Skip to main content

Forums » Suggestions & Development Discussion » Make search not case sensitive

Sanne Moderator

I get so many huge huge differences when I search for the same term, but with different capitalization, that it's dazzling and seems very counter-productive to me!

If I search for "Sanne", I get 106 results. If I search for 'sanne', I get 6 results. If I search for 'SANNE', I get 4 results.

It seems to me that all 3 search terms should yield the same results. Not everyone capitalizes a name when they search for it, and some words can be typed in all capitals or all lowercase. It doesn't seem very smart of Search to make such a huge difference, since they say the same.
Yes! I notice this all of the time.

She's saying what we're all thinking!
Now that I know I support this!
I support this.
I absolutely agree. Case-sensitive search is kinda hard :(
So that's why my searches often fail to yield any results! D:

I'd love to see this change.
agreed :D
Kim Site Admin

This is a result of how posts are compressed in the database. It sucks but it saves us toooooons of space. There isn't a simple fix to this, unfortunately.
Wouldn't you be able to put everything into lower-case the moment they get compared? That way neither the case of the search terms nor the database would need to be adjusted. It does create a slight overhead.
Sanne Topic Starter Moderator

That kind of sucks. :( I guess for the time being we'll just have to remember how this works and try all alternatives just in case.

You are on: Forums » Suggestions & Development Discussion » Make search not case sensitive

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus