Skip to main content

Forums » RP Discussion » Pet Peves in characters and/or RP

Sanne wrote:
Copper, that almost made me want to end my life. I HATEHATEHATE that kind of description. It tells me nothing at all about the character.

And it makes the writer look immature and insecure about their own ability, so even if they were purely going for ego-stroking, it's still self-defeating! Truly amazing.
When people have those depressed mary sues with ridiculous gravity-defying anime hair, wear black to look 'kewl', can attract every hot girl/man in a five mile radius, can have overrated abilities and not to mention have a multiple personality disorder.

Another thing, some people write three paragraphs of nonstop wolfspeak and thesaurus-rape. ;-;
SeraphicStar

Do I even want to know what wolfspeak is.
SeraphicStar wrote:

I had the same question XD Stop being in my head, Seraph.
SeraphicStar

f0x1nth3b0x wrote:
SeraphicStar wrote:

NEVAH
SeraphicStar wrote:
f0x1nth3b0x wrote:
SeraphicStar wrote:

NEVAH

o_o raaaape.
f0x1nth3b0x wrote:
SeraphicStar wrote:
f0x1nth3b0x wrote:
SeraphicStar wrote:

NEVAH

o_o raaaape.

Go look at my last post. That, if I understand right, is pretty close to or is "wolf-speak".
SeraphicStar

That is just... ack.
SeraphicStar wrote:
That is just... ack.

B) You're welcome.
Dragonfire Moderator

Quote:
thesaurus-rape

RL pet-peeve time: can we not call making one's writing overly flowery that, please? The only thing that's like rape is rape. :/

Although I do agree that thesaurus-humping is wholly irritating. I've never liked it, not even back when I actually did a lot of feral wolf RP. I was lucky to be on a site for it that actively discouraged people from writing like that, hehe.
SeraphicStar

Freshblood wrote:
not to mention have a multiple personality disorder.

This. Oh this. No, your character can't be meek now, then a cool collected guy, then a sadistic bastard, then a manipulative monster, then cutesy-wootsy and cuddly just because you feel like it and/or looks cool. I hate that so much.
SeraphicStar wrote:
Freshblood wrote:
not to mention have a multiple personality disorder.

This. Oh this. No, your character can't be meek now, then a cool collected guy, then a sadistic bastard, then a manipulative monster, then cutesy-wootsy and cuddly just because you feel like it and/or looks cool. I hate that so much.

MPD/DID Isn't even like that. I suffer from it in real life and it's nothing like people roleplay it 90% of the time. What you're speaking of sounds more bi-polar or something.

That's something that bugs me right there, if you're bringing a REAL medical condition or something into a roleplay... at least study it up and understand it.
SeraphicStar

Medical issues, especially psychological, are thin ice to thread in RP in general, in my opinion.
SeraphicStar wrote:
Medical issues, especially psychological, are thin ice to thread in RP in general, in my opinion.

Agreed. Like what if you're roleplaying with someone who actually has the condition? They may not want to be reminded of it. Say some character has cancer. Turns out, maybe your roleplay partner does. A roleplay is an escape from life. Don't need to be reminded of it constantly.

Like with my MPD/DID, people think 'oh it must be so cool!' it's not. It sucks to have so little control (luckily I take medication that mostly keeps it under control). And I don't need to see a million characters with it because it's 'cool' or 'trendy'. Um no. I find it offensive.
In the same respect, people aren't just going to stop making characters like that, you know? We can't have a flier we hand out that has personal baggage of what your character can not be or have. I typically like to stay away from people who take disorders like that lightly. Not such a serious matter, but I have had issues with self-harm for a large part of my life. And I see a lot of people with characters who cut or something and it does irritate me but I can't be offended, they clearly don't know any better. I don't know. I just ranted again >< I shouldn't get into these conversations because I feel like I didn't say something right and come off as an idiot.. How am I passable as a writer? XD

I don't mean to offend or belittle your point, Ami.

And actually my main Rin has the same problems. He's like... the me in my head. So not all people are trying to escape life by role playing.
Oh no. I understand your point as well. I try to be open-minded about all characters. It's just when people OVER-DO things like that. Make such things into TRENDS. That's when it gets offensive to me.

Oh, oh, he's a good one.
Characters that try to act cute by saying their name instead of 'I' or whatever.
That gets on my nerves a bit.
3rd person self addressing is ok as long as there is some reasoning behind it. I can't remember the name of it but I went into a dream on furcadia several months back and literally everyone there was doing that. As soon as I realized it I was like Razarasu (A lesser know character of mine) bids thou ado. Razarasu kill you all. (insert big huge god modish attack post here that killed everyone via auto hit) and then I left.
Sanne Moderator

Anthro/furred characters that...

1. Have one or more tattoos. Tattoos are jammed into the skin and can't be seen when the character has fur. Apparently this logic bypasses most roleplayers who use this on their character design. A common excuse is that the character has very thin or light fur, but you can barely make out a tattoo on a human male with a moderately hairy chest, and he isn't a furry. He's a naked, skinny human without fur! So that excuse doesn't work for me.

2. Sweat. Really? A furred creature whose whole design is based on an animal that CANNOT SWEAT and has to cool down by panting and circulating air through the mouth and nose, suddenly sweats? Another bit of logic that doesn't make it with these people. Anthros resemble humans in build, but they are more often than not unrelated to humans. Their bones are just changed to walk upright, but that doesn't give them more human characteristics and altered genetics to sweat. Even if an anthro sweats, the sweat will be stuck in the fur and not be able to evaporate, so there's no biological benefit for them either.

I'm all for fantasy, but it doesn't mean logic should be tossed out the window...
SeraphicStar

On the issue of third person self addressing: one of my characters does that, and no one ever complained. I didn't know it was annoying.

He's a Gnoll, if that helps my case any. :P
Sanne Moderator

SeraphicStar wrote:
On the issue of third person self addressing: one of my characters does that, and no one ever complained. I didn't know it was annoying.

He's a Gnoll, if that helps my case any. :P

Sounds to me that it's part of the character design with a good reason for it. :P I think what Lance meant was that people suddenly started doing it because it was a new fad and supposedly cool, rather than having it contribute to the character itself.

You are on: Forums » RP Discussion » Pet Peves in characters and/or RP

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus