Skip to main content

Forums » Introductions » Hello!

I got linked to this place by a friend of mine, who is apparently Heimdall here? Anyway, it seemed interesting, so I decided to join! I go by either LG or Lyse (the former is the handle I've used for years, the latter is the one I use on those sites that want 3+ characters in a name, and I answer to both). I'm your typical introverted derpy geek; I'm really into reading, writing, video games, and horses. Fantasy and science fiction are my favorite genres for... just about everything, including RPing.

Nice to meet you all! ^_^
Sanne Moderator

Hi! Wow! I'm just checking out your character Wizard and that's a lot of text! I'll have to sit down properly and read it this weekend. The bits and pieces I caught are really interesting so far. :3

What kind of books do you read? Do you have a favorite author? (Mine's Stephen King, lovelovelove his works) And where have you RPed before?

*bounces excitedly asking too many questions*
SeraphicStar

Greetings! Be very welcome to this place. You'll love it, I'm sure. :)
Yuka

Welcome to RPR! :D
Heya!! Welcome to RPR! :D You'll love it here!

Heimdall is awesome!
Lyse Topic Starter

Sanne wrote:
Hi! Wow! I'm just checking out your character Wizard and that's a lot of text! I'll have to sit down properly and read it this weekend. The bits and pieces I caught are really interesting so far. :3
Hahaha, that's pretty much the longest bio I've ever written. Wizard's been bouncing around from RP to RP for going on eight years now, so he's built up a lot of history and character development.
Sanne wrote:
What kind of books do you read? Do you have a favorite author? (Mine's Stephen King, lovelovelove his works)
It would be really hard to pick an absolute favorite author! Up there are Lois McMaster Bujold, Diane Duane, Isaac Asimov, and Andre Norton... to give a massively abbreviated list. I read mostly medieval fantasy and older science fiction, but my tastes are really pretty wide-ranging--anything that even vaguely fits into speculative fiction, plus mysteries and thrillers. Though I haven't actually read much Stephen King, because I've always gotten the impression his works are on the horror end and horror's the one thing I can't really enjoy. :(
Sanne wrote:
And where have you RPed before?
Tons of places! Pern, a bunch of medieval fantasy games of various sorts, a few freeform forums, some very loose LiveJournal RP.... Right now I'm in a medieval-fantasy creature-bonding game and a Pokemon game, and on hiatus in a Harvest Moon game.

What about you?
SeraphicStar wrote:
Greetings! Be very welcome to this place. You'll love it, I'm sure. :)
senny wrote:
Welcome to RPR! :D
Thank you! :D
CelestinaGrey wrote:
Heya!! Welcome to RPR! :D You'll love it here!

Heimdall is awesome!
Thanks! :D And I most whole-heartedly agree with that last statement. ^_^
Sanne Moderator

Stephen King doesn't write only Horror. His series The Dark Tower is an excellent piece of fiction that combines fantasy, science fiction and modern stories into one great epic. It's a little rough to get through the first book, but once you're sucked in you can't get out. He has a great way of creating what appear to be innocent events, insignificant occurrences, then later totally blow you away by linking one great plot twist after another to these events. His characters develop amazingly well throughout the series and are very realistic with it.

.. Now I ramble. Stephen King wrote many horror stories, but his count of novels/stories lies well above 200. He can be very diverse, albeit disturbing at times. I'm a fan of Horror though, so pretty much everything he's written appeals to me.

I must admit I've never heard of any of those authors you listed, but that can be due to the fact I'm Dutch and English novels aren't as widely spread here. Most of it is translated to Dutch (as are most Stephen King books), and I hate that. I prefer reading stories in their original language, but it makes it difficult to get to a wide variety of authors in general. :(

As for RP? I started on Neopets, evolved to Furcadia, have done some forum roleplays... :) I love playing Oblivion and create those characters into my own fictional ones on RPR as of late.
Lyse Topic Starter

Maybe I'll try out one of his books some time, then!

It's a pity you've never heard of any of those authors; they're all good.

Oblivion as in The Elder Scrolls? :D I am a huge Morrowind junky myself!
Ilmarinen Moderator

GLEE! +1 LGs! :D
Lyse Topic Starter

Heimdall wrote:
GLEE! +1 LGs! :D
:D Your recruitment pitch was irresistible.

We must do something together at some point! I miss RPing with you. <3
Ilmarinen Moderator

Jeez, yes! :D I totally miss RPing Pern with you. ;_; I really want to find a Pern community that isn't full of crazy noncanon stuff, but that's also sorta relaxed since I've only read a handful of the books. >_> I think El might want to RP Pern again, too.

Or just anything, really! I may make a trainer for that pokemon RP you showed me, but it seems pretty intense for me. XD; I want poke-RP that's a bit more cutesy and like the anime, I think.

I've been wanting to kick some kinda RP up on these forums because it's the perfect place, and I have some ideas... do you at all remember Gatsule? I'm not sure if I ever went public with it. (I'm kicking myself so hard right now for losing my old topcities password, because I had everything written down there. >__<) It was a place where there were these big, semi-intelligent, elephant-like creatures that people would train and use like workhorses. I've always loved the notion of having an "animal handling" RP rather than a "bonded" RP, where your critter isn't sentient (thought it may be like dolphin-smart), you aren't magically bound to it or anything, but where it still is very important to you and the RP.
Lyse Topic Starter

Heimdall wrote:
Jeez, yes! :D I totally miss RPing Pern with you. ;_; I really want to find a Pern community that isn't full of crazy noncanon stuff, but that's also sorta relaxed since I've only read a handful of the books. >_> I think El might want to RP Pern again, too.
I would rather like to get back into Pern, too. :< I miss NIW and our characters there so much.
Heimdall wrote:
Or just anything, really! I may make a trainer for that pokemon RP you showed me, but it seems pretty intense for me. XD; I want poke-RP that's a bit more cutesy and like the anime, I think.
It is possible to stay on the more cutesy end of the spectrum there, especially with a coordinator! They could hang out with my light-and-bubbles coordinator and stick their fingers in their ears and hum about the creepy stuff! ...But yeah, I know what you mean. XD;; I honestly didn't know how intense it was until a while after I joined. But I'm serious about it actually being lighter than anything else I found. What is it with people and wanting to make Pokemon super-GrimDark? D:

...Actually. Before I got insanely busy, I was actually thinking for a while of starting my own, much lighter-themed Pokemon RP. A few serious elements, but not all GrimDark and such. And I've been thinking about it again now that it looks like my life is going to be less busy again. >_> Though I need things to stabilize a bit better first.
Heimdall wrote:
I've been wanting to kick some kinda RP up on these forums because it's the perfect place, and I have some ideas... do you at all remember Gatsule? I'm not sure if I ever went public with it. (I'm kicking myself so hard right now for losing my old topcities password, because I had everything written down there. >__<) It was a place where there were these big, semi-intelligent, elephant-like creatures that people would train and use like workhorses. I've always loved the notion of having an "animal handling" RP rather than a "bonded" RP, where your critter isn't sentient (thought it may be like dolphin-smart), you aren't magically bound to it or anything, but where it still is very important to you and the RP.
I don't think I ever saw Gatsule! But I do love "animal handling." :D That was why I was so excited by and obsessed with the watch-whers, for one. That sounds awesome! I've had a few brief flitting ideas for RPs here, but haven't solidified any of them yet. (Hey, I've only been here a day.) Tell me more about yours! o/
Ilmarinen Moderator

We were toying with the notion of starting up a pokemon RP inspired by the anime--but the plots would be difficult to work out. I was thinking people could take turns "DMing" a little subplot... so they have their own character, but they also play NPCs, decide when major things happen, stuff like that, such that each subplot is like an episode. :P I think it has potential to pick it up, do fun stuff, then put it down for a while. I even have the seeds of one in my mind. But we'll see!

As for the animal-herding plot! <3 I would probably not use Gatsule itself, since I don't have all the info. (Also, the watch-whers were love!) Anyway, I was thinking either feathery raptor-like beasts or the giant elephant-ish thing with big howdas and such awesomeness! But both would require a lot of writing to set up, like back in the old days. XD
Lyse Topic Starter

Heimdall wrote:
We were toying with the notion of starting up a pokemon RP inspired by the anime--but the plots would be difficult to work out. I was thinking people could take turns "DMing" a little subplot... so they have their own character, but they also play NPCs, decide when major things happen, stuff like that, such that each subplot is like an episode. :P I think it has potential to pick it up, do fun stuff, then put it down for a while. I even have the seeds of one in my mind. But we'll see!
That does sound fun! Pokemon has enough potential for character/team interactions that I think that kind of format could work wonderfully without any more overarching plot than the usual "be a champion" one. ^_^ If you do anything with that, definitely let me know!
Heimdall wrote:
As for the animal-herding plot! <3 I would probably not use Gatsule itself, since I don't have all the info. (Also, the watch-whers were love!) Anyway, I was thinking either feathery raptor-like beasts or the giant elephant-ish thing with big howdas and such awesomeness! But both would require a lot of writing to set up, like back in the old days. XD
Yeah, that is a big set-up investment. But I think the set-up pays off, with that kind of game!
Ahoy there, and welcome to the Roleplaying Repository!
A Heim'sbuddy! Hallo thar, and welcome to the RPR, Lyse!
Kim Site Admin

I've seen you chatting in a bunch of threads already! I love an active member. :D

Welcome and welcome again, I am sure you will fit in perfectly here.
Hmmm...I'm late but oh well. Yes welcome to RPR! I ain't loowed at your characters yet but I noticed something about one of em being long bio wise. Sounds fun. Bio wise mine ain't long but the sheet with all my main characters info is long as well. Heh.
Lyse Topic Starter

Wizard wrote:
Ahoy there, and welcome to the Roleplaying Repository!
Copper_Dragon wrote:
A Heim'sbuddy! Hallo thar, and welcome to the RPR, Lyse!
Thank you! ^_^
Kim wrote:
I've seen you chatting in a bunch of threads already! I love an active member. :D

Welcome and welcome again, I am sure you will fit in perfectly here.
:D No better way to get to know a place, right? Besides, I love rambling talking about RP, and this place looks perfect for that. <3
Lance2011 wrote:
Hmmm...I'm late but oh well. Yes welcome to RPR! I ain't loowed at your characters yet but I noticed something about one of em being long bio wise. Sounds fun. Bio wise mine ain't long but the sheet with all my main characters info is long as well. Heh.
That's my eight-year-old character, so I've been tacking on to his bio for nearly as long. I was beginning to forget things about him whenever I hadn't played him in a while, so my solution was to write all of it down. ^^;; The others are not/will not be nearly as wordy, I'm sure.
I know the feeling. All my mains stuff is about 6 to 7 maybe 8 years worth of info that I've jotted down over time. He's also had some little tweaks here and there as well.

You are on: Forums » Introductions » Hello!

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus