Skip to main content

Forums » Forum Games » Superstitions?

Honestly, I don't know if this topic has been done yet, but I was really curious: do any of you have these superstitions that you believe in? I had to ask, because it's Friday the 13th, and everyone calls it bad luck and stuff. Though, there's also other things like if you step on a crack, you break your mother's back, stepping under a ladder gives you bad luck, along with breaking a mirror, opening an umbrella indoors, and simply looking at a black cat is believed to be bad luck. The list goes on, but I'm sure you get the idea. Do any of you have anything like that, or do you not believe in any of it? The only superstition I have is believing in beginner's luck, though I'm sure that comes from my competitive drive. But I was curious to know from all of you, do you have any superstitions?
I don’t know if it’s a superstition, but I’ve taken to believing in the multiverse. Along with beginners luck.
I also believe that walking under the balcony of the LaLaurie mansion, which I was too scared to do when I visited it, attracts the ghost of the slaves who died there to follow you wherever you go.
I honesty believe in karma and spirits.
I’m not sure if the second is a superstition as such, but some things you do could attract some spirits or ghost stories or something like that? Idk.
I definitely believe in karma. Whatever you do comes twice as hard back.
Be nice, then!! ^^”
I was raised with a couple of superstitions, one I follow even though it's completely unrealistic; setting up and making your bed before nightfall when moving into a new place lest you get nightmares for your entire stay. My mum was an odd duck, and she passed it on to me. Luckily, I don't move that often. XD
Lupus-Raziel-Shadows

Karma, karma is a big thing that I believe.
-Meatavore- wrote:
I don’t know if it’s a superstition, but I’ve taken to believing in the multiverse.

This. This and beginner's luck. I got lucky in so many games when I first started, but when I got more experienced, my luck bit so bad half the time.

But I did believe in tossing salt over your shoulder if you knocked it over to deter bad luck. Still kinda do... Shh...

And of course, karma. I kinda also believe in fate, but that's neither here or there.
Hades_

Saying "Bless You" to ward away bad energies and beings when someones sneezes. I even have a habit of saying Bless You to complete strangers. I don't see it in the religious sense, but man I do see it in pushing away the baddies. I actually do get a little annoyed or paranoid when someone doesn't say it to me when I sneeze.
Karma, totally. Though is that considered superstition? Anyway, I don't believe in that kind of stuff but in a town where I study is a town hall with huge pillars in the front and if you walk by it in a wrong way, you supposedly won't graduate. Well, I'm not taking any chances and always kind of stay cautious 😂
I'm a huge skeptic and I have a hard time believing even some written history. I don't believe in luck or karma or anything supernatural. However...

Each and every computer and piece of technology capable of inexplicably breaking can function properly again if you hold your mouth in a very specific way that might be unique to each device.
I was raised on throwing salt over your shoulder when you spill it... Also, my memre has burned into me "If you sing at the table while you're eating, you summon the devil" (Yes, she actually said this to me)

Being in the whole theatre thing for the past 9 or so years, I've naturally picked an odd set of superstitions (actors are VERY superstitious people). Before every performance, you MUST, AND I MEAN MUST go to as many of your fellow cast members as you can and do a special handshake. You cross your arms, usually at wrist or mid-forearm, fist your hands (but leave your pinkies out), grab their pinkies in yours, then shake your arms up and down and say "Break a leg" for good luck. Yeah. That's an actual thing we do.

I also believe heavily in spirits and all those and like... There are definitely ways to get those near you, but a good way to get rid of them is what I like to call the "Fairy and Vampire Rule" (anything that hurts a fairy or vampire can be rid of evil spirits, generally. Salt, iron, holy water, etc).

Also, giving a magical being your name is a bad idea. They can use their magic to control you. I don't know how much I believe this, but I think if I met a malicious magic being, I would believe wholeheartedly.
I recently went on a trip back to my hometown and I realize that every time I board a plane I'll knock on the outside of it as I cross the threshold for good luck.

No idea when I started it, just caught myself doing it this last time.
Whenever I find a coin heads-down I pass it on to someone else. If I find it heads-up, I keep it. I don't know where I picked this up, but something about thinking that heads-down coins want to keep traveling on?

It seems harmless enough so I've held on to the thought pattern despite its obvious flaws.
As a practicing witch with a mind probably a little too open for her own good, I just kind of assume most superstitions have some grain of truth to them, or people wouldn't have bothered to come up with them to begin with. If I find a coin heads-down, I don't pick it up, but I flip it over for someone else to find. I avoid all the cracks in a sidewalk. If I have a gut bad feeling about going down a street, I usually do a detour. I grew up with black cats, though, and they gave me more good luck than bad. I also generally try not to bother animals or people pan-handling on the corner, because I grew up with too many stories about them being spirits or gods in disguise.

I always give some of my food to crows when I'm out walking.

I have never seen a ghost, or associated phenomena, but my mom and several friends have claimed to have seen such things, and so I have an inkling that there may be some truth to that.

YEAH. I'd say I'm superstitious. lol
I have a funny story about this. I used to be tasked with emptying and filling the dishwasher when I was a kid, and there were six slots for silverware. I would put a piece of silverware in each slot and count them as I did, and if the number came to a multiple of 3 or 6 — if I either completely filled the rack or half-filled it exactly — today would be a good day. Anything else was bad luck.

I don’t remember how it came up, but I ended up telling this to my grade two teacher. She says to me, “oh, so you’re superstitious!”

Being from a family of skeptics, I got really offended. No, I wasn’t superstitious! I just like things to be tidy!

Anyways, I don’t brook with much actual superstition these days, although I do knock on wood when I end up saying something or hearing something that seems to wish or predict ill on a person. I don’t think it does anything, but it feels right to do.

You are on: Forums » Forum Games » Superstitions?

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus