Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » Official Contest: Tutorials

Kim Topic Starter Site Admin

Even with just a handful of tutorials, clearly this is going to be a hard one to judge! :D
Sanne wrote:
Highjinx wrote:
Thank you! Yes I did. I tried to draw them as generic as possible. I wanted there to be sheets at the end that people could print off and draw on. That way they could draw scars, piercings, make notes, etc

That's absolutely fantastic!! Amazing job, well done! <3

Thank you, very much. I truly appreciate the praise. :)
Sanne Moderator

Because a tutorial on the RP Finder has been in popular demand, I spent the last 7 hours writing this thing up. I hope it's useful and clear enough to take away any confusion people have!

RPR Contest 2013: Tutorials - RP Finder on Google Drive.

I did include a part about groups, but am willing to rewrite it for the new interface should the tutorial end up being used. :)
Sanne wrote:
Because a tutorial on the RP Finder has been in popular demand, I spent the last 7 hours writing this thing up. I hope it's useful and clear enough to take away any confusion people have!

RPR Contest 2013: Tutorials - RP Finder on Google Drive.

^^^ This. Just... Win. So much win.
Ben Moderator

Oh wow. These last few have been awesome! I'm super jelly of your ability to make those blank character sheets, Highjinx :x

Last day for entries today! Will we have any late comers to shake the playing field up? :D :D
Sanne Moderator

Kim wrote:
Last day for entries today! Will we have any late comers to shake the playing field up? :D :D

Are you tempting me to make another tutorial at the last minute? XD

Sanne wrote:
Kim wrote:

Are you tempting me to make another tutorial at the last minute? XD

I don't know. AM I? ;)
A fabulous entry, filled with great tips, comments, and imagery! I think I definitely need to incorporate this into my next character...o3o
Highjinx wrote:
So... this Tutorial was almost my untimely end.

I yelled at it. I cried at it. I threatened to delete it... multiple times.

Finally, we came to an understanding and the Google Doc result can be viewed here:

The Highjinx Method for Character Building

I hope it's pleasing to everyone.

XOXO Jinx <3
Limeface wrote:
A fabulous entry, filled with great tips, comments, and imagery! I think I definitely need to incorporate this into my next character...o3o

Stahp dat, chameleon! You're makin me blush >///< <3 lol
These all are truly fantastic, really.

Okay my lovelies! That's it for entries. Let the deliberations now begin! :D Good luck to all the entrants, there are some truly spectacular tutorials here.
Sanne Moderator

I'm so EXCIIIIIIITED for this!! Do you have an estimate for when you think you'll have the winners? ;) *bounce bounce*
Yay! Good luck everyone! :D

ASAP, but give me through the weekend to be on the safe side. :)
Ben wrote:
Oh wow. These last few have been awesome! I'm super jelly of your ability to make those blank character sheets, Highjinx :x

Ack, I'm sorry, I missed this. Thanks! :3

Announcing the winners!

Choosing amongst so many creative and thoughtful entries is never easy. Thank you so much to everyone who offered up their sage advice! I am certain that whether you won or not, your words have benefited the people who read them.

#1 Ben - Guide to rekindling stagnant characters
I was in love with this tutorial for so many reasons. Chief among them was how unusual the topic and its presentation were. In my many years of RPing and reading RP guides, I have encountered dozens - if not hundreds - of guides on character creation. Some of them were indeed absolutely excellent! But characters need love, attention and thought to stay at their best during every stage of their life cycle. Ben offers brilliant suggestions for getting a character that's begun to lose its interest back on track, breathing new life into interactions between characters that have known one another forever, and does it all from the fascinating perspective of stage craft, complete with quotes from masters of acting. This blending of the two disciplines creates a really vibrant, valuable article.

Plus, it gets across a lot of information very concisely. The balancing act between providing all of the information a person needs AND keeping an article short enough that your readers lose their attention span and wander away in the middle is incredibly difficult, and Ben walked that tightrope with savvy.

#2 Highjinx - Creating well-thought out characters ("The Highjinx Method")
Remember when I said I had read some excellent guides on character creation? This tutorial by Highjinx absolutely ranked among them. Highjinx offers an enormous wealth of suggestions for how to fully visualize a character before it ever enters its first RP. The level of detail that Highjinx will guide you through is fantastic. Plus, she even finishes it off with custom-made character creation sheets that you can download, print and fill out to help your brainstorming process.

#3 Sanne - The RP Finder
Sanne takes you through this complex but very important feature step by step, responding to every question that has come up about in the chat or on the forums with a smile and a wink. At every step, she's included screenshots and diagrams to explain what you're looking at and how to take advantage of it all. This was a very clever tutorial, filling a gap in the help files that sorely needed attention.

#4 TheLily - Guide to running a tabletop game online
It can be hard to make the transition between tabletop and online RP. Plus, a huge majority of those who participate in freeform aren't even aware that there are alternatives out there! Both styles of play can often benefit from borrowing from one another. Lily's guide aims to help someone plan their first table-top style game, online.

BEN, you're up first! Let me know which of the following you want as your prize:
  • A set of RPR bookmarks
  • An RPR t-shirt (tell me your size!)
  • 6 months of Epicness
  • 3 months of Epicness
  • 3 extra character slots
  • 2 extra pages
  • A piece of character art by Eaves, one of the artists who has been helping to pretty up our pages lately. example example example example example example
Ben Moderator

Omg it's so hard to decide. But I think I gotta go with the character art. I loved participating in this one and I loved reading all the great entries. :3
:D Congratulations!
Oh! I would like the 3 Character slots please! :3 <3

And thank you for picking me <3

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » Official Contest: Tutorials

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ben, Darth_Angelus