Skip to main content

Forums » RP Discussion » Does roleplay & reading affect your behavior too?

Sanne Moderator

http://researchnews.osu.edu/archive/exptaking.htm

This article is rather interesting. I know that reading and roleplaying has influenced who I am greatly long term, but now I wonder how drastically it influences me short term.

Do you have any such experiences yourself?
Kim Site Admin

I have absolutely experienced this, right down to a sensory level. This article is fascinating and I resonate with it really intensely. I'm totally going to tweet that!
Minerva

I believe it. More than once I even picked up on quirks Zenthus had, such as straightening his gloves (even when I didn't have gloves on, I reached for them), or posturings... and more than once Rudianos left me with a grimmer view of reality. It's a great deal of why I went so out of my way to pen an ending for him.
I'm not entirely sure if I've experienced this (at least, not upon as deep a level as Kim & Minerva have), but this is still a very fascinating article!
Darth_Angelus Moderator

I've had that happen too, not so much in RP but watching movies, reading books and even the occasional character focused video game.

Sometimes I've experienced this while facing difficulties of one kind or another and seeing how characters react under similar situations has helped me figure out my own problems.

An example from earlier today, I was playing a game and my character just stepped outside. It just so happened, my window was open and there was a breeze. I felt that hit me and it somehow added to the atmosphere, like I was there experiencing the same as the character.
I ain't even read the article but I'm saying yes. Namely on the grounds that every post I do in an RP that involves combat, if physically possible I actually act out the moves to give me a better visual of how it'd look. And as a result of this self disciplined RP combat practice I've caught myself doing other things some of my characters would do. Such as taking on Kyles pose he would be in when charging one of his powerhouse spells. Just out of utter instinct. Couple months ago I got into a fist fight and my vampire character Ambrose surfaced as my movements during the confrontation became oddly vampiric like going so far as to flash my fangs to the opponent.
I have to agree with Darth, I often do this. Sometimes without noticing till later.
I didn't read the entire article, but I have had the experience. I connect so well with characters in books and RP that I cry when they cry, I get happy when they get happy, and I get frustrated when they do. But it has never really affected me in real life with habits and such. The only thing (that is kind of funny too), is I tend to make the facial expression my character is making. Biting the lip, frowning, smirking, it mirrors right onto my face. I have noticed this only because I was webcamming with someone while RPing, so I was much more aware of how my face was. When I realized I was making the same face as my character...well, it was amusing. XD
Necros

A man far wiser than me once said that "the only things that change your life, are the people you meet and the books you read" Role Playing affords us both, so it's only natural that it would change our outlook on life and how we behave in any given situation. Why just the other day the immigrant pizza boy gave me incorrect change, in hopes of getting a bigger tip, and rather than just ignore it, or even call him on it, I hoped to cast Draguslave and completely obliterate his soul.
It has happened multiple times to me and it is really awesome when it does. I usually enter this state around act 2 of a book, and usually won't stop reading until forced or when the book is finished, it's really awesome.

I had a lot of this in Mass Effect 2 as well, and strangely enough during the playthrough with my female biotic.

In RP it happens usually in more live-paced rps on Furcadia, it's fun because your characters suddenly start doing things you hadn't originally planned.
It most definitely happens to me while reading. But then, I believe half the fun in reading is letting yourself fall into the characters as entirely as possible. Being swept into another world and another mind. The same is for rp. Experiencing the emotion of your characters seems pretty important in understanding how to respond. Knowing your character is sad and responding on how you think a sad person should respond is much different than feeling the sadness of your character and being able to respond in the way that their mind should work. I don't know if that all just made any sense!

You are on: Forums » RP Discussion » Does roleplay & reading affect your behavior too?

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus