Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » The best present you ever received?

I know that this thread may be a few months old, but hey, I feel it's still quite relevant and will continue to be for some time ^_^

The best presents I ever remember getting? For one Christmas my parents got me the set of the first three Harry Potter books, which I must have read and re-read countless times by now. I could barely wait for the rest of the presents to be opened to start reading the first one! XD At that point in time those three were the only ones out as of yet, so every year, I would get gifted the next one in the set. :) I still have all seven of the main books and get them out to re-read them once in a while. ^_^

Another year, I was sent on a bit of a treasure hunt, I forget the exact term (where you're given one clue, and that leads to another, and another, until the last one leads you to the prize). At the end of the hunt was a nice, awesome dirt bike, which I still own to this day--it even still works, for the most part, more than 10 years later!

And before all that, when I was still in kindergarten, I was given a choice--did I want a bike, or a puppy? I picked the puppy. She was a mutt but I loved her. I was so proud of my choice, and I showed her off to my classmates more than once. ^_^
There's another that I got this last Christmas that is probably worth mentioning. Once again, it has more to do with the circumstances than the gift itself.

My local longtime friends apparently pooled their money to get me a gift, and they let me know on Christmas that it was coming late. They showed me a picture of what it was, though: a hoodie with bat wings and ears. And my initial reaction was... not great. I didn't say anything, but between a general apathy about gift-giving, the way my mental health has been, and some of the reasons for why it's been that way, my overall feeling toward it was a mildly bitter why did they even bother? (Full thought process was worse, but unnecessary to get into.)

It was good that it was late. It arrived during a major plummet in my mental health, at a time when I didn't have to face all of them at once. It arrived at a time I felt especially alone. A gift from some friends, who took the time to get me something when I usually don't get anything for anyone and typically tell people not to worry about it, who specifically got me something I could appreciate (I like comfy things, I like bats, I like things that are a little silly) which could only happen if they were paying attention.

It was thanks to that gift that I was able to get out of bed that day, and to join a few friends for a lunch out, which honestly, I really needed. Because it was a hoodie, I didn't even have to properly get dressed to be halfway presentable, and I kinda got the sense of just wearing a hug without actually having to stand there for a hug. It was a perfect gift with perfect timing.
My best friend bought me tickets to go see Big Bang (the concert was on my birthday) It was a once in a lifetime opportunity as they do not come to the west hardly. We didnt have great seats and we had to maneuver around toronto by ourselves (we're country folk) but it was one of the best nights i've had and my all time favorite birthday
Best Presents ever received? Hmm...
    Xenoworlds Beyond
    SexySultryBabe
    Elaine Freyr
LakotaSiouxWarrior Topic Starter

Abigail austin dunedain ranger 8_stars_8
Rogue-Scribe

Another present I got was a rather dark one. For my 26th birthday I received the finalisation of my divorce from my first wife. Is that a present? Yeah it was at the time.

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » The best present you ever received?

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus