Skip to main content

Forums » Fantasy Roleplay » Masquerade (Open)

Romulus Mannix (played by paranoid_party) Topic Starter

"Crow," the woman said carefully, "Get this man further away from me. I don't want him so close." The loyal Knight would be her confidant for quite some time; "I know the kind of man you are; you were raised by the same men who raised my husband, greed and power are your only motivations. I reject your desire to track the Assassin." Her voice was cold and stern, unsympathetic at the mention of her dead husband.

Romulus stepped forward, "I don't think we have much of a choice, Ms..... Harpy."
Umbra Mortem (played by Lone_Otaku)

"Well... it'll be a shadow of my choosing, hopefully. I have a safehouse on the outskirts of town, that's where I'm hoping we'll end up, so... let's get to work," Umbra laughed nervously for a second, then abruptly, shadows wove around them. Gossamer threads of black weaved into a three-and-a-half person cloak, spread around the group, Umbra lost perception of what was in front of her for a second. The cloak dropped back into shadows cast by the walls, "Heheh, wrong one, lemme try again,"
The Hanged Man (played anonymously)

"Aye, lady," said the Hanged Man as the widow spoke her command. He stepped closer to the Haydn entourage until he was face to face with Charles. The knight was not particularly tall, but he was built broadly. Up close, his face was a paradox of youth and age--it would be difficult to tell how old he was. "T-ten paces back, master."

Meanwhile, in the city, a contingent of five guards came to a halt at the mouth of the narrow alley Romulus, Umbra, Atoli, and Eike were in. "I heard voices, sir," said one to the leader. When the shadows fell away, he barked, "You there, halt!"
Simon Haydn (played by Thekaleidoscope)

Charles listened to the lady's words, his face remaining unchanged and unreadable, yet underneath his anger rose. It was an anger so carefully nurtured and honed that it gave a special purpose and drive to his life. A drive which would sacrifice anyone and anything to achieve it's aims, especially those that stood in the way of burning desire to crush those he had been taught to hate.

Before Crow could even reach him he would have turned and begun striding towards the exit of the room. "If you wish to throw my offers back in my face then so be it. It is not my place to question that decision, however I must regrettably inform you that since the death of your husband we will need to renegotiate trade deals. By the way crow, the same is needed for all the minor lords in what was Lord Julian's territory, please tell them to come down to the Haydn family residence." Without a further word, Charles and his guards turned and strode from the room and back out of the castle.

"This territory," the widow spoke, her voice echoing through the hall as Charles left, "Is the property of the Minelli Family, and I will be leading until my son is ready to assume his Father's position. My armies and my people will have no involvement with your family, I will make certain of this fact. It was the teachings of men like you that caused the death of my husband." She seemed confident, but the weary look was clear on her face. She was tired, the nights events had taken their toll, she had been staying awake for quite some time now, "Crow, please issue a message to the minor lords, they are not to speak to the Haydn family under any circumstances. We will find another source for goods." She smiled, "It is time we reshape this land, don't you agree? To avoid another tragedy such as this..."

"Hey elf lady, I suggest you hurry up. They may not recognize me, but the bird wo--- harpy, is hard to disguise!" Romulus growled, feeling for his knife on his belt; it wasnt there, Atoli had taken it when he dropped it.
Umbra Mortem (played by Lone_Otaku)

((Okay, so I won't be back until Friday, that's my very short way of giving a reason as to why.))

Umbra breathed deep, the shadows swallowed one half of the group and choked down the rest. Complete darkness surrounded them for a few moments, then spat them into a small room, austere in fashion. Of course while everybody was thrown onto the floor, Umbra was nowhere to be found, seemingly disappeared during the five seconds of chaos.
Atoli (played by Beetlebelle)

(( No problem!))

Atoli jumped slightly at both the sudden movement of the shows and at the soldier’s harsh voice. She stayed close to Umbra now, though she looked ready to bolt and take flight at any moment. “Hurry up! Will this work or not?” She looked around nervously and briefly sized up Romulus; trying to decide if she would be able to lift and carry him away. Normal sized harpies sometimes chose to carry away prospective mates in such ways, but she had yet to try.

When the darkness swallowed and spat them back out she sprawled out on the ground, looking bedraggled and dazed. The hilt of the dagger was still present at Atoli’s side, but was forgotten due to the current events.

The Hanged Man gazed flatly at the back of Charles' head. Whether the knight agreed with the widow or not was up for debate, but when she issued her next command, he bowed to her in acquiescence. "Aye, lady. I will give word to the scribes." He hesitated then, chewing the tip of his tongue. "I would w-worry about the Haydns, lady. Their influence stretches far ... and deep. If you're owed any favors, I would consider calling them in."

The guards stormed the alley just as the small group vanished. They milled around in confusion, while one blew a horn, two sharp blasts, to alert reinforcements that something unusual had been found. They began a thorough search of the alleyway.

"Of course, thank you Crow." She stood, nodding her head, "I'm going to rest now. We will take no more guests, for the rest of the night. I wish to be let be for a little while." She stood, one of her maids following close behind her as she left the large hall, the air now heavy with silence.

Romulus looked very trouble by the way they travelled, shuddering a bit when they landed on the ground-- though maybe it was due to his lack of clothing. He let out a deep sigh of relief and sunk down to the floor, just laying out on his back, "Well... I don't hear those guards anymore..."

((Just the image of Atoli picking out a mate like 'eh you'll do' and carrying them off makes me laugh lmao))

((Haaa, though if Atoli ever did get a crush on someone she would probably be too small/weak to carry them off, but that wouldn't stop her from trying! >:D ))

The harpy groaned and sat up. Her claws clicked against the smooth wooden floor as she looked about. The room was dark but a window was letting light filter in on one side. “I…am never going to do that again…” She muttered. “Great…and where did that elf go…”

Atoli stood shakily and walked to the window to peek outside. It seemed as though they were at a less populated area of the town, though she couldn’t tell much more than that. At least there were no guards in sight…for now.

((Ouch my thread is dying :'( ))

"So, bird woman." Romulus stretched where he lay on the floor, before pushing his grey hair from his face, "You said they had accused you alongside me? Why is that? Last I checked, I didn't even know what in Gods name you were." He tilted his head, trying to get water from out of his ear, and peeked around the room. He hoped to spot maybe some clothes or a warm cloak or something, but it wasn't looking like he would find what he wanted. It was starting to feel a little awkward, being around this harpy in only his undergarments.
Eike Ortrun (played by Iltheyn)

When the spell took hold and they were deposited unceremoniously onto the room's floor, Eike decided that he wouldn't move before the others did; he didn't want to give them anxiety or a reason to turn on him. It was a bit difficult to keep it down as he'd landed square on his rump and was experiencing residual pain from the impact. As the other two started to speak again he broke his own silence and withdrew his lantern; with a motion of his hand light sprung from the wick, hopefully to illuminate their new location further.

Either way he would look over at Romulus quietly, still on the fence about whether to give him spare clothes.

(Sorry, I figured I'd wait til Umbra returned but I'll try to help keep the rp afloat even if she doesn't xD)
anon (played anonymously)

(( may I join too? If so... Is there an OOC thread for this? Or just posted comments?))

((I never through about making an OOC thread, but you're free to join! I'll probably get on making an OOC thread really quick right now, I should've done that forever ago probably haha.))

((Can I have the siren since no one claimed her?))
((I will bring my usual characters the king/prince/manservant))

((OOC Forum here!

And yes, you can take the siren, though I'm not sure what importance you could bring to her. It'll be interesting to see where that goes :>))

* long double post to let myself into the game the next ones will be shorter *

Taff Gelligen marched straight past the palace gates, waving briefly at Lord Tron Pentre who made no move to stop the prince's manservant from entering the royal palace, if anything, he was late and long overdue.

King Conrad paced restless in the great hall reunited with his trusted counsellors, clearly alarmed at the ever increasing reports of robbery, kidnapping and more recently assassinations of the lords of his realm.

"This ongoing slaughter must stop, we must make a firm stand and unite all the forces of the land to work together to quench these wretched bandits" insisted in anger, slamming his fist on the table

"Is it true then?" questioned sternly watching Taff kneel to bow before the king and drop the head respectfully

"Yes, sire, the ball had barely started when his lordship's life, lord Julius life came to an abrupt end at the hand of assassins" detailed Taff in confirmation.

"Not a word" mouthed Merthyr quietly behind the king's back as a warning to his manservant; he too had attended the ball against the king's wishes, awareness and orders.

"That'll be all" waved Conrad turning his attention to his only son, having placed the royal palace on lock down and extra vigilance and measure all round, the king sentencing his own son to curfew under room arrest for his own safety and protection, forbidden from speaking to anyone but him and his manservant Taff.

"See... thank our ancestors that I did not permit you to attend the ball, son, for all I know your neck would be the one sliced off instead, if these outlaws hate nobles for being rich, imagine what they would not do to a prince had you been there" pointed out Conrad speaking to Merthyr directly who was clearly doing his best to remain still and patient, not at all in agreement with any of this but knowing better than to contradict his father.

"Yes, sire" agreed reluctantly briefly, his freedom now all the more restricted with these additional grim news

"I have heard from well connected merchants, the Haydn dynasty, that they might know the cause of the problem. It seems it is all down to magic and its usage. There must be some truth to this claim. For no man can execute so many lords in such public settings and simply vanish from sight never to be seen again, so quickly" concluded Conrad

"With due respect the Haydn were a dynasty of sorcerers who scourged our kingdom in a not too long gone past" countered Merthyr sensing revenge as a motive

"Exactly they know all about the corruption sorcery and magic brings" argued the king to support the claim further "They're wealthy respectable merchants now thus we must listen to the voice of experience" concluded Conrad "Issue a decree to this and all other realms we rule upon. Henceforth magic shall be banned and all its creatures of any sort or kind will be put to death, for the greater good of the kingdom" declared Conrad firmly having the scribes note it down. "Any more noble deaths will bring chaos upon our dominions" muttered Conrad clearly altered

"But father, that, is unfair, some of these creatures pose no harm or threat to anyone, they don't even live at cities or among men" protested Merthyr. "Besides, these lords that have perished so far they were known to be more criminal warlords than noble at heart, they were abusing power, oppressing their vassals, executing anyone who dared disagree, they were pillaging the peasants out of their livelihood, taxing them beyond survival, extortion and torture as well. Seems their only purpose were greed and power for their personal gain and enrichment rather than watching over the welfare of those under their care and command" protested Merthyr openly challenging the king.

"Silence...a prince of the realm should know where his loyalty and duty lies. Our realm has many kingdoms, the kingdoms have many greater lords and close friends like Lord Julian, and those rule over lesser lords too. It is imperative to protect them otherwise I will have to end up managing every inch of this land. They are of great help in keeping peasants disciplined and instilling law and order" scolded Conrad.

"Go, Merthyr, apologize to our noble lords present and retire to your rooms to meditate your words" waved Conrad, letting his new decree be published and posted

"Anyone who has magic or practices it shall be made an enemy of the crown and kingdom, shall be put to death or imprisoned and those assisting them shall be fined and sentenced to hard labour" waved Conrad firm on his decision, certain Haydn's words must hold the truth to them

"Taff, return to the lands and offer the lady our royal condolences" waved Conrad sending the manservant to deliver the message and if he perished, better a servant boy than his only son.

Taff nodded and bowed leaving the room, only for Merthyr to walk alongside him, "I am accompanying you and not a word about this either" smiled Merthyr patting Taff's shoulder despite his wince at the new instruction that dared defy the king.

"Of course your highness, we return at dawn" nodded Taff hurrying to pack for the journey without much time to spare in between his arrival and departure

Taff was a powerful warlock, a sorcerer like none other but unusually humble too. He let a sight disheartened at the new attrocious law and felt he had done wisely choosing to conceal his power to become but a manservant and friend to the prince instead. Merthyr was so much kind and fairer, he was certain he would make a better ruler, some day.

This new royal decree would force him to be all the more cautious about his powers altogether. He waited for nightfall to fall upon the kingdom before sneaking out unseen to the nearest river to rightfully complain.

"Elektra! Come at once to my presence" demanded impatient standing half hidden by the edge

"Well, well, to what do I owe the pleasure of your company, my liege?" quizzed Elektra straining the water from her hair as she emerged from the water to speak to the seemless peasant.

"I told you not to give magic away to humans, all it ever brings is trouble, and handing curses after is not the solution to it either" scolded Taff rightfully angry

"Come now, you should make use of your powers to rule the world, with that gold heart of yours there would be no need for weapons or wars" pointed out Elektra with a broad grin

"Don't ever say that again, I take pride in serving the prince, these humans have far more bravery, nobility and better qualities than you magical folk all put together" snapped Taff annoyed

"Now now, don't exclude yourself from our kind, magic flows through your veins instead of red blood." informed Elektra causing Taff to panic

"Hush you, talk any louder the entire living world might hear" hushed Taff "Who did you give magic to this time round?" demanded the warlock questioning the beauty with authority in his voice

"A handsome human, you know, your favourite kind" smiled wide the girl playing innocent

"What spell and at what price?" frowned Taff not falling for her games

"The looks see... I can have deep green eyes and a beautiful colourful red hair" pointed out Elektra showing off with a touch of vanity.

"Urgh you women will be the death of me... in fact the death of many" huffed Taff "Anyways, the boy what spell?" insisted Taff

"A simple one that you already were born with, the ability to change his looks for long periods of time, you should try it some time you know, you could impersonate the obnoxious king, reverse the king's decree by taking up his looks and voice. After all.. if you do not... any death that follows is on you... young warlock..." taunted and accused Elektra

"To impersonate royalty is high treason" informed Taff somewhat offended at her suggestion of wrongdoing

"By their laws or ours?" teased and taunted Elektra further "Whose side are you on, humans or magic? You cannot deny your powers or shun them, warlock" informed Elektra in a frown

"Hush about that" pressed Taff insisting she kept the voice to a soft whisper level "Did the boy die then? You should know, the powers would return to you if he did" demanded Taff in a frown

"Ahhh well see that's for me to know and you to find out... sorcerer... unless you're willing to pay something in return like give me the right to walk on land... you know... a little price to pay for this finding" smiled Elektra with an innocent look and alluring voice

"Forget it... get back to your water... you sea witch..." snapped Taff walking away disgusted

"How charming to see you so angry, I rarely do..." smirked Elektra, clearly her heart as cold as icy water. "I'm sure he lives, besides he is a proper human, unlike you, and braver than you by the looks of it, and certainly appreciates magic far more than you and he's not afraid to use it openly, I'm sure he'll be fine" giggled Elektra in a tease venturing back into the waters until Taff saw it fit to summon her again

"Run along and not a word about me or else I'll take your pretty voice away and you won't cast no more spells or lure more sailors to death" warned Taff knowing how much she valued her betwitching voice

"What will you do now that you know?" asked Elektra curious

"Find him of course, magic is not something to be meddled with, if he be worthy I won't interfere if he be unworthy at heart and motives, I might have to take your spell away and with it your flattering looks" muttered Taff leaving her and watching her vanish into still water.

He returned to the palace, waking Merthyr earlier as commanded by the prince and handing Merthyr a disguise by giving him some of his usual clothes so the pair could be allowed out as common servants.

They left promptly, Merthyr keen to keep a fast pace before anyone discovered his escapade, and they journeyed to go to find Lord Julian's wife and offer support and condolences, first and foremost.

Merthyr also wanted to investigate the rumours and live to the full all the adventures they might cross in their journey there and back, whilst Taff had the darker purpose of finding the human that bore the given magic.

After their long journey, they reached the gated entrance and waited to be allowed to see the grieving woman.

The Hanged Man brought the widow's word to the scribes. It would take them a while to prepare enough letters for all of the lordly vassals that were sworn to Lord Julius, but soon they would be on their way, on the wings of carrier pigeons and in the satchels of runners. The Hanged Man had no idea what the letters actually said, of course--he was famously illiterate--but he took the lead scribe's word for it. Julius had been a powerful man--no doubt the Haydns were the first of many sharks and wellwishers. Perhaps even the king would make an appearance.

With that done, the old crow limped back to his humble quarters. Most of the house knights had larger, nicer accomodations, but Crow opted for whatever was close to the winecellar. He made a stop there for a bottle of wine before retiring.

He removed his armor and sat down on the edge of his bed, bottle in hand, allowing himself some time to reminisce.
eG5IRzQ.png

Julius was dead. Crow could no longer recall what he had seen in the lord, what drove him to swear allegiance. He had been rather ... fond of the man, once, long ago, though his affections had always gone unrequited--and, hopefully, unnoticed, especially by his wife. (If she ever noticed, she had never mentioned it.) Had he truly been so petty, so blind, as to let his heart make such an important decision?

The wine was gone. When had he drunk it all? It had taken the edge from his thoughts at least, leaving a haze in its wake. Sighing, he reclined in his bed, letting the bottle slip from his mangled hand to roll across the floor.

Morning came, though the Hanged Man didn't remember falling asleep. He rose, dressed, donned his armor. That day was like the last. Two lords and a guildmaster came to pay respects--the day after that came a lady, a viscount, and a band of knights-errant.

Then, one afternoon, the Hanged Man was atop the wall looking down at a pair of lowborn gentlemen--Taff and Merthyr--before the gates. "What brings you here?" called the knight in his deadpan tone.

You are on: Forums » Fantasy Roleplay » Masquerade (Open)

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus