Skip to main content

Forums » Fantasy Roleplay » Bloodied Shards IC (CLOSED!)

Misc other (played by Avitrathephoenix) Topic Starter

The magistrate chuckles as Raven gasps free of his fur. "They survived, yes, and are currently in Telmarune, I think was the name of the city," he replies, "I'm sure your friend will be happy to tell you the story when you meet again, and... I will see to it that she knows you are well."
Lisa Adrean Adeptus wrote:
Lisa raises an eyebrow at the approaching guard, and she listens quietly while he reports a “serious situation” at the gate. It seems a little unorthodox that he mentions Richard to her with only a first name and no title. This oddity becomes even stranger when absolute fury takes over Thalia’s face as she leaves swiftly and without a single word.

That isn’t nearly as important as the mention of spellcasters, one of whom is a necromancer- so decidedly not her, assuming Lisa correctly rememberers what she’d overheard the other night between Raven and Adriannu -but that says nothing for whoever else is involved.

Watching this, Lisa closes her own book. As soon as the High Inquisitor leaves her sight, she breaths a sigh of relief and stands too, picking up the book she’d been reading and also the one Lady Thalia had.

“Yes, we should go,” she says, but then she presses the two books against her chest in one arm and reaches to grab Liliath’s hand, hopefully stopping her from chasing Thalia. “But not where’s she’s going; it’s not sa-“ she stops, remembering how the High Inquisitor convinced the girl help them research.

“I have something a little more fun in mind. These books would look nice in a castle, and,” her voice drops to a whisper, “that shard would look pretty good in a castle too. Come with me and maybe we’ll get to keep it.”

“Come one let’s go then. Oh why not?” Liliath sighed she wasn’t allowed to join the fun.

“Nothing to bad can happen right, please Lisa let’s go with Thalia.” At first she wanted to make a fuss, but then Ali’s asaid something more interesting. “I am bad at reading and-“ The shard part made her smile and she finally took Lisa’s hand “Alright then.”

Liliath giggeld a little “Let’s not tell Thalia she would not agree on anything about a shard.” She whisperd
Two can play at shapeshifting.

The armor plates on Drake’s arm starts to creep up his body with a confident slowness that can’t be anything other than intentional.

Then he pauses, bewildered by water rising and swirling in the air, swallowing him, the nightmare child, and the woman in the white dress. The world beyond the veil blurs into a thousand panes of light with faded, wavering edges.

Then it drops and reveals they’d moved, almost in a blink. “What...?”

Before he can process what’s going on- Ren doesn’t offer the courtesy of explaining they’re teleporting. In fact, she doesn’t seem to realize he’s being brought along at all -she lifts the veil again and it drops moments later in the middle of a cavern, dimly lit by a creepily glowing pool.

As Ren lights the torches with a wave of her hand, Drake lets his eyes adjust to the change in light. Then, grip tightening around his sword, he grabs Ren by the shoulder. His voice bespeaks barely restrained anger, underneath which lies a sense of panic. “Where. The Hell. Am I?”
Ren (played by The)

Before she could deal with or explain anything, Drake’s touch and threats panicked Ren. Without thinking, she threw his hand off of her shoulder, called to her magic, and teleported the shapeshifter out of the cavern. He would appear in a different cave, lit with a few torches and filled with vases of water. If he tried to leave at all, he would surely get lost in the darkness.
Isabella's glossed eyes stared as her hand turned back inward. Her minion's she summoned were doing there job, quickly distracting the group of assailants and preventing them from doing much of anything save for keeping themselves from becoming the next undead statistic the child might utilize. As the chaos further unfolded, Isabella raised her hand again, feeling relatively certain her next spell would be the beginning of the end for her enemies. Holding her hand up with her palm pointed once again at the inquisitor, another green symbol, this time a kind of bladed wave, appeared both in front of her palm and behind the back of her hand.

Before Isabella could do another thing, a swirling torrent of water blocked her view, and despite the fact her face remained devoid of emotion, the reaction and widened eyes made clear the surprise she experienced seeing this. Her head moved left, right, then center, and with the water retracting she saw she was now somehow in the midst of the battle. The child whirled around quickly, finding the inquisitor with relative ease. Her emotionless face pierced into him and she raised her arm quickly in a motion that suggested a blend of both frustration and desperation....but as quick as she was, again it was too late.

Her hand fell beside her as the whirling wall of water once again rose in front of her as if protecting the inquisitor intentionally. Again her head twitched to the left, to the right, and to center, and just like that she was surrounded by earth, hidden away in some torch-lit cave what had to be a great distance from their previous location.

"What happened...." the child demanded to herself, in a voice which had changed slightly. While it still held the same tone of the girl Isabella, there was an ethereal echo that accompanied it as an undertone. Her inflection, too, now bore far more confidence and a clear self-assured attitude.

Isabella turned around, her eyes still so black they seemed to absorb the light nearby, and they fell quickly onto Geoff who seemed almost to be guarded by Nadi. She looked past the fairy, and stared into Geoff. He became the scapegoat in that moment, the one Isabella attributed the teleportation to which in her belief had consequently resulted in the failure to kill the inquisitor. Worst of all he had been the one to demand the Maleficis Mihi from her, hadn't he?

"You," came the ghastly sound of the child's voice. Her hand raised in the direction of Geoff, intentionally held to where she would not hit Nadia. Shortly after a small and bright glow would appear centered in her hand, most likely a spell should would be ready to fire at Geoff.
Quote:
“Come one let’s go then. Oh why not?” Liliath sighed she wasn’t allowed to join the fun.

“Nothing to bad can happen right, please Lisa let’s go with Thalia.” At first she wanted to make a fuss, but then Ali’s asaid something more interesting. “I am bad at reading and-“ The shard part made her smile and she finally took Lisa’s hand “Alright then.”

Liliath giggeld a little “Let’s not tell Thalia she would not agree on anything about a shard.” She whisperd

"Nothing too bad can...!?" Incredulous, Lisa begs to differ. Thankfully the tactics she borrowed from the High Inquisitor work and Liliath takes her hand.

"Thalia will know nothing of this," she answers. With two books in her arm and a child in tow, Lisa walks hurriedly to the front desk, passing Evelyn on the way. The assistant librarian hands her the promised scrolls, possibly assuming she'll pass them on to the High Inquisitor. With a bit of nervous laughter, the chimera takes them with a shy "thank you." They came from a private collection and probably can't be checked out, but it's worth a try.

They reach the front desk to find it unmanned, though it isn't hard to spot Cornelius. In his apparently natural Draconic form, he peers out the door, staring after the High Inquisitor. "What has her in such a hurry?" He mutters, concern etches a little edge in his tone. "I wonder...what news the-"

"U-uh, Chief Librarian Cornelius?" Lisa calls up to him.

"Hm?" The dragon turns his head. "Oh, Thalia's guests. I hope you found what you were looking for." He steps back and closes the door before turning around to face them. As he turns, he has to lift his tail up over their heads to avoid hitting them. Though the spiked club-end soars meters above her and thuds gently on the floor as the dragon makes his rotation, Lisa flinches.

The dragon doesn't notice. "And call me Cornelius. I don't care much for titles."

"Cornelius...we would like to check out a few of the book we found?"

"Of course." He takes a few minutes to shapeshift, this time not into a human, but a four-foot tall bipedal feline. He brushes by Liliath on his way to the desk and musses up her hair with his paw. Lisa wonders if he chose that form just to be cute for the child, and the idea helps her relax around him. That, and the fact that he's not a dragon anymore.

The librarian leaps over the counter to disappear on the other side. His head bobs back into view once he finds a book to stand on.

Reaching over the counter, he says, "Please hand those over, along with your library membership card."

"...a what?"

Cornelius doesn't miss a beat. "A library membership card. I need to see it before I can allow you to borrow any resources."

"Oh," Lisa groans, and muses to herself, "No, no no no..."

Again, ever polite and professional, he replies, "If you do not have one, I will be more than happy to take you through the-"

"Yes, please!"

The urgency in her voice seems to throw him off a bit. His façade cracks a little as he responds tersely. "Okay." He ducks beneath the counter. Lisa hears the shuffling of documents for several minutes before he pops up again and slaps some paperwork on his desk.

"Just kindly fill this out. It shouldn't take more than ten minutes."
When Ren swipes at his hand, he closes a fist and raises it up defensively, apparently not interested in fighting.

But too late; a veil of water like earlier pours out from nearby vases and surrounds him. Before he can escape the curtain drops and he's...somewhere else. Again.

"God DAMMIT!" The chimera swears at the abyss, slamming his still-shifted fist against the wall. It hurts. Good. That draws his focus away from wondering What the heck is happening? as he focuses on the dulling ache in his hand. When that fades, he can calmly answer the question with, I guess I'll have to find out.

He sheathes his sword and takes one of the torches from its stand on the wall. Doing this, he hears something crunching beneath his feet.

The ground is littered with clay shards, refreshingly non-magical shards. Just...pieces of what was once a normal red clay vase lying in a shallow pool of water. There are several of them scattered on the ground. Maybe he broke the vase upon landing here.

He takes a few of them and slips them into pockets, giving himself just one to hold in his hand. He presses a jagged end against the cave wall and draws a line. Clay-dust leave a reddish-brown mark on the stone. A good mark; you're likely not going to see unless you're looking for it, and hopefully he'll be the only one bothering to watch out for these as he explores this mysterious underground locale.
Victi Aurora Silverfur (played by Avitrathephoenix) Topic Starter

The water mage teleporting didn't bug Victi in the slightest.

The water mage taking the girl with the funky magic away to safety? A bit annoying, she was curious to see what she was going to do next, but that was fine.

The water mage stealing her hireling including her frickin' map made her genuinely furious.

That said, she was now alone outside the wall of a city with a largish number of guards, an angry chimera inquisitor, and probably their backup incoming. It was time to make herself scarce.

She wrapped herself in various stealth magic, turning invisible, masking her scent, and making her movements silent. Once she did, she walked quickly through the gate of the city until she could find an alley to de-stealth in and walk out of, still disguised. Then, she made her way toward the centre of the city.

A few minutes and some time-saving teleportations up to and between rooftops later, Victi came into sight of the university and its grand library. Or, well, presumably that was the library. Really she would have liked to not be the only one to be searching through ancestors-knew-how-many old books on the subject, but sometimes that would just be the way things went.

She went through the door, thankfully seeing vast lanes of book-filled shelving inside, and went to wait near the front desk, where a tall, slim, dark-haired chimera woman was filling out paperwork for a large cat while a child milled around. Unfortunately, it was not the weirdest thing she'd seen all day, but at least this was less.... frustratingly weird. She didn't like children much, but it reminded her of libraries in any other city she'd visited on any other world.
Misc other (played by Avitrathephoenix) Topic Starter

At the gate

The undead closing in on the injured chimera abruptly stop, each now carrying a crossbow-bolt in its neck and another in the chest. Thalia strides furiously out through the gate moments later, replacing the box on her repeating crossbow as she does. "Someone explain to me what has happened here," she orders to the scattered guards, "And where the people who did this went."

In the caverns

"Woah, WOAH!" Geoff exclaims as Isabella turns on him, "Hey, I was just trying to make you not have to deal with the Inquisition! Try to help you figure stuff out about why they're getting so excited!" In the process, he's also readying his own spells. Mostly defensive, though he did also get a frost nova ready in case things came to that, though he really hoped they didn't. He could tell something was wrong with her right now, and just... hoped she could understand...
While Lisa fills out the paperwork, Cornelius turns his attention to Victi, greeting her warmly. "Welcome, young lady. What can I do for you?" He can easily take a few minutes to get her request and fetch an assistant to guide her wherever she needs to go.

Lisa doesn't notice the new visitor until the librarian draws attention to her. The flash of white fur...startles her, to say the least. Her head jerks up from the paper and her yellow eyes lock on Victi for a few seconds until she processes just another chimera, and not the kitsune sorceress she'd been dreading an encounter with. She chuckles at her own paranoia and returns to her task.

Still, for as long as the other person is there beside her, she keeps casting nervous glances that way. She also pulls Liliath closer, her hand wrapped tightly around the child's to keep her from trying to wander over and talk to the stranger. Lisa can't quite puzzle out why, but something about the lady seems off. Maybe it's just the white fur or the brief glimpse of unnatural-looking eyes, vivid green ringed by violet. Or perhaps it's something a little more reasonable. She seems impatient. No, not just impatient. Lisa gets the feeling that the woman will violently snap if another single thing goes wrong with her day. Noticing this instills some fear, but also a wave of empathy as Lisa considers what she'd been through lately. When she finishes the paperwork and slides it over to Cornelius, she offers Victi an awkward but friendly smile.

"Hi, yeah, texts on archaic ritual orders and.... what's the phrase.... alleged illuminate groups? Histories of small, hidden groups who allegedly have or had access to shocking amounts of power, influence or resources," Victi says to the librarian very much in the tone of someone who was in the middle of a day going slowly wrong, not really bothering to hide her irritation at her day from much of anyone, "specifically by magical means: rituals, power objects, mind control, that kind of thing."

The lady in front of her.... also looked like she was having a day, and was way to freakin' paranoid. Who was the kid, anyway? Looked nothing like the lady.... whatever, biology was the bird's thing. Suspicious, maybe, but frankly Victi didn't care if they were related or master and apprentice, kidnapper and abductee, or if the chimera woman was the kid's mind-slaved puppet at this point. Seeing the flash of panic in the woman's eyes as they locked with hers kinda felt good, though, even if she didn't enjoy that it did. It was an advantage to the mana addiction for sure, but being abusive for no reason felt.... petty.

Victi gave a bit of a smug smirk in response to the awkward smile anyway, it was just easiest at this point for her while she was this peeved, and waited for the odd librarian's response.
((*whistling* Oh don’t mind me just rolling a die for myself.))
Let’s go:
rolled 1d12 and got a natural 9.

Note: Lisa’s Observation Check. 1-6: Nothing too suspicious. 7-12: Something’s really wrong here.

“Alright then let’s go.” She smiled happily “What’s a membership card?” Liliath asked curious. She then noticed a new stranger, but she also noticed that Lisa pulled her closer to herself. Did Lisa know this stranger? Was this stranger bad? Many question filled in Liliath’s mind and she wanted to ask the stranger who she was, but she was not sure if Lisa would like that.

The strangers mention of several books made her more curious “Do you need a book about-“. Liliath wanted to say shards, but she then realized she shouldn’t.

“Sorry nevermind.”
(Sorry)
(Sorry for all these double posts)
(Sorry double post)

((Cookies, please double-bracket the posts to mark them as OOC. Especially useful now that can just use the "IC only" tab to hide all OOC messages, which would get the accidental re-posts out of the way. ~v^))
((I Will sorry))

((no worries. <3))

You are on: Forums » Fantasy Roleplay » Bloodied Shards IC (CLOSED!)

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ben, Darth_Angelus