Skip to main content

Forums » RP Discussion » Worldbuilding help

Hey guys! What kind of info do you need or want if you're playing in a strict setting RP group, or in a small group via PM's?

I know I over-write. If I can focus on topics players need for character creation, that would be really helpful!

I plan to have a world 'bible' on back-up to answer any questions, but I don't know what to call out to get people jazzed and feeling ready to roll.
pltjess

I don't know if I may be an odd duck, but I generally need a pretty good overview of the world to wrap my head around it enough to create a solid character. Something about the scope, character races, whether or not certain important roles are already taken (say for example a monarchy)...

Maybe it's just me, but I tend to get hung up on details during character creation in someone else's world. I worry about being too creative because I don't want to do something out of bounds, so some sort of note about what boundaries may be with powers or origins would always be helpful.

Sometimes though, over-writing or giving too much minute detail can make things so daunting it doesn't seem there's anywhere left for someone to fit.

I also have no idea if I just wrote anything helpful... XD
From my experience (because I overwrite as well), it's good to keep the information succinct and relevant to what the other players may most likely encounter in a normal session, and then fill in extra info as people need it.

For example, for Mäthalun (the fictional continent I created to host the majority of my OCs): I have a lore page on each relevant character's profile explaining how that world is different than your typical medieval fantasy universe. I also have an entire offline wiki with more information, but I will not force other people to dredge through an encyclopedia to interact with my characters or explore that world. x-x

The lore page (one of which you can find here) shows a map of the setting, an explanation of the dominant race and quick physical and cultural description of each subgroup, an explanation of the widely-accepted religion, the class and caste system that shapes the society and its politics, and how romance/courting/marriage is different in this world than in the usual context. If people have questions beyond what's provided, I can usually clarify through PMs.

Basically: whatever a player is likely to go 'wut' about, you want to include...but don't make it a solid wall of text! Break it up into digestible sections, or people might become intimidated or get lost reading through it and will not be able to easily reference the information they need to find.
dray Topic Starter

So as long as it's relatively easy to navigate upon re-read, it's probably okay to write a bunch for people who want to know more....

Focusing on what players need to build a character makes sense; I'll keep that in mind!

Thank you both. :] Those are insightful--and Lexy, your species info is so freaking cool! I'm glad there are pronunciation guides for the races or I would have trouble getting that right. I love reading about species and cultural divisions... it's kind of fun to see where your own might place with the given info!
First things first, write a short story set in your world before you set up a Encyclopedia. This short story could be anything from a present day story set in the world, to even a historical event that has taken place. This story needs to have five basic fundamentals
1. Setting- Figure out where your story is, what is in the world, and try to cement a visual in mind. This will help you figure out things like scale of your world, what type of climates it has, where do particular things live.

2. Races- Get your races out of the way. Have the story center around interaction between themselves, figure out if one race hates another, if there are alliances, if there are sworn nemeses

3. Have a ultimate motive- Much like Lord of the Rings is about Frodo going off to destroy the One Ring, you need to have a driving force for your characters to work towards. This could be as cliché as saving a poor damsel, to even bigger things like preventing a cataclysm

4. Have some... smaller motives- Side Quests are a huge part of diverting a story to have some fun outside the impending doom and gloom of following the same goal. I typically set them to start on poster boards, in taverns, maybe even being approached by some sort of character. Side Quests should focus on having something to change to when the main mission begins to grow stale, and should always include loot to reward the player or characters

5. The most important bit, remember that this is fiction- We can control every aspect of this world, we hold it in our hands like clay ready to mold. If something is not turning out the way you planned, it is alright to toss a Deus Ex Machina, a extra handy player, or even something powerful to aid the quest. All of this is in your hands

Now that the short story is done, take a look back on it and reflect about some aspects you want to keep. Take these and start to explain the different climates, the races, the conflicts, the history. Throw all of these aspects into your big book of lore!
I've only truly built one world and I actually did the opposite of Thatguywhogames. I built it as I got inspiration for it. If I got an idea, I would work on it, make an article, find a picture and I ended up finding out this way, (no to mention surprised myself in the process), that I was quite adept at coming up with flora, fauna and deities.

The two major downsides is that, 1. the world became an encyclopedia of knowledge, and while that makes the world in depth, and helps immerse someone, it's an overwhelming amount of information. I think that's a difficult place to draw a fine line, because if you love D&D there's a lot, but you have to want to put in the effort & creativity.

As for 2. Finding a group of mature enough people willing to put in effort is the trickiest part. So, this brings up a major point; you can have a good idea, but will it sell?
dray Topic Starter

I love all these approaches! Thanks, guys!

I figure that the world will sell to the intended audience if I pitch it like they want to hear: concise, showing the hook with a few extra barbs for folks who like the idea but might want to take things a slightly different way, some diplomatic tact and display of boundaries or rules of admission to show adequate moderator qualities...

I dunno, for me the trouble is fleshing things out. I like to pitch!

You are on: Forums » RP Discussion » Worldbuilding help

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus