Skip to main content

Forums » Art & Creativity » Free Bindrunes [OPEN]

So, this is an interesting point in my life. I think people who've talked to me got the impression that I've been perpetually writing an essay the past four years. And now it's over-- finals are done, term papers are done, my degree's locked in, the sun is coming out from behind the clouds, I'm a free soul. (Until postgrad starts, anyways.)

I’m trying to fill the summer months with something other than just work. What better than a little bit of

✧・゚: *✧・゚ heathen magic ・゚✧*:・゚✧

FAQ

What are bindrunes?

Bindrunes are unique ligatures of existing runes. My understanding is that historically they’re somewhat obscure, but they often functioned as signatures or served an ornamental purpose. Nowadays people use them as talismans to promote health, creativity, protection, that sort of thing.

Did you know that the Bluetooth logo is actually a bindrune?

17px-Bluetooth.svg.png

It’s a combination of the Younger Futhark Hagall (ᚼ) and Bjarkan (ᛒ), the initials of King Harald “Bluetooth” Gormsson, who united Denmark and Norway in 958. He was said to have had a dead tooth that was blue-grey in colour, thus the moniker.

I’m trying to get a historically accurate grasp on how runes were utilized in different time periods. I’ve seen a lot of claims online that blank runes, reversed runes, particular runes, bindrunes, etc aren’t supported by "the literature," but nobody cites "the literature," so I’m unsure who’s considered an authority on the topic. Feel free to impart your wisdom.

How did you learn to cast runes?

When I ran that shoddy fortune telling thread a couple Halloweens ago, I was asked a few times how I started runecasting. Honestly? I learned from the internet. The Elder Futhark are easy to start with; there's only twenty-four symbols and they're pretty straightforward. I read as many sources as possible and compared them to try and sift out facts from opinions.

Regarding the runestones themselves, I made them by collecting pebbles of similar sizes and shapes from the forest I played in a lot as a kid. They're supposed to be "better" if you make them yourself. Although, you're also supposed to paint the runes on with mouse blood. While that was well within my capabilities given my hobbies, I thought red paint might be cleaner. You keep the runes in a wooden box and don't let them touch other people, or the table you cast on (I use a rabbit pelt as a buffer instead of a cloth.)

Anyone can cast runes, so. Go for it. Follow your dreams.

GUIDELINES

ᛜ First come first serve
ᛜ I won’t be making any any runes promoting harm, hate, or negativity, because that's not what I'm about
ᛜ Examples of good things to ask for: bindrunes that protect you from ill-intentions, facilitate open and communicative friendships, increase creativity or inspiration, promote health, wellbeing, or restfulness
ᛜ If you don’t know exactly what to ask for, try describing an issue you’re experiencing and I’ll figure out which runes best address it
ᛜ I'll be using the Elder Futhark
ᛜ I'll be drawing these on plain ol' paper and posting a picture

Even though I don’t particularly believe in magic, I’m still going to be putting a lot of thought into these. To me they’re sort of like puzzles-- trying to find the most airtight combination of symbols while using as few as possible. You can trust this snake oil-peddler.

Have a good one.

wDDuh3Rm.png
Are there any symbols representing gods or divine beings?
haunt

(i take it that these are like sigils? if not i must be understanding but regardless--) i need some big "i will manage to get at least a C in trig and chemistry" vibes. that's so specific but i will take literally anything that works i Beg,
Yersinia Topic Starter

Arcol wrote:
Are there any symbols representing gods or divine beings?
In terms of individual runes, sort of. All of the Elder Futhark belong to aettir/spheres of influence corresponding with various figures in Norse mythology. The Elder Futhark have three: Freyja, Heimdall, and Tyr. Specific runes that I am aware of:

3.gif Thurisaz means giant or thorn and has ties to Thor

17.gif Teiwaz, Tyr's rune

4.gif Ansuz is considered Odin's rune

18.gif Berkana possibly represents the tree goddess Berchta

@ollie they're basically the rune equivalent of sigils, yes. I'll figure something out for you!
This is wonderful of you, there's alot of stock in runes and rune related magic. I know very little about them myself, but it's always an area of study I've wanted to get into.

I would love one. Not sure what to ask for ... but I've been having self confidence issues, really doubting myself and letting my anxiety and depression get the better of me lately.

Thank-you for offering to do these <3
This is very, very cool, and it's incredibly nice of you to do this for all of us.

If I may, I'd like to ask for something that would... Help me keep patience and and open mind, and to help me with learning, especially in languages.
Well, I think I might need a rune to give me patience and something to keep me calm, if there’s anything like that.
Id love a bindrune. These sound so cool! If your avalible a rune to help anxiety would be great and sort of premote inner peace and happiness.

Does that make sense? I have no clue. Sorry lol.

Anyways this is really super nice of you to offer.
First off; yass for the freed Yersenia. The dark lords celebrate and rave (???

I could really use a Bindrune to help with my focus, lately I need to work with my PC a lot and it seems I can't finish a single thing a day, not even procastination-related stuff ;;v;;
Yersinia Topic Starter

It's been a hectic couple of days, but the first round is done! You've been a lovely crowd.

FOR OLLIE wrote:

When you're reviewing for a test and think "only viking magic will save me now," I have the bindrune for you.

TS3yQUkm.jpg

It's a combination of ᛗ Mannaz, or "mankind," and ᚾ Nauthiz, which means "need" or "need-fire" depending on the translation.

Mannaz is considered an intellectual rune. It's one of my favourites because it represents our ability to learn new skills and improve ourselves. In divination, when Mannaz appears it indicates that you can rely on others for help. I made Mannaz the 'core' here because for bindrunes, it's generally used to increase mental powers.

Nauthiz represents self-reliance and determination. Not wanting to do something but doing it anyways. It also entails energy and determination. I connected two of them at the middle of Mannaz for extra oomph because chemistry and trig are basically witchcraft to me. Mannaz and Nauthiz combine into a bindrune that's decent for virtually all academic pursuits. I'd recommend drawing it in the corner of your notes when you study, or on your exams if you want to freak your teachers out.

As a bonus, Gibu Auja has been around for centuries. It means "give luck" or "good luck."

b780cc4fc71196305f0722a0cfd39a72.jpg

FOR PINEAPPLE wrote:

Sorry to hear you've been having trouble lately. I hope things improve for you soon.

Fd06ehUm.jpg

For your bindrune I combined ᛒ Berkano ("birch"), ᛊ or ᛋ Sowilo ("sun"), and used ᛉ Algiz ("elk") as the stem.

Algiz is considered the most powerful protective rune. I thought it was worth having as the stem to ward negative influences away from you, especially if they're manifesting as particular thoughts or particular people.

Berkano is thought to refer to the birch tree goddess, Berchta, or in a more abstract sense the warmth and unconditional protection of a mother. It's considered the strongest healing rune, representing renewal of the self and mental and physical growth.

Sowilo represents success, health, and wholeness. It's thought to ward against the harmful opinions of others and to promote a "pay them no mind" mentality as you go about your life. It's typically used in bindrunes when you're trying to achieve a positive result-- in your case, maybe shedding some of your self-doubt.

If you want to read into it, you can always inspect a design for "hidden" runes that I accidentally drew. It's easy to do that when all runes are just a bunch of straight lines lmao. I see a reverse ᚱ Raidho ("wagon"), but there's controversy over whether mirrored runes are a problem when making these. I also see ᛟ Othala ("ancestral home") smack in the middle, which is another powerful protective rune.

FOR JAYBIRD wrote:

I have just the thing for you.

AlB9VXcm.jpg

This one is similar to Oliver's because I used ᛗ Mannaz ("mankind") and ᚾ Nauthiz ("need") again, but I threw in ᚨ Ansuz ("god" or "mouth") because it deals specifically with language.

As a bindrune, Mannaz and Nauthiz are decent when you're trying to acquire a new skill. Nauthiz in particular represents hard work and tenacity, but also reminds us that sometimes we have to be patient to see our efforts pay off.

Ansuz is considered Odin's rune. It represents insight, wisdom, communication, intellectual activities, and the transmission of knowledge. One of Odin's first gifts to humanity was said to be language, so it has natural ties to your request, and it complements the intellectual and skill-oriented Mannaz. Ansuz is also said to open up communication with the gods. Maybe Odin will lend you a hand (or not; he's fickle.)

Good luck with your target language!

FOR ARCOL wrote:

I could have missed the mark entirely, but I interpreted "give me patience" as meaning that there's something trying it and you find yourself getting irritable at times.

bHQdn4Bm.jpg

At a glance this one looks simple, but it's actually a combination of three runes: ᚦ Thurisaz ("giant"), ᛜ Inguz ("earth"), and ᛁ Isa ("ice").

Isa can be a pain to incorporate into a design because it's just a stick. To indicate that Isa is the 'core' of this bindrune, I made the central line extra long. Normally you don't want Isa in a bindrune because it represents stagnation, a challenge, or frustration. However, in this instance it works because it promotes emotional control. It's also considered a powerful reinforcing rune that strengthens the runes it's combined with.

Thurisaz is Thor's rune. It protects against unexpected change; not necessarily in that it stops change, but that it allows you to react to it and defend yourself. Never start a fight, but always finish them.

Inguz is considered a "male" rune. It's used for protection of the home and putting anxieties to rest.

FOR HIKARI_YAGAZA wrote:

Inner peace and happiness is a reasonable request.

BCsf1e1m.jpg

For yours I used ᚹ Wunjo ("joy") and ᛜ Inguz ("earth").

Wunjo is a go-to for anything involving happiness. It entails comfort, pleasure, harmony, and fellowship. If you're feeling alienated, it can be used to banish these feelings-- if not, it just generally promotes happiness and wellbeing.

Inguz it a protective rune representing the home; ideally a place that is restful and free of anxiety where you can safely exist. It's part of Tyr's sphere of influence, which tends to deal with internal forces. So, in this instance I'm trying to use it to promote peace of mind.

FOR CORONELCOSCACHO wrote:

Not to stroke my own ego but these look ******* cool together.

Fvrtr2Km.jpg

I used ᛁ Isa ("ice"), ᛊ or ᛋ Sowilo ("sun"), and ᚾ Nauthiz ("need").

Isa brings a complete halt to whatever is happening (maybe procrastination, in your case). It's useful for developing concentration and focus. For that reason I used it as the stem of your bindrune. It's also said to reinforce the runes around it and make them stronger.

Sowilo has to do with success and victory as pursued by the individual. It's complemented by Nauthiz, which represents personal drive and basically a get-things-done attitude. I remember from my old divination thread you kept getting Nauthiz in your readings, so it's funny that it fits so well yet again.

All three of these runes are from Heimdall's aett, or sphere of influence. He's a protective figure in Norse mythology.

Good luck with your assignments!
Tink

Is there a rune to keep tempers in check? I kinda have a problem with my temper alot.......
Yersinia wrote:
See more
FOR JAYBIRD wrote:

I have just the thing for you.

AlB9VXcm.jpg

This one is similar to Oliver's because I used ᛗ Mannaz ("mankind") and ᚾ Nauthiz ("need") again, but I threw in ᚨ Ansuz ("god" or "mouth") because it deals specifically with language.

As a bindrune, Mannaz and Nauthiz are decent when you're trying to acquire a new skill. Nauthiz in particular represents hard work and tenacity, but also reminds us that sometimes we have to be patient to see our efforts pay off.

Ansuz is considered Odin's rune. It represents insight, wisdom, communication, intellectual activities, and the transmission of knowledge. One of Odin's first gifts to humanity was said to be language, so it has natural ties to your request, and it complements the intellectual and skill-oriented Mannaz. Ansuz is also said to open up communication with the gods. Maybe Odin will lend you a hand (or not; he's fickle.)

Good luck with your target language!

This is fantastic, thank you. I'm going to find a nice rock to carve it into and make a pendant of it.
This is lovely! Thank you so much!!
Interesting. I appreciate that you took the time to make this. Thanks. 🙂
Yersinia Topic Starter

You're all welcome! Good luck out there.

Tink wrote:
Is there a rune to keep tempers in check? I kinda have a problem with my temper alot.......
Is there anything that you find makes your temper flare? I don't need specifics, but knowing if it's people, school, things you can't control, etc will help me figure out which runes to use.
Tink

Yersinia wrote:
You're all welcome! Good luck out there.

Tink wrote:
Is there anything that you find makes your temper flare? I don't need specifics, but knowing if it's people, school, things you can't control, etc will help me figure out which runes to use.
It's people and idiots.....
Yersinia wrote:
FOR HIKARI_YAGAZA wrote:

Inner peace and happiness is a reasonable request.

BCsf1e1m.jpg

For yours I used ᚹ Wunjo ("joy") and ᛜ Inguz ("earth").

Wunjo is a go-to for anything involving happiness. It entails comfort, pleasure, harmony, and fellowship. If you're feeling alienated, it can be used to banish these feelings-- if not, it just generally promotes happiness and wellbeing.

Inguz it a protective rune representing the home; ideally a place that is restful and free of anxiety where you can safely exist. It's part of Tyr's sphere of influence, which tends to deal with internal forces. So, in this instance I'm trying to use it to promote peace of mind.

Didnt see it before now! It looks really cool thanks! I like it.
Colin Morvach (played anonymously)

I think a mark for protection from evil and inner strength would be cool.
Yersinia Topic Starter

Apologies for the wait, you two! I've been indisposed but I'll be posting your runes later today. If anyone else wants to hop in before I finish the next batch, now would be a good time.
Yersinia Topic Starter

FOR TINK wrote:

R3g1a4ym.jpg

A bindrune using ᛖ Ehwaz ("horse"), ᛁ Isa ("ice"), and ᚦ Thurisaz ("giant").

I used Ehwaz as the 'root" of your bindrune because it primarily facilitates better relationships with those around us by promoting cooperation and harmony.

Like ice, Isa indicates the stopping or freezing of something. It's sometimes used to promote patience and emotional control-- in this case, to keep your temper in check.

Thurisaz is a rune that helps protect you against unexpected change or actions. You can't help it if the people around you get on your nerves, but you can control how you react to them.

FOR COLIN MORVACH wrote:

0HODR3vm.jpg

This bindrune contains ᛉ Algiz ("elk"), ᚾ Nauthiz ("need"), and ᚢ Uruz ("auroch"). Since the evil is unspecified, I drew mostly from Heimdall's aett, which deals with unknown forces or forces beyond our control.

I used Algiz as the 'stem' because it's considered the most powerful protective rune. In divination, it indicates that one should follow their instincts; negative emotions like fear are useful because they tell us something is wrong. Outside of divination, Algiz is used as a ward against evil.

Nauthiz and Uruz foster strength in different ways. While Nauthiz is more about becoming self-reliant and innovative, Uruz is the physical manifestation of vigor and independence (think of a wild auroch).

You are on: Forums » Art & Creativity » Free Bindrunes [OPEN]

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus