Skip to main content

Forums » Fantasy Roleplay » The Royal Mile Inn

Dwarf Mine GM (played by Malcolm) Topic Starter

Mokk tries to force Pint to the floor, but the dwarf is too stocky and strong for him. The two fighters are held in a grappling embrace, with Pint still holding his staff, but unable to get any purchase because Mokk is so close.

"You're not his lover boy" shouts Lady Helena, "go on, kick him again."
"Go on Pint" shouts Caitlin in excitement.
"This is better than a sword fight" says Lady Helena, to Brenna, "they are really hurting each other. I'm in the mood for watching a good fight, to take my mind off things."
Brenna (played by Juls)

Brenna showed great restraint in not rolling her eyes at Lady Helena's not so subtle martyr-ish statement. Why she might think anyone here cared about her issues after she'd been such an arrogant sourpuss all evening was beyond Brenna.

Unless of course she was willing to pay to have someone fix those issues. She only entertained that thought for a moment before discarding it. She wasn't sure she could stand to listen to the woman long enough to even bring it up.

"Get 'im Pint!" she added to the chorus of cheers.
Neemus Xercles (played by Arcol)

((I apologize; is it too late to join?))
Mokk Grun (played by Pantrane)

Mokk’s breathing had become more rapid by now. His expression was still somewhat warm, clearly separating his aggression from his feelings. Through the tension of grappling, he said, “Strong charge.” Mokk had gotten to step one. This clench is what he hoped to accomplish with his charge.

Now Mokk had to try to secure Pint and take him down. He knew the dwarf could also get the larger Rhinoman into a choke or joint hold. The Rhinott tried securing the dwarf, kicking a leg to try trapping his. Next he had to wrap both arms.

There was still the chance for Pint to turn the tables. With a grunt, Mokk tried to lift and roll the dwarf. His back was bent low to grapple the shorter person.

rolled 1d20 and got 1
Takedown Attack

Pint (played anonymously)

"Hrrgg!! Oh yeh, having fun yet, laddie? Hahah!" Pint had no trouble separating his aggression considering there was none, spars where just a game for him. The dwarf drew breaths in and out rhythmically as he controlled his breathing, keeping himself from getting tired whilst struggling against Mokk's hold. Grappling a taller opponent was risky but that's part of the reason why Pint preferred a quarterstaff over sword and board, it's far too difficult to pull any defensive maneuvers with a bulky shield on the way-- a staff was far more versatile.

Case in point, as Mokk tried to bring his arms around Pint for the take down, the dwarf flicked the Rhinoman's arms away by twisting his staff this way and that. This kept the Rhinoman away enough from him that when he tried to go for the leg sweep, Pint simply raised his foot and let it go under him to avoid it.

As they continued struggling, Pint decided it was time to use that lower center of gravity to his advantage. He stuck the quarterstaff under the Rhinoman's armpits and twist his body around, aiming to pull and flip Mokk over him and fling him to the ground with a hip throw.

rolled 1d20 and got 11
Counter Throw

Mokk tries to lift and roll Pint, but Pint is far too fast for him. Swiftly, the dwarf counter-attacks, placing his quarterstaff under the rhinoman's armpits. It's a clumsy move, but it just works (Mokk has AC 11, same as a rhinoceros).

rolled 1d20 and got 17
Mokk save to avoid being thrown down (low good)

Mokk fails to save himself, and comes crashing down to the floor.

"I told you to kick him" says Lady Helena.
"Pint is the winner" says Caitlin.

At that moment, there is a ring of the bell at the door of the inn. Neemus Xercles enters.

((Great fight! Also I hate to be pedantic but I'd just like to point it's not a 'clumsy move' that hip throw is a Judo O Goshi technique and it's saved my bacon quite a number of times in a lot of fights. So if I failed to convey the proper maneuver with a staff my bad, but yeah, I'd just like to properly represent the fighting style even if it's in writing form 8D. Again, great fights!))

"And that, is how ye put a bloke on his back." Pint wheezed and offered his hand down to Mokk to help him get back up. "Ye alright there laddie??"
Neemus Xercles (played by Arcol)

So this was the Royal Mile; not much different from the Bee and Barb in Riften, except for the crowd. By the looks of it, he’d just missed a fight or something, what with the furniture strewn about or broken and the bruised or bleeding patrons.

Avoiding the mess, he went to the back table, or as far back as he could have gone, ordering a cooked fish and some red wine when one of the servers asked him his order. As soon as she was gone, he took out his ebony dagger and a whetstone, sharpening his blade.
Brenna (played by Juls)

Brenna cheered with the rest that had sided with Pint as Mokk hit the floor, but her eyes drifted to the door as yet another customer opened the tavern door and entered. Her gaze flicked toward him a few times as he strode toward the back of the inn.

If nothing else, The Royal Mile Inn was certainly giving her a broader education in the various races of the world. The pale lizardy-looking creature was nearly as strange to her as the rhinoman. And the fact that he immediately took to sharpening an ebony dagger didn't help put her mind at ease.

"He looks friendly, huh?" she said to Lady Helena and Caitlin, suddenly dying to get the opinionated woman's take on this one.

Mokk was sure his attempt to toss the dwarf would be surprising enough. It took longer to secure a hold on such a slippery opponent. Expert use of the staff also kept the Rhinoman from maneuvering properly. Instead of getting a firm grasp, his four fingered hands slipped.

It didn’t help that the dwarf pulled the same move Mokk tried. Pint had better center of gravity at his height, with plenty of strength. Mokk landed with a heavy thud. The fight was declared for Pint right afterwards. Without missing a beat, Mokk’s huge belly rose and fell with repeated laughter.

“Get off me er at least by me a drink first”, joked the jovial beast. After Pint helped him up, he ripped the bandage off his horn. As the chattering picked up, Mokk shrugged it off. Humans and their bias.” He dusted himself off with a wide grin. “That was good stuff. Pleasure to train wiv ya mate.”

“Where’s that ale?” The idea of a grain based beverage sounded so good to the man who could eat pounds of barley as a snack. “ Mokk nodded to Pint as he spoke.

(As a WoW dwarf RPer, I don’t mind that outcome at all. I was also going for a judo style, though based more on generic concepts. That worked out well!)

((Sorry for the delay))

The two latest arrivals are Mistress Weather and Dalin, her dwarf companion. Neemus arrives, and Bald Mick announces that it is pitch black outside and closes the door. Neemus is given a choice of menu items, chicken stew or fish pie, and chooses the fish pie.

"That was a good fight" says Peter, Captain Baring's second in command, "we'd sign you up, but you don't want to be a soldier. Low pay and we don't have proper horses. Despite the taxes being so high".

The Petulan ambassador hands over a large sum of money to Macey.
"Of course I'll treat you all" says Macey, "at His Excellency's expense. Drinks all round."
He takes requests for drinks. Lady Helena and the Petulan ambassador opt for wine, which they share.
"And a beer for the fighters?" Macey asks.

"We've got some real riff raff in now" says Lady Helena, to Brenna, "look at that wretched witch woman. As for the dragonborn, you want to keep away from them. Not nice people, generally. That's the problem with travelling, the Inn has got to let just anybody in. It can't keep people out."
"Brenna, do you want some of our wine?" Caitlin asks.

"What will we do next for entertainment?" says Macey, "Another fight would be boring. And I think we're all tired of backgammon."

Pint cackled a bit, "I'd buy ye one, mate, but it looks like someone's got that covered already." Too bad that all the beer here tasted like piss, Pint thought, though he wasn't about to say that out loud and in front Mokk too. He'll just have to get disappointed once he tried it. "Ye got some moves there, lad." He added. "I'd like to see ye set loose on them orcs prowling 'round. Bet ye could really crack some skulls."

"Ye got that right." Muttered Pint as he turned to the second in command who jokingly said something about conscripting them. Really, more than the lack of good pay and mounts, Pint hated the idea of being in the army because of all the strict rules. If he wanted to be a soldier he had ample opportunities to do that at clan Bloodhorns, and there the pay was much better. Nah, he much rather be his own boss.

Pint tossed the quarterstaff to one of the soldier's to catch and went to join Brenna. "Not bad, eh?" He dusted his hands and gave the rogue a look, it wasn't so much a glare but more a 'Don't doubt me again' kind of look for when she had stared at him earlier when a fight was suggested. "Feeling safe traveling with me yet?"

The dwarf had to roll his eyes when Macey wondered out loud what could they next do for entertainment. "Donna look at me. Wot do I look like? A bard or something?" He certainly wasn't paid to entertain people, and that brawl was more for his own amusement than anything.
Brenna (played by Juls)

((Sorry for the delay. Digging my way out of a backlog after traveling last week...))

"I would try a little," Brenna replied to Caitlin's offer of the wine. And as Macey asked about entertainment she shrugged, "There was dominos as well. But it seems like dinner shouldn't be too much longer now..." At least she hoped.

"Hey... I said you'd win," she said as Pint strolled over to her. "But that was still pretty impressive, throwing him to the floor like that."

"Dominos is boring" says Lady Helena, "It's a game peasants play with each other in the local tavern."

"What I recommend is domino tapping" says Macey, "absolutely capital fun. But you need a lot of boxes of dominos."

"We've only got two boxes" says Martha, the embittered barmaid.

"We could play a drinking game" says the Petulan ambassador.

"Mistress Weather tells fortunes" says Dalin, her dwarf companion, "only two silvers a time. But she only ever predicts bad things."
"Do we dare?" asks Captain Baring.
"Oh please Papa" says Caitlin, "Can we have fortunes told? I'll go first, as long as everybody else promises to have theirs."
"We'll have to see what the others say" says Macey.
Brenna (played by Juls)

"Really?" Brenna asks Lady Helena, feigning a wide-eyed stare, as if the woman was truly educating her in the ways of the peasantry. Despite her noble father, Brenna had still been raised mostly by her mother and was well acquainted with the popular tavern game. The woman was aggravating her more every time she opened her mouth. "Here I thought they played nothing but checkers."

Luckily, Dalin suggested a fun alternative. Plus it was cheap enough that she could actually afford it. "Why not," she agreed to Macey and Mistress Weather and pulled out her two silver coins. She didn't put too much stock in fortune tellers, even if she did believe there was probably some truth in their predictions. Nothing of the future was set in stone and a prediction of something bad only gave one a chance to right it before it ever happened. Assuming the woman wasn't simply a charlatan.

Mokk laughed as he listened to Pint and the Captain talk. He wouldn't likely mind the taste of the beer. His palate was one that favored grains. This meant hops tasted entirely differently to the Rhinoman. It was much more agreeable, not quite sweet, but fulfilling nonetheless.

A barkeep brought a cold pint to Mokk as Pint mentioned his drink being covered. "Great fightin' to ye too, lad." He took a loud sip of beer. "Never underestimate a dwarf, me always say." His wide face flashed a quick grin.

Turning to the Captain, he said. "Ah, the soldier life ain't nothin' to me, good lad. I'm here on behalf of me people... Scouting. I'm to prepare a report on the conflict and send it back to me superiors." With a smirk he added. "Best way to do that is ta get involved, eh?"

The large map took another long drag on the cold mug. He took it away to look closer at it. These hops weren't as fragrant as he expected them to be. EH.... He took another sip. Twisting his shoulder, he stretched his sore back.

((Sigh, haven't kept up to this.))

"Cross my palm with silver" says Mistress Weather, as Brenna takes the first fortune. She withdraws a pack of tarot cards from here robes, and pulls out the Page of Pentacles. "This represents you" she explains, "Swords are fighters, wands are magic users, cups are clerics, and pentacles are merchants and everybody else." You think she is avoiding the term "thieves" out of politeness. "A Page can be a young woman".

She lays down the cards on a beer table, with the patrons clustered around in a curious circle.
"This covers her, this crosses her, this is behind her, this is before her, this is above her, this is below her, this is outside her, this is within her, this is her hopes and fears, and this is the most she can hope to achieve".

The cards are laid face down. and Brenna is asked to turn over the first two.

"You should have won that fight" says Captain baring to Mokk, "The dwarf just got lucky with the throw. You're clearly stronger than any human or dwarf. Say, if that lady can really foretell the future, why didn't she foretell the results of the fight, put a bet on it, and clean up?"

((Brenna please roll 2 78 sided dice for the cards. Strictly it's 1 77-sided and 1 76 sided since you can't draw the same card twice.))

Fortune telling? This ought to be interesting. Pint sat nearby and leaned in close to see what the cards had to say about Brenna's future-- assuming she'd let him though, he wasn't entirely sure this was a private reading or not.
Brenna (played by Juls)

"Oh, I'm first now, huh?" she said with a shrug, looking to Caitlin in case the girl really still wanted to go first. If so, she'd let her.

Growing up, one of her friends, a girl named Rosy, had told her fortune once with a deck of tarot cards. It was naught but a silly game and they'd spent the following days trying to connect every little thing that happened back to the reading. She smiled slightly at the memory.

"Okay, let's find out what bad luck shall befall me..."

(Can't do custom die roll number, so hopefully this works out okay...)

rolled 1d100 and got 83
first card

rolled 1d100 and got 16
second card

You are on: Forums » Fantasy Roleplay » The Royal Mile Inn

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus