of blades and stuffed them into a pack, slinging it over her shoulders and onto her back.

Without so much of glance at the Romulus, Umbra grabbed both him and Eike and shoved them into a corner. They disappeared silently into the black, probably falling out of an alleyway somewhere. Turning towards Atoli, the elf kept a neutral expression and asked, "Destination? Or are you planning on coming with me? I'm planning on getting away from all this nonsense, probably head back to my family and visit for a bit. I haven't decided fully,"
Merthyr Tydfil had given up on staying at that tavern any longer and left the establishment, his identity concealed by the commoner's attire and the thick hooded cloak he wore, which partly concealed his face. He ventured outside the establishment and made his way through the alleyways and darker, more concealed paths, preferring to wander out of sight of the guards as much as possible, not about to return to the palace as Pentre had demanded whilst Taff's life was in serious danger. He certainly would not simply sit and wait for his ever faithful manservant to be executed like a common criminal all the while he feasted at his father's side.

As Merthyr was making his way to the next tavern for yet more listening in tasks, he stumbled into Eike and Romulus, not knowing either of the two but finding them scattered on the floor as if they had tripped and fallen to the ground by a misfortunate accident. "Oh, hold on, let me help..." offered Merthyr rushing over to assist the two fallen citizens.

He offered Romulus and Eike the palm of the hand for he was young and strong enough to help the pair of them. He was keen to help them rise up and steady themselves on their feet, not caring who they were, rather offer help to those who needed it in their moment of need.

"Trips can happen to anyone" assured Merthyr calmly, displaying a friendly and warm smile, glad to help the fallen man and the damsel in distress, assuming Romulus to be so given the clothing, long hair and appearance.

"Are either of you hurt?" quizzed Merthyr glancing at the ground to pick up and return any dropped items back as well, handing over the medical suitcase to Eike, clearly a man's case rather than a woman's one
Simon Haydn (played by Thekaleidoscope)

Charles tutted slowly, "You clearly didn't listen properly... the Jester cannot have anything to do with your side if you want the other lords to follow you. Even if you have a wish to trick the jester into doing the dirty work for you, then you have to do everything in your power to look like you are fighting the Jester. No lord will be willing to follow someone working with the man who goes around killing them."

At the mention of an army his eyes slid to face her properly before snapping back into position, "And might I know who or what this help is?"
"Sir... here... your suitcase, you dropped in the fall" presented Merthyr patiently

"If you need shelter to rest from the stumble, there is a tavern two doors down, perhaps we could share a hot broth to recover from such startling event" offered Merthyr not minding some company, the lack of company from Taff clearly troubling him already and causing him to feel all the more depressed and lonely

"I tend to stay there a few nights and can even recommend you a good glass of wine to go with the meal" invited Merthyr, clearly having no money worries, something good out of it all
Romulus Mannix (played by paranoid_party) Topic Starter

Romulus did his best to play the flustered woman, "G-Goodness, thank you for your help, ragazzo. We've been having some trouble finding a place to stay, a tavern would be lovely, wouldn't it be?" He looked to Eike, his eyes pleading him to play along. The strange man could easily expose Romulus for who he was, and truthfully it was unlikely Romulus would be able to escape from someone like Merthyr, who seemed much more physically inclined than him.

"That army, would be us."

Aileen frowned a bit, glancing at the now open door; two women stood there, one a tall knight with thick blonde hair, the other a much...rougher looking woman, with messy pale hair and black clothing; a bandit, and judging on the crest she wore, a dangerous one. She eyed Charles with a pleased grin, "Well well Lady Aileen, you didn't mention you'd have company when we arrived. I'm feeling a little played."

"Iskra, silence." the taller one stepped into the room, bowing deeply, "Forgive her for her idiocy, Lady Aileen. And forgive our intrustion into your meeting, Sir Charles. My...company, is not well mannered." She straightened herself, "I am Lady Katja, of the Knights of the People. This is Lady--"

"Master." The gruff woman corrected, still standing by the door. Katja cast her a glare, but looked back to Charles.

"Master Iskra, King of the Bandit Clan Onyx."
Eike Ortrun (played by Iltheyn)

Eike gingerly took the man's hand as well as his bag from Merthyr's hands and offered a small, "Thank you." As Romulus shot him a glance he returned one with concern- whether genuine or acted was hard to tell with this one. Once righted the blond man offered a crisp bow to Mannix, not bothering to conceal his accent but doing his best to play his part. "I beg your pardon!" Then he turned back to the disguised king, his whiskers perking up as he smiled again. "I concur." It was not hard to agree; after all, their collective ordeal did leave him desiring drink.
Merthyr smiled warmly and nodded in acceptance, keeping the voice a little low

"One must take shelter quickly these days, with the hightened security, one can easily get tangled in excessive checks and invasive questioning" explained Merthyr, clearly unhappy about it but unable to do much on the matter.

"Come... I shall lead the way" invited Merthyr guiding the couple back to the tavern and paying for their double room and a meal for them all, clearly not short in gold as he ordered finest wine and the better range of meats and meals

"So... have you been travelling far?" asked Merthyr hoping to hear of these travellers, perhaps they had heard about the jester or encountered anyone dressed like the jester or overheard gossip about him
((OOC : Should we stay to a strict posting order or shall we reply as we become available ? ))

You are on: Forums » Fantasy Roleplay » Masquerade (Open)

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus