Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » New computer!

Kim Site Admin

I've been dissatisfied with my current computer since the day I got it, about four years ago. Tonight, I am rejoicing. I just ordered a new one. No more five minute waits to open or save a photoshop file? I'm so happy I could cry.

Knowing a new one is on the way makes it that much harder to put up with this one. XD

Do you have any new gadgets in your life?
Nah, not yet, but it'd be nice to get a new comp! Sadly we don't have the money to get one yet (other things take more priority), but this ol' thing's got 4 years of use and abuse-- almost 5.

But enough about me. Congratulations on the new and upcoming computer~! What sort is it? PC? Mac? Desktop? LAPTOP? Is it shiny colors that are colorful and would make everyone in your neighborhood go "OOOH, AAAH~" ?

... it's late at night, don't expect my posts to lack in zaniness.
Kim Topic Starter Site Admin

It's just a new tower, and a boring looking tower at that. I'll be reusing the same monitor, but that's okay. The monitor was the only bit about this computer I actually really liked. It's a PC, I'm getting the parts so I can construct my dream machine inside my budget. :)
Sanne Moderator

Kim wrote:
It's just a new tower, and a boring looking tower at that. I'll be reusing the same monitor, but that's okay. The monitor was the only bit about this computer I actually really liked. It's a PC, I'm getting the parts so I can construct my dream machine inside my budget. :)

I LOVE YOU :D I rejoice at a new pc for you!

It pleases me to see someone else who messes around with their computer for upgrades and fixes and stuffs.

What kind of specs does your new machine have?
Darth_Angelus Moderator

Glad to see you've ordered that new computer Kim! It's about time! I'm sure it will be a machine worthy of the Supreme Goddess that you are ;)

As for new gadgets, I had to replace a few components inside my computer a few weeks ago. Both my phone and my netbook seem to be living on borrowed time, so I think those need to be replaced at some point. I'm hoping they'll survive a bit longer though.

Oh, and I got Mouse of Clicking +1 the other day ;)
Congratulations! I love buying new tech :D I bought my laptop a year ago, but it still runs like new XD It's an 18in screen, which is unusual and why I like it... I did recently get a new tablet as well. I upgraded to an Wacom Intuos 4 due to some puppy who shall remain nameless taking a liking to the pen. She ate two of them =_= SO instead of spending like $100 on a new pen, I just upgraded entirely!
I really need a new laptop. The one I'm on currently, whenever I'm on RPR, is my school laptop. And the moment I graduate, it's going kapoof. But in the meantime, my leisure laptop (that I use to play Furcadia and whatnot) has been having awful issues. I got it from my sister when she got a new one, if that's any indication to how old it is. It had a terrible problem with overheating and shutting down, but my neighbor managed to open it up and go all geek-man on it to clean the fan and such. Still, I have it sitting on a laptop fan and I don't get on it until around 5 or 6.
Now, with that problem gone, a new one has arose. It would constantly drop my wifi connection, even when this computer's wifi connection was working fine. The other day, it stopped connecting completely, and not even a reboot would make it connect. So I went back to plugging it into the internet manually.

As you can see...this thing is crap. My neighbor and I call it 'Old Faithful' because I used to fret about whether it would actually boot up or not.(I had a time when it wouldn't get past the black booting up screen, no matter what). I'm trying really hard to get a new one, but if I get a job all my money is going towards college. And my parents won't buy me one. I'm thinking about asking for one for my birthday, just the laptop and nothing else. But then I'd have to wait all the way until September.

Aside from Old Faithful and my school laptop, I have my beloved iPod and my cellphone. It's under my father's name in the contract, but since I use it so much (unlimited texting), they gave it to me. I am hardly ever seen without a laptop or my cellphone.

I are soshul homeskooler.
Ilmarinen Moderator

I love my ol' PC. Its name is Rassilon II. (My old PC was Rassilon I.) I've had it for 2.5 years already but it's still running well. I've had a series of torrid love affairs with laptops that all ended in disaster. :( (I am a battery slayer, I swear.) But my friend and my dad both got new netbooks and I am LOVING LOVING LOVING them, so this summer I'mma get one of my own!

Hooray for pooters!
Heimdall wrote:
(I am a battery slayer, I swear.)

Yeah. I have that problem too. Dx When my wifi was working, I had to RUN my laptop from my bedroom to my livingroom so I could plug it in before it shut down, if I had it on and wanted to change rooms.

Also, my brother has a netbook. I think that might be what I'll get. He really likes it. But idk how well the small screen would work with me since I'm used to having multiple Furcadia windows up.
I recently got a Kobo - it's a inexpensive e-reader. It doesn't do half of what the Kindle does, but seeing as I only need it to read, it's awesome. And only cost me about $130.
I'm looking at getting a new laptop and possibly a new cellphone - I'm waiting to see if they come out with any sort of update for the iPhone 4, and decide if I want to go for that or go for an Android.

New computers are awesome. Glad you got a new one!
Heimdall wrote:
I love my ol' PC. Its name is Rassilon II. (My old PC was Rassilon I.) I've had it for 2.5 years already but it's still running well. I've had a series of torrid love affairs with laptops that all ended in disaster. :( (I am a battery slayer, I swear.) But my friend and my dad both got new netbooks and I am LOVING LOVING LOVING them, so this summer I'mma get one of my own!

Hooray for pooters!

I named my new one Raistlin from Dragonlance. I went from a red laptop to a black one if anyone gets my out there dorky reference. :B

You guys have awesome computer names! I am all jealous of the e-reader and the intuos 4. :O

My current computer is named Goliath, after it's insanely massive monitor screen. Or at least, it looked insanely massive to me when I first got it, I had never seen anything like it before. Now it's sort of old hat.

So I'll have to come up with a new name for the new computer. Any thoughts?

To answer the question about specs, it's quad core, 16gigs of memory, a crazy graphics card that uses so much power I feel sort of guilty, and more hard drive space than I can probably conceivably fill in the next 20 years. I mostly upgraded for a new graphics card, my current computer wouldn't take an upgrade (all the modern ones require enough space for two slots, and this one only has enough space for a smaller card) and it was starting to refuse to open modern games and video editing software, and it was starting to interfere with work.
Darth_Angelus Moderator

Heimdall wrote:
I love my ol' PC. Its name is Rassilon II.

I like the Doctor Who reference ;)

My computer is called Enterprise, with the various drives labled Tardis, GLaDOS, Skaro and Skynet.

darth_angelus wrote:
Heimdall wrote:
I love my ol' PC. Its name is Rassilon II.

I like the Doctor Who reference ;)

My computer is called Enterprise, with the various drives labled Tardis, GLaDOS, Skaro and Skynet.

Oh my gosh, I may have to name my new machine GLaDOS.
Darth_Angelus Moderator

Do it! :D

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » New computer!

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus