Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » Daylight savings time - tips to get through it?

Sanne Moderator

In the night from Saturday to Sunday (March 26th->27th), Daylight savings goes into effect here in the Netherlands and other parts of Europe. The clock will go one hour forward.

THEY'RE STEALING MY PRECIOUS HOUR OF SLEEP OMGOMGOM-

Ahem. I mean, I'm very displeased that I'm losing an hour of my life during this period and will likely be somewhat cranky and off my rocker, on my birthday no less. :( I'm terrible at dealing with the change of time.

Does anyone have any tips to combat the effects of this transition? Something to help make it go smoother or make the effects less noticeable?
Simply put, I don't change my clock. Instead I know that I am an hour ahead and instead set my alarm to wake up an 'hour early' to trick myself that I am running late. However, as bushwhacking as that may sound I've never been tired nor grumpy at work. The employers also commend me on my punctuality no less. Then, when the clock rolls back where you gain an hour, I simply put my clocks ahead an hour to continue the trickery amongst myself.
Kim Site Admin

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

My solution would be exercise, which not only tends to release endorphins (after a certain point... You gotta get through the uncomfortable bits first) that combat depression and grumpiness, but sets your body up to be ready to accept new rest schedules. Just don't do it too late in the day.

Yeah I know, no one ever wants to hear this particular bit of advice when they are tired.
Kim Site Admin

Sherlock wrote:
Simply put, I don't change my clock. Instead I know that I am an hour ahead and instead set my alarm to wake up an 'hour early' to trick myself that I am running late. However, as bushwhacking as that may sound I've never been tired nor grumpy at work. The employers also commend me on my punctuality no less. Then, when the clock rolls back where you gain an hour, I simply put my clocks ahead an hour to continue the trickery amongst myself.

Wow that sounds like an intricate game of chess with your brain.
Kim wrote:
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

My solution would be exercise, which not only tends to release endorphins (after a certain point... You gotta get through the uncomfortable bits first) that combat depression and grumpiness, but sets your body up to be ready to accept new rest schedules. Just don't do it too late in the day.

Yeah I know, no one ever wants to hear this particular bit of advice when they are tired.

I have a solution for that: WII FIT PLUS! Or alternatively, Wii Sports Resort.
That's how I get my exercise since I love games, and the games on those two are pretty fun and give you a nice work out! :D
Sanne Topic Starter Moderator

Kim wrote:
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

NOT UNTIL SUNDAY, BUT THANK YOU ANYWAY <3

Ugh, I wish! I can't run for long or far.. I'm overweight with a big chest that knocks the breath out of me. I manage to sprint for my bus or train on an almost daily basis, but it's the most uncomfortable thing ever. XD I don't know of any other exercises that I can keep up long enough. Got any alternatives to running and stuff?

@Sherlock: I've tried tricking myself, but it doesn't work for me. My biological clock is set firmly to the normal time, if daylight saving goes in it gets so out of whack..My brain has no say in the matter. :(

Copper_Dragon wrote:
Kim wrote:
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

I have a solution for that: WII FIT PLUS! Or alternatively, Wii Sports Resort.
That's how I get my exercise since I love games, and the games on those two are pretty fun and give you a nice work out! :D

Can you ship all that to the Netherlands for my birthday gift? I've literally not a single console game here! My sister took the PS2 and that's the best we've ever owned. *is such a PC girl*
Darth_Angelus Moderator

My solution would be to start an uprising that does not end until daylight savings is abolished.

Happy birthday in advance Sanne! :)

darth_angelus wrote:
My solution would be to start an uprising that does not end until daylight savings is abolished.

Thanks!

Though... please explain to me what you mean with uprising? o.O
Hmmmm. If possible start daylight savings time early? Like the day before? We had daylight savings time here a few weeks ago. I'm horrible for changing my clocks, I still have one (out of five) that I have yet to set forward an hour.
Kim Site Admin

Sanne wrote:
darth_angelus wrote:

Thanks!

Though... please explain to me what you mean with uprising? o.O

I think he meant rebellion. XD
Sanne wrote:
Can you ship all that to the Netherlands for my birthday gift? I've literally not a single console game here! My sister took the PS2 and that's the best we've ever owned. *is such a PC girl*

I would, but our Wii + games are primarily my mother's! D: Nonetheless happy birthday, Sanne. I'll pretend ship you a Wii and some cookies as compensation!
Darth_Angelus Moderator

Kim wrote:
I think he meant rebellion. XD

Yes! Rebel against the evil that is daylight savings time!

Disclaimer: my solutions are not always practical.
Kim wrote:
Sherlock wrote:

Wow that sounds like an intricate game of chess with your brain.

That it is and it constantly keeps me from being late. The cubical can't function without its trusty rump sitting in that cushy chair.
Dragonfire Moderator

I have a clock I haven't changed, either - can't figure out how the stupid thing works. *punts it* Worst UI ever for a radio!

Mostly, though, I've always made sure to change the clock before I go to bed, and to not have anything super-important scheduled for that Sunday. I find it never takes more than a day for myself to adjust, personally, but maybe I'm just weird like that.

*drags herself across the floor, nails screeching and looking almost dead*

I survived my birthday party just barely and got through work today, but oh my god am I EXHAUSTED. :( :(

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » Daylight savings time - tips to get through it?

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus