Skip to main content

Forums » Art & Creativity » We'll buy you art. CLOSED, seeking input

This is absolutely the type of thing I would love to see more of in the future! I didn't enter this time around because there are certain times of the year when I can afford art and I didn't want to take away from someone who might have less than I all year round. Unfortunately I wasn't able to contribute either because this month was sadly tighter than we would have liked, but if it comes around again I would definitely be interested in doing more. I'd agree with some of the other suggestions about perhaps having more time to set up the prizes and allow for entries. Other than that, this looks like a winning idea to me!
Zelphyr Topic Starter

Alright, I've sent messages to/for the money winners. I'll try to make sure all the art prize winners know they got selected tomorrow.

For suggestions, the main thing I'm seeing is more time, and that can certainly be done! I'm also trying to feel out other thoughts and suggestions, and kinda see how things might work out.

I'd like to do this at least once a year, and I'm trying to decide if twice might work out - spring and fall, so it's between the big art trade events. If it's just once, I'll probably stick with fall, since Epic Week is in the spring. I think I'd rather stick with September rather than October since trick or treat RPs usually start coming up in October, followed by other events.

I've been debating few options for fundraising. One would be to just raise money to a set point, but that would result in a moving event. One suggestion was to have open donations all year, allowing people to give as they have, but it would also be easier to forget about. Alternatively, I could run a focus fundraiser and art collection the month of and/or before. I know that I wouldn't want to collect art offering more than a month in advance in case those artists have to drop out.

It was mentioned to let people request specific art donors. It wasn't in the rules, but I actually did! One entrant really liked what one artist offered, so I put in a note to have that as a backup. I think I could reasonably incorporate this more fully.
Thanks for hosting this event Nova!
I thought this went well! As for some feedback...

The rules were nicely fleshed out, but perhaps next time they could be written in a way that is more concise/compact? I don't have any ideas for improvements right off the top of my head, but I noticed some confusion throughout the event so I thought I'd throw that in.

I like the idea of making this an annual event. Hosting it twice a year sounds appealing too. I think this would be great to have around RPR's anniversary, but I'm not sure how that would work out for most people and I wouldn't want to overlap other events too much. Either way, I believe that I'll be able to donate pretty consistently.

Also, this is just my personal opinion and I don't know if anyone will agree with me on this, but I think there should be a cap on how much money someone can request for a cash prize. I understand that some artists charge a lot (and that is their right) but when our pool is only a little over 100$, having several requests for 50$ commissions really limits the amount of cash prizes to go around. Plus we might not have a solid 100$ to kick off the next event, so we have to consider the possibility that our pool will be smaller next time.

I really like the idea of letting people add to the pool at any time during the year. It may be easy to forget about right now, but if this becomes a regular thing I'm sure it will pop into people's minds more often.

Lastly, I've been thinking about doing commissions and donating the money from those commissions to the prize pool for next year. This lets people who have money set aside for art contribute to the event while still getting some art for themselves. If anyone likes the sound of that, I'll definitely need some of your thoughts to figure out good prices. I'd also love it if some other artists were on board with this because I know my style isn't for everyone.
Zelphyr Topic Starter

I have a question for artists in particular!

One concern I had during this was that an artist would "close" or change their prices while this was going on. I considered reaching out to confirm things with them, but I was worried about having a bunch of artists expecting a commission that never came.

Artists, do you have a preference on how I should deal with this in the future? Is it okay to just send a message like, "hey, a person in a contest listed you for their prize, if they win can you agree to honor their request for X at the prize of Y?"
Zet

I have two more suggestions:
    Template for raffle entrants, similar to what Claines had mentioned.

Quoting winners in thread as well in a new comment.

The template would be helpful as I know some artists have additional fine print to their commissions. Some artists may include a fee for detailed character designs and I, personally, charge small fees for a full character design or a whole bunch of refs I have to parse through (but bundle in a 10min livestream for the commissioner to pull the refs together and get the character right). Knowing which character they might commission and any add-ons could cut that issue down irt pre-existing artist communications.

Example:
    Entrant Name: [Name of user]
    Character: [Character chosen for commission]
    Artist Choice: [Name of Artist, including link]
    Artist Price List: [Link to Commission Post Here]
    Commission-Type Chosen: [State which item is being looked at]
    Commission Price: [State Price]
    Any Additional Costs: [State additional costs]
    Any Additional Information: [State if artist is closing commissions on x day, if it's a sale, if there are limited slots, any other artist requirements such as payment - for artists who don't take PayPal]
    Artist I would consider art from: [Artist name/No thanks]

Quoting winners in a new comment would also let them know they won and give more of a closure to the giveaway.

As for artists... from an artist PoV, I'd personally be fine with it since my day-job includes working with vendors for product assessment - but some people could take offense. It'd be better to hear other people's thoughts for this.

There's also the situation if an artist turns down the commission for one reason or the other at the end of the raffle - what happens then?
Zelphyr Topic Starter

All art has been paid for and most of it has been received. Is there anyone who has had any difficulties?
Ilmarinen Moderator

Novalyyn wrote:
All art has been paid for and most of it has been received. Is there anyone who has had any difficulties?

I'm finishing up the last of my deliveries and will send all of them out soon, hopefully today!
I'm almost finished with my own delivery. There's been delays due to life and stress, but I should be done with their work soon!

Edit: All finished! I hope they enjoy their prize!

You are on: Forums » Art & Creativity » We'll buy you art. CLOSED, seeking input

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus