Skip to main content

Forums » Fantasy Roleplay » Across the Sea [closed]

"Ahhh my friend, to me.. personally... it is worth everything and nothing all at the same time" explained Taff coming over and sitting besides the serpent calmly on the rocks.

"I am but a cursed soul, one of a kind at that, without any redemption to be had or found" commented Taff speaking in truth

"For the woman I love died helplessly in my arms many centuries ago and for all the powers I inherited I could neither save nor bring her back to life.

What is holding power over all worth when the heart is wrenched and torn, when it is empty and void? All the treasures knowledge and powers of this living world are worth nothing to me, for not even in death can I join my fair love, immortals cannot die after all" explained Taff patting the serpent's head patiently resigned

"You will come to pass, one day, and I will be cursed to remember all the friendships lost across all centuries I have lived and the ones that will come by and be none the better for it" pointed out Taff matter of factly

"All such wisdom and knowledge only teaches me one thing... the more the time goes by, the more losses I stand to suffer, neither gold nor pearls can mend a broken heart my friend" assured Taff

"Now... the seed is also worth everything because as a servant to the empire that lays above the seas, it is my duty to do the utmost for the return of the dormant emperor, in this case, I need ten storm seeds to be gathered to break a terrible curse and unleash the dragons back to their powers and form" admitted Taff

"This seed is as much needed as the other nine, individually, they are not worth much, but together they are worth everything to ensure a fairer kingdom for all" mused Taff
Ryiah Sendara Bet'Lu (played by BreezyDawn) Topic Starter

"Which isss why... " Gron mused, ignoring the petty stroking done by the warlock, though it irked him slightly, "I ask nottt jewels nor treasure of a physical sssoort in exchangee for thisss ssseed. Noo... I willll live onn forr tooo many yearsss for sssuch to be valuable to meee. No offferr from you, warlock would be worthyyy asss you say it isss worth nothing, and everythinnng. Instead as I asssk a voice, embedded in thisss ssshelll. The dragoness's voicee. Perhapsss when all of the ssseeeds have beeen found ..sshe may returnn here to reclaimm her voicee.... in exchangeee for vissitss eacch yearrr, too telll me the talesss of your adventuresss... but until then. I wish her voice... a melody... to keeep mee company in thessee depthsssss." He fell silent a moment, watching the group to see whether they would accept his bargain.
"An offer I will lay down at your feet like none other indeed" mused Taff going to pick up the shell, breaking it open.

"It is an offer that will fill your loneliness and quench your thirst for knowledge and curiosity" accepted Taff picking up the shell and casting a spell upon it

"Here it is... a basin of dimensions and space" presented Taff handing the shell that had an inner silver liquid, placing it gently upon the soft sand.

"Gaze upon it and but say the name of what it is you wish to see and hear, you can gaze upon the mermaids and hear their sweet voices, but more than, through it you can follow our own adventures and trail that we must take to gather up the ten storm seeds.

Behold when you look into it and the time is right, you can see the princess transform into the dragonnes that she is and hear her roar, as she raises to free her father and break the curse. You can talk to me too, by speaking into the shell and I will indeed give you an hour of company each night, past sunset and before sunrise" offered Taff bringing the shell closer to the serpent

"You can see the realms we fare from and the lands and quest we must still endure... would such satisfy you?" asked Taff hesitant seeing company is what he craved most.

Ryiah watched the negotiations, wondering if she would leave the sea with or without a voice, and knowing that whatever the price of the seed, she would pay it. She drifted silently nearby, her amber orange hues riveted to the goings on.

She watched as Gron listened to Taff's alternate offer, his gaze flickering with unknown thoughts until the warlock finished. After what seemed like an eternity, during which Ryiah flicked her gaze to Calico, Taff, and back to Gron, the serpent lifted his mighty head and gave a nod.

"That issss... acceptable to meee. I will keeep thisss shell." With that he gestured his head toward the seed as permission for the warlock to take it up. Carry it wellllll, and disappointed me noot..."
Taff vowed the head lowly and respectfully at the serpent approaching the storm seed with caution and looked at Calico meaningfully

"The rod... the lighting rod..." insisted Taff having turned the lighting rod into the trident to bring it under the water without raising suspicion or causing curiosity among the merfolk.

Calico looked up at Taff in disbelief "Are you telling me that you brought the lighting rod into Oceania?" quizzed baffled

"Don't fret, it looks as real as any other trident" appeased Taff shrugging his shoulders watching Calico proceed forward and touch the seed with the lighting rod, the currents becoming absorved into the trident leaving the shell free to be taken up by hand

"Aha! At last proper treasure" smiled Calico pocketting the item into his belt pouch and turning to Ryiah.

"When you are ready... princess..." muttered Calico wondering if the dragoness would demand this one off him as well

Ryiah raised her eyebrow at Calico pocketing the see, yet as she was not in her dragoness form, she felt more in control of the treasure collecting impulses. With a shake of her head and a wry grin, she turned and almost began her swim upward, then suddenly hesitated, feeling a nearly overwhelming reluctance to return to the surface.

Swimming back down to the sand she looked back toward the mer-city where she could see the faint forms gliding through the waters and hear a faint melody, achingly beautiful. No... she didn't want to leave. Glancing down at herself, the blue scales glinting as if in answer she looked to Taff and Calico. "I could stay here forever." She breathed out, forgetting the seed and the mission for the time being, longing taking over. "This is where I belong." She added, as if trying to add import to her words, making them more believable. Reaching down she collected a pretty purple shell which glinted nearly the color of the scales on her back, and traced it's curves with a soft finger, staring at it as if mesmerized. Oh how she loved shells... Giggling she turned to show it to Calico Jack. "It's so beautiful." She murmered.
Lucky for Calico, he wrapped an arm around the princess.

"Come now... you know you prefer treasure and gold... come on, my dear" smiled Calico leading her to the surface and away from Oceania

"I am sure we can return here... some day... if Taff allows it" added a tad more respectful, feeling the longing as strongly but being a man of word, like all knights, lords and army warriors were. He shook such thoughts from himself and glided the waters holding her hand to bring her and Taff up to the surface again, relieved they would not have to fight the currents of the now gone whirlpools.

Oceania was indeed a stunning world of its own, a worry free world. It surprised him that Taff could so casually walk away from it almost unaffected to return to a life of servitude and misery, bossed by all and acknowledged by few, for servants rarely were.

No sooner they were closer to the surface Calico offered her the storm seed, certain the dragon nature within her would convince her somehow to finally leave the waters and get back onto the row boat

With Calico's arm around Ryiah's waist, she allowed herself to be lead up through the depths, still clutching the shell. When the reached the surface, her head poking up, she glanced between the shell and the dragon seed, torn between the two. Her orange amber hues flickered with indecision and she slowly reached out for the seed, biting her lower lip.

Finally, sighing, she dropped the shell, watching it float back down until it dissappeared in the darkness below the surface, holding onto the seed. Longing and regret filled her, but she also felt a slight giddiness as she clutched the second storm seed. Oh yes, they were making progress.

She grinned, then set the seed carefully in the boat, before hauling herself up and onto the side, her fins helping give her the momentum she needed. As she settled onto the boat, tail still draped over the side. She watched with sadness as her scales shimmered a bit, changing back into her own pale and flawless skin, legs dipping into the water where there had once been fins. The blue shells covering her chest remained however, and she flung a grateful look to Taff, before climbing into the boat and using her cloak to wrap around her lower half. Grabbing the seed once again, she held it in her lap, gazing raptly at it, as the pull of the sea gradually faded a bit.
"Well that went better than I thought. I am in no position to command your return princess" admitted Taff rubbing the back of his neck, waving appropriate attire for the three of them

"This is but one of the many wonders, when we go to the volcanos, you´ll get to be a phoenix. You'll see what majestic is" assured Taff with a small smile his hand summoning the shell back up

"You can keep it, as a memory, of my worse" grinned Taff leaving it on her lap as well
When all this is over and I am back at the palace scrubbing floors clean, you´ll have a reminder of that peaceful Oceania

Ryiah glanced down as they began to row the boat back toward the Nonesuch , seeing herself now clad in a dress, Taff once again working his magic. The fabric was mottled sea green and blues, sleeveless for the warmth of the day, reminiscent of their time spent in the depths of oceana. A smile curled Ry's lips upward and she fingered the fabric.

"I should have guessed you'd put me in a dress..." she murmered good naturedly, feeling the dress a very comfortable one, light and airy. Then her gaze grew more serious. "Taff. When we get back to the empire, you will no longer be a servant... I will make sure to that. You have well earned your freedom and handsome pay also."
"I rather be a servant, your highness" explained Taff in a warm smile

"Though I can always go to work at the barracks and dungeons if my presence inconveniences you" offered Taff watching Calico smile broadly

"Now now, Taff, I have seen your face of repulse, and of anxious disgust whilst serving gruel at the prisoners. I am not sure you ought to go back to working at the barracks, actually. Next time, you may not be so lucky as to encounter such a friendly assailant as I can be." reminded Calico his memories fading back to the moment he caught the warlock backing from the guards

"The guards get too frisky and cosy for your own good and sanity, I know... I was there and I saw their clearly unwanted advances, judging by your red cheeks and stammering voice" chuckled Calico lightly shaking his head

Brow furrowing, Ryiah gave a small nod to Taff. "If you insist... I will make sure you have the position of your choosing. " she raised an eyebrow at Calico's words, shooting an uncertain look to Taff. "Yes, perhaps it would be best if you did not work at the barracks or dungeons, those house the seediest of men most times. There are many other positions that are much nicer."

Glancing ahead she saw the Nonesuch much closer now, where they would dock in only a few moments. She smiled, her heart glad to soon be back aboard the ship. Her mind then turned to the next seed and what lay ahead. With a glance to Calico, she murmered, "I would never have guessed where my life would be taking me only a few short months ago. So much has happened since then.." her gaze fell to her lap, thinking of her quick flight from the empire, and all those she once called friends now wanting her death. She thought on her first meeting with the Pirate Jack, taken on board to be a woman of pleasure, then their recent adventures. A smile curved her lips upward, yes, many adventures indeed, and more to come. She looked forward to them, excitement glittering in her gaze.
"I was always the manservant" stammered Taff a hard swallow at the memory of those inappropriate guards.

"We have collected 2 storm seeds so far, in this next quest we are going to collect another two at the same time, because green gem comes from floods, waterfalls and tsunamis and the silver gem comes from the hailstorms and avalanches. There is a high mountain on this island over here... the peak is always covered in snow, if we get the silver gem and glide down to the glacier we may be able to collect the green gem from its water falls, as the snow melts" explained Taff

"It is going to get very cold and watch your footing too... you know how treacherous ice can be..." muttered Taff making a drawing of the island layout.

Snow is as beautiful as it is deadly and dangerous, one must not understimate its force... as it melts away..." murmured Taff trying to figure how to best do that.

"Have you ever seen snow princess?" quizzed Taff curious

As they docked the boat with the much larger ship, Ryiah turned to consider Taff's words, her eyes lighting up at the thought. "No... I have not." Yet she yearned to see what she had heard tales of, the glistening white frozen rain, somtimes soft, sometimes hard and unyielding. She longed to feel it, to see it sparkle. "I can't wait." She said with a grin, then shot a glance at the silent Calico and shoved his shoulder a bit.

"Wake up captain pirate. We are back at the ship." With a wink she turned to climb the ladder, hoisting herself up and over the side railing of the beautiful brigantine despite being in a dress. With a glance around, she felt a stab of unease as her gaze fell upon Morgan's men. She had forgotten their release. What if they turned? With their numbers they could easily subue them. Gaze flickering a bit, she bit her bottom lip and lifted her chin defiantly. Well, should that ever occur, Morgan would find her a troublesome captive, and perhaps find her daggar in his side as well. One betrayal was enough.

Evening had filtered in once again, the sun moving down to its resting place, and stars could be seen twinkling overhead, the nights peace almost speaking of danger to come. Ryiah glanced upward and inhaled a deep breath of the fresh sea air, feeling the boat roll beneath her feet as it responded to the for now gentle waves. A whisp of wind toyed with a few locks of her hair, which brushed softly against her cheek. Her head turned toward the horizon, where far behind them lay her empire. Two down and eight to go, father... she thought silently.
Calico followed returned to the ship glancing at Morgan with a smirk upon his face.

"Worry not, dear, Morgan won't offer rebellion... it would cost him men's lives. If I needed to know one weakness about him is his loyalty to his men" assured Calico in a soft voice at Ryiah

"Henry... order your men, back to the oars.... where we are going, you will need the exercise to keep warm. The glaciers up nothern isles can get very cold" warned Calico watching the man sigh and accept the suggestion, calling all army soldiers to take up their appointed oar and row further forward.

"It will be very cold up in the higher ground, you will need warm clothes, princess..." explained Taff selecting the winter range attire from her mother's cupboard and laying it on the bed, leaving the princess to get changed as he stood outside patiently

"If they row all night, tomorrow morning we will reach the frozen waters... you must have blankets upon your bedding" assured Taff

The further the ship advanced, at a steady pace, the colder the weather became, icy winds and blizzards setting upon the ship at dawn hours and making their journey all the more perillous.

The ship rocked with the unsteady rough seas but Taff was much too exhausted to even notice anything was amiss, bar the shivering chills

Her mother didn't have many, yet as Taff stepped out of the room Ryiah's eyes fell on one of the dresses, lightly fur trimmed in a deep blue color lined with gold.

With difficulty she slipped out of her dress, the cool night air kissing her skin as she turned to try putting the dress on. Finally, once she had it as much as she could, she pushed a few wild strands of hair behind an ear and moved to the door. Pushing her head out with am exasperated sigh she eyed Taff, cheeks a bit pink. "I need help with... the fastenings." Her arms weren't long enough to reach them all. The dress was warm already, comfortable mostly, the fabric very soft to the touch. "I do not know if my mother has extra blankets for bedding aboard... as far as I know she did not oft travel to cold places. Yet, I did not realize she had warmer dresses either, it stays so warm where I am from."

After being helped, Ryiah would stretch out on the bed, extea covers or no, and attempt to get a few hours of sleep, the air growing ever more frigid, and causing her to shiver a bit, though the dress helped with this, lined with fur.
Taff bowed gracefully before the princess, mild blush tainting his cheeks redder than they were by the bitter cold, keeping his eyes focused on her back and its purple scales as he fastened the dress gently. Once finished, he bowed gracefully again going to the captain's quarters and returning with a thick warm cloak

"Captain Calico insists the princess is to keep warm aboard his vessel..." reported Taff offering the gown with a broad smile

"I assure you, your highness, this route is often used when pirates are reported to be lurking our warmer seas, it has spared your father and mother's lives many a times. Below decks, in the hold, I can fetch more blankets and warmer clothing, if you give permission..." asked Taff through shattering teeth, the cold becoming more evident

For once, he was indeed envious of the rowers for they somewhat had a chance to keep warm.

"Rum... bring out the rum and warm wine... all men must drink, all captives too... down at least two cups each" demanded Calico feeling the icy wind redden his cheeks already

"I am NOT drinking whilst on duty..." hissed Morgan in dismay at the suggestion

"Shall I lighten your men's load then?" quizzed Calico firmly gazing at the army crew ready to make good on his threat

"Er... that won't be necessary... sir... I will gladly share on your courtesies" rectified Morgan in a wince, first in line to take two large mugs of ale and warm wine, bringing the number to four cups for the matter.

"Glad you see things... my way..." smirked Calico before bringing the warm and alcoholic bevarages to the princess

He knocked the door to her chambers but did not barge in, waiting for her to give permission before venturing inside.

"You must have some too, your highness, more so being a dragon, you will feel the cold all the more bitterly" explained Calico his eyes besotted in the vision in blue as his lips drew up a warm smile as he presented his offering

Frosty breath escaped Ryiah's lips, the air exhaled could be seen a light fog on the winds. She shivered again, teeth chattering a bit, bit a glint of excitement still blazed in eyes. She quickly gave her permission to Taff, then spoke to him as he turned to go. "Put something warmer on Taff. If you have to, You wear Calico's cloak, at least I have a warm dress..." she worried about the warlock.

She huddled into the pirates cloak for now, the cold seeming to bite deeply into her chestamd freeze her very bones. Outside her room she could hear the men calling out as they rowed, the better to keep themselves warm. A knock on her door sounded, and she called out to enter, seeing Calico Jack slip inside holding cups and drink.

She moved over so he could sit next to her, reaching for one of the cups, sniffing it. She grinned and took a quick swig, hoping the fiery liquid would warm her insides. It burned going down and even though her eyes watered slightly at the strength of it, she drank more, feeling the liquid thaw her just a fraction.

"Are you keeping warm alright?" She asked the pirate captain, her gaze going to his cloak around her shoulders. "I don't wish to keep you from your cloak. I can manage without it. And I worry about Taff. His clothes are thin and he seems to be freezing." Her chin lifted. "I don't wish to stay warm while others freeze. However nice it may be."
"We are commoners and sailors, we are used to harsher weathers than a delicate princess who is kept safe in a warm castle.
As for Taff, well, he is a warlock I am sure he will survive perfectly fine. Druids do control the elements after all, if he chooses not to warm up, then that's his folly" concluded Calico not about to tell Taff what to do with his own abilities.

"Come, there's a blizzard right outside, you can see the gentle snow fall on deck" invited Calico if she so wished,

"I do let my men practice their target skills throwing snow balls on deck" admitted with a small smile, daring her to accept such challenge
Calico motioned for her to keep the cloak

"We are commoners and sailors, we are used to harsher weathers than a delicate princess who is kept safe in a warm castle. As for Taff, well, he is a warlock I am sure he will survive perfectly fine. Druids do control the elements after all, if he chooses not to warm up, then that's his folly" concluded Calico not about to tell Taff what to do with his own abilities.

"Come, there's a blizzard right outside, you can see the gentle snow fall on deck" invited Calico if she so wished,

"I do let my men practice their target skills throwing snow balls on deck" admitted with a small smile

"I suppose, your highness is too delicate and fragile to join it... aren't you?" quizzed Calico , daring her to accept such challenge

The scenery itself was indeed rather breathtaking the closer they got to the island, crystal deep blue waters and icycles forming along the deck at the posts and roof edges, making it indeed an overall white wintry view

You are on: Forums » Fantasy Roleplay » Across the Sea [closed]

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ben, Darth_Angelus