Skip to main content

Forums » RP Discussion » Pet Peves in characters and/or RP

Dragonfire Moderator

I actually know some people IRL who speak about themselves in third-person pronouns (from 'he' to 'she' to 'zie' to 'it', etc), or purely by their name. The reasons for it vary pretty widely, from being a full-time sub, to a coping mechanism, to thinking that 'I' is just too self-centered. If someone decides and lets it known that they want to be referred to in a particular way, whatever floats their boat. It's just polite to call them as they want.

Of course, if one's character thinks it's ridiculous, that's another issue entirely, no?
SeraphicStar

Oh, my Gnoll happens to acknowledge that he should refer to himself as "I", he just thinks that's for the fancy wancy humans that don't like chasing critters.
Hanyoulover (played by Hanyoulover)

I'm not sure if this was said already but it really get under my skin when someone asks for RP and then asks me what my character would like in, say a pet, so they can turn around and make a brand new character that's set to be my character's pet. No No NO! That makes me suddenly remember I have a pile of homework to do >_<.
Sthephano (played by Yuka)

Hanyoulover wrote:
I'm not sure if this was said already but it really get under my skin when someone asks for RP and then asks me what my character would like in, say a pet, so they can turn around and make a brand new character that's set to be my character's pet. No No NO! That makes me suddenly remember I have a pile of homework to do >_<.

THIS. I don't like pre-set characters, I like building it up from an existing one and seeing where it goes, dammit.
This is why my main character no longer has slaves. :/
Darth_Angelus Moderator

You seem disapointed by the lack of slaves...
darth_angelus wrote:
You seem disapointed by the lack of slaves...
There certainly isn't a lack of them!

I simply meant I have had bad experiences with people making tailored made characters to roleplay with me, which feels kind of weird. I don't think people need to be pidgeon holed into RPing jsut with me or me just with them.. the more people you roleplay with the more of a broader type of roleplay you typically get. Which also tends to help with evolving your character.
I get really irked when people put smileys or emotes in their IC post. If you are OOC go to town. But please, it ruins your post when you put a little :D at the end.
Well, then again it depends. I'm fine with emotes when my friends and I do quick and silly script RPs of utter nonsense. But most of the time what happens in those RPs are just "for the lulz" and don't matter anyway. But if it's like some serious paragraph RP and you throw in some emotes, it just looks stupid. I can picture your characters expression just fine without you needing to show me. :1
I have two pet peeves in RP:

1.) First Post:
My major pet peeve with people's first post is when it goes something like this: "<insert character name here> staggered through the door, blood running down her face. She slumped for a moment against the door frame smearing it with blood, after a few moments she pushed away staggering across the room before she collapsed into a heap in the middle of the floor, "H-help... me..." She managed to say, before her eyes fluttered shut..." I hate it when people do that sort of thing, it's like a plea for you to pay attention to their character, and heap the spotlight upon them. I've also discovered that a lot of times characters that start out with a post like that tend to continue to have posts like that, like their characters are constantly being brutalized behind the scenes... and it's just annoying. -_-

2.) Requested Characters:
I have nothing against people requesting characters, or people filling character requests. It seems a bit lazy to me, rather than going out to find someone to play with, you request someone for it, but anyway... My problem with this comes when people request a character and then ignore it. If you're going to ask someone to make you a character, then it had better get a fairly substantial portion of your attention. I do admit that this comes from my own experience with 'requested characters'... but it's become something that annoys me even when it happens to other people.

Those being said, in the case of number one... there is wiggle room. An already very well established character who just happens to be injured when they wander in, that's cool, as long as it doesn't happen every time. Still, even if it does happen every time, I've found that it annoys me less when the character actually has a recovery period, when they're not ripped to shreds one day, and then perfectly fine to get ripped to shreds the next...
Xach wrote:
I have two pet peeves in RP:

1.) First Post:
My major pet peeve with people's first post is when it goes something like this: "<insert character name here> staggered through the door, blood running down her face. She slumped for a moment against the door frame smearing it with blood, after a few moments she pushed away staggering across the room before she collapsed into a heap in the middle of the floor, "H-help... me..." She managed to say, before her eyes fluttered shut..." I hate it when people do that sort of thing, it's like a plea for you to pay attention to their character, and heap the spotlight upon them. I've also discovered that a lot of times characters that start out with a post like that tend to continue to have posts like that, like their characters are constantly being brutalized behind the scenes... and it's just annoying. -_-

I dunno, I actuly like these somtimes. It gives the roleplay a direction right off the bat. And if you play a mean SOB then you can do something nasty like poke the wounds with a stick :D Or, pull something like my sister and pop out their eye balls and sew them to your characters arm. I am not kidding, it was weird.
I generally can't stand the words "Beautiful, pretty, cute, sexy or other "opinionated descriptors." What is attractive to me wont be attractive to everyone.

The other thing that really bugs me is abuse of the consent rules. Example from when I was roleplaying years ago in a dream that I left immediately afterwords. "Character A(My character) was a known villain who had nearly killed one of the local guard a few nights before. She had just finished beating up a pregnant lady. Said pregnant lady was at the feet of Character A in a pool of blood, and character A was still holding a dagger. So pregnant ladies boyfriend rushes in and kneels at character A's feet and so character A being a crazy evil lady stabs the boyfriend in the head." Now I respect the consent rule, the boyfriend and the Rah told me I was not allowed to do that. Instead of the character dodging, or making a repost. And that enraged me enough that I left the dream never to return.
If you are going to put you character into a situation where they will die, you should let them. ITs like walking into hungry dragons mouth and not thinking he is gonna eat you.
Characters:

Everything you said xD

95% of ALL demon characters. Tired of seeing angsty teenager demons with pale skin, red eyes and black hair. Oh and horns. AND THEIR OHH SO REJECTED >:C

95% of the characters who practically revolve around the death of their parents/sibling/whole effing family/village. So overdone it makes me want to spew. I dont mind dead parents or a dead parent. I have characters like that. But when its the 20000th abandoned at the age of 5 character. Or family brutally murdered by fjskdfjdsklfjldsjfdklsfjgdsfjkldsfjdslkfjsd yeah I think y'all get what i mean.

RP in general: (Well RPers too)

People who cant think outside of romance. >> I'm a fantasy/adventure/action RPer. Thats what I wanna focus on. And I warn people beforehand. I'm not against romance. But I'd rather focus on the meat of the storyline and let romance come naturally if it is fitting.

Honestly. may be a little selfish... but the reasons that people reject my character 'The Slova' Because it not some cutie pie teenager demon with red eyes and a tragic past. Or they don't like how it can't speak. Not like it would speak the common language if it could. Or they will because they think its ugly. Well of FFFFFing course. Its a demon, not a supermodel. A lesser demon at that, an insignificant runt demon. So not like shes a succubus. >> Her whole point of existing was just to be another nameless faceless killer. -shrugs- But she got lost and blah blah ramble. I understand if she doesn't fit, or likely wont... then I wouldn't give a flying shitake mushroom >o> But seriously. Give her a chance if she can fit D8

padding. hate it. Don't fluff your posts for length people. >O> I'm not a length nazi.

People who use the same word a jillion times in one post. Not a writing/grammar nazi. But that gets to me.

Posts that have paragraphs dedicated to stupid things, such as a characters hair or nails. But no substance toward the plot. >>
Quote:
Honestly. may be a little selfish... but the reasons that people reject my character 'The Slova' Because it not some cutie pie teenager demon with red eyes and a tragic past. Or they don't like how it can't speak. Not like it would speak the common language if it could. Or they will because they think its ugly. Well of FFFFFing course. Its a demon, not a supermodel. A lesser demon at that, an insignificant runt demon. So not like shes a succubus. >> Her whole point of existing was just to be another nameless faceless killer. -shrugs- But she got lost and blah blah ramble. I understand if she doesn't fit, or likely wont... then I wouldn't give a flying shitake mushroom >o> But seriously. Give her a chance if she can fit D8

asdgakjf I have this problem too, especially with my characters Harbinger and Phaedra! Harb is a gargoyle who's build more like an animal than a human that really seems to put people off for some reason. He can talk, he has a distinct personality, he isn't just some statue - except sometimes. Phae is a dragon who can't talk. God forbid a character can't talk. 8I It hurts my heart sometimes!
Tasha wrote:
Quote:

asdgakjf I have this problem too, especially with my characters Harbinger and Phaedra! Harb is a gargoyle who's build more like an animal than a human that really seems to put people off for some reason. He can talk, he has a distinct personality, he isn't just some statue - except sometimes. Phae is a dragon who can't talk. God forbid a character can't talk. 8I It hurts my heart sometimes!

I feel y'all there. I had the hardest time adapting to a group once because I was trying to play a Gaelic-speaking Irish gypsy human in a world full of common-speaking demons (where humans didn't exist anymore-- no idea why they let me in in the first place...); people kept attempting to figure out twink-y ways to make my character speak Common and then finally admitted that there isn't really any way to let such a character join into their plots. Most awkward time ever-- tried to make a demon to fit in instead, totally didn't work out. xD
Hanyoulover wrote:

This THIS THIS. I can't stand the people who want my character to own theirs. Or if they ask me behind the scenes to kidnap/capture their character. And in the end they just want the master/captor to treat them like a darling little pet/fall in love with them.

Or its just them wanting to fill some weird desire. I have no problem with that kinda stuff. But I like it kept in the bedroom/RPs that are meant for that. D8 (And what gets me most about that is all the people wanting that kinda stuff I meet are 13-17 year olds who THINK they know what BDSM is. D: Do not want, especially with children.)

In fact most slave characters I cant even read past where it mentions their a slave. Slave characters I see are just that bad. Abused little twats who just want attention and help.

I agree with Xach on the whole first post thing. x.x Nothing more off putting then your supposedly strong, rugged, adventure type RP partner that you were promised turns out to be a frail little bitch that gets the crap beat out of her in the second sentence..then asks for help. That RP only lasted 3 posts. The persons character needing help. Mine laughing and joining in. D<! Her posting a whiny post with like 5 paragraphs of OOC yelling at me xD

Tasha&Copper: Glad to know I'm not alone DX I dont get why people NEEEEEED characters to talk AND be fluent in the common language. Theres other ways of expressing. D:
And I dont get why everyone needs bootyful/pretty/cute characters--- OH WAIT! I DO D< Every were I go just seems to have a desire for cheap smut-tastic romance.
Why I came here. I heard its got some awesome people and stuff. ouo
I generally ask what kind of character my partner's character would like because I have, to date, well over 300 characters. I need a little help narrowing them down. ^^;

I do sadly have to agree with everyone about slave characters and people not knowing jack shit about BDSM. Since I like playing slave characters (they're so deliciously fucked in the head! X3 ), those kiddies lose me a lot of roleplaying opportunities. Le sigh.
Elain (played anonymously)

What pretty characters I do have, are flawed XD Like Elain here. She's pretty, well-built... and she is a mute storyteller, who relies on puppetry, minor illusions and hand gestures to get across the story.

I agree on the slavery thing. I RP one slave alt semi-actively and he's still very much in the mindset that he is in no way shape or form a submissive and is simply in the pens until Fortuna smiles on him a bit more. Fun times.
Scars is my preferred slave character. I enjoy playing him because he looks like a stereotypical uke slaveboy (exotic coloring, large eyes, pretty face, small), but he acts more like a wild dog and would sooner bite your hand than let you pat him on the head. ^^

It's sad that roleplaying concepts like slavery, that could be a constant source of deep, searching gameplay and character development, have been given such bad reputations by preteens that no one wants to play them. >.>
Ilmarinen Moderator

Agreeing on the language barrier thing. One of the most memorable periods of RP I had was when I played Ferrow (a European-flavored character) in a Japanese setting. It was FUN trying to get people to understand him via signing, pointing, and grunting. :P And then he started to LEARN a little bit of the language! That was really something special! Then another character came up and said "oh here's a magical talisman that lets you understand and speak every language." So I had Ferrow accidentally (;)) lose it in the river. :P
Oops- clumsy Ferrow! X3

You are on: Forums » RP Discussion » Pet Peves in characters and/or RP

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus