Skip to main content

Forums » Suggestions & Development Discussion » "Chapter" organizing tool

I don't know if this has been suggested before, and I was frankly a bit too lazy to look too hard. But here goes!

Idea in short: With the RPR 2.0, I thought it could be pretty cool to have an opportunity to divide your RP into chapters. Perhaps especially relevant for PMs.

I find myself often having to backtrack in my RPs, looking for informations that I know me and my partner's characters have told each other, but needing to re-visit the phrasing. I can often remember the situation they were in, like "They were talking on this field, just after battling this monster." but I struggle to find it in the thread and have to jump around the thread until I can find what I'm looking for.
I'm imagining that a way it could work might be that a user can mark posts (received and sent ones) and then have an option similar to "Create Chapter" and one called "Add/assign to Chapter". The Chapter can then be named/renamed by the user, and will appear as a link underneath the People in this conversation section. That way, you can easily revisit a part of the RP that you want/need to refresh in you mind. This doesn't have to be shared with the other player(s) in the thread, but there could be an option to "share Chapters" with the other players in the thread, enabling everyone to edit the structure of the Chapter. They would have then have an option to "accept player A's changes" or not.
One should always be able to unsubscribe to the thread's way of Chapter Division, if one would rather divide it in their own way.

An add-on feature to this could be that each chapter had their own color, so when a user was going through the thread from start to finish, the colors of the posts would change depending on which chapter the post belonged to, thus perhaps offering the user a better overview of their RP.

I don't know if it's just me who might really benefit from such a feature, especially in PMs, and I don't know if it's been suggested before. I also somewhat don't hope that this feature already exists, and that I just haven't noticed it, and then just made a complete fool of myself :')
nightmqre

I don't think it's a thing, so I definitely second this. It definitely would be useful! For me too, anyway.
This would be really cool, not gonna lie!
A friend and I just use separate PMs to break up chapters. ^^; We go in with a rough goal and can kinda feel out when it's time to wrap up to start a new chapter. It's not perfect, but it makes looking back much easier. Additionally because if I forget when it happened, I can look for which characters were involved.

Admittedly, that last part was more helpful back when PMs also listed my own characters. ^^;
Penholder Topic Starter

Novalyyn wrote:
A friend and I just use separate PMs to break up chapters. ^^; We go in with a rough goal and can kinda feel out when it's time to wrap up to start a new chapter. It's not perfect, but it makes looking back much easier. Additionally because if I forget when it happened, I can look for which characters were involved.

Admittedly, that last part was more helpful back when PMs also listed my own characters. ^^;

Hmm, I can definitely see the idea of this, but the problems I see with that method are, that it seems like you need to plan ahead to do exactly this, and your partner might not be in on doing it like that. The Chapter function should(in my head) be kind of like a backwards thing, where you can always go back and sort through RP - and change it, if one should need that! Also, it should be able to work independent of the RP partner(s), just in case the partner doesn't want to organize or has another preference to how it should be done.
But thanks for the tip, Nova!
I totally understand the want for this, but I think maybe instead of chapters, maybe a bookmark system would be better? Chapters for me are more like "this event is finished, continung to the next thing" and most of my RP's feel more like they just continue like a never-ending story. Not many hard cuts / time skips. Though the sharing between PM members sounds like a nice idea.
Yes, I think a bookmark feature would be a nice thing to have. Then you could like name your bookmarks and they would be near the bottom by the text box, so you could access them and click them easily.
I think that you can achieve a similar goal using separate PMs for each episode/chapter, then add the PMs to a Folder in your Inbox that holds all the chapters/episodes.

You are on: Forums » Suggestions & Development Discussion » "Chapter" organizing tool

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus