Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » A third cat?!

I'm not a big fan of alot of cats. Honestly, I went on a walk in Florida once and every cat I passed (which was actually a good amount of them) looked at me like I was dinner... being skinny doesn't help. I probably looked like the world's longest mouse :P

That cat is adorable though!
Sanne Topic Starter Moderator

Gamers wrote:
I'm not a big fan of alot of cats. Honestly, I went on a walk in Florida once and every cat I passed (which was actually a good amount of them) looked at me like I was dinner... being skinny doesn't help. I probably looked like the world's longest mouse :P

That cat is adorable though!

See, there's a big difference already. My cats are strictly indoors. They're trained (even the deaf one is) to walk on a leash, sit for a treat and they respond very well to a verbal 'no'. Then there's the fact they love to cuddle and be fed kitty treats! ;) I'm pretty sure I can get Shane trained the same way with time.
That's cool! My dog can only ring a bell when he wants to go outside

Day 4. Kitties are very slowly tolerating each other more and more! Yaaay!

I've been trying to get them to eat together to force them closer without incidents. As they usually eat kibble, I fed them wet food today so they'd all three eat it at the same time. (With kibble they tend to eat it spread out over a day) Shane only growled once but stuck to her food. Dette and Minke ignored her. They were more interested in what was inside her bowl. :)

Please excuse the kibble mess they made. What you hear in the background is my coffee brewing, not growling. XD

Shane is still tense around them. You can tell by how her tail is curled tightly around herself as opposed to the relaxed spread tails of Dette and Minke.
EdtheNeko

Have you tried the petting test? - Its where you pet the cats you have, then show them your petting the new cat a bit, let them sniff your hand and pet them. I think it helps cats get along better, and it might help a bit :3

EdtheNeko wrote:
Have you tried the petting test? - Its where you pet the cats you have, then show them your petting the new cat a bit, let them sniff your hand and pet them. I think it helps cats get along better, and it might help a bit :3

Yep, been doing this daily. Taking one cat to the other, keeping one in my lap and petting them both at the same time. I let them sniff my hands too, although Dette and Shane aren't getting along as well as I'd hoped. Dette responds strongly to Shane's growling.

Minke has been touching noses with Shane the past two days. I think it helps he's deaf, he isn't put off by her growls as much!

It's only been 5 days and the progress has been amazing. It can take cats up to 6 weeks to settle into their new home, so I'm pretty positive about how this is going! :)
Looks like things are going great! I'm so happy! :D

Me too Celes!!

swN2k5g.jpg
sBgcKG3.jpg
Meeting Momo, the ferret! I think it's important to socialize Shane as soon as possible with other animals, so I took her to my friends who own a ferret. Momo is super tolerant of other animals and they get along well. :)

MYZmDEd.jpg
This was from earlier tonight. Shane loves humans. My friend's husband isn't a big cat fan (he's pretty harsh about animals that aren't his, you could say he pretty much hates cats) but Shane had no problem snuggling in his lap. :)

CeSY2Wx.jpg
Yay Oblivion and Skyrim map posters!
Ah! She is so pretty, but so tiny compared to the others o.o When I first got the second cat in our household, I thought our original cat would never get used to him, but she eventually did. Good luck! <3

Loki wrote:
Ah! She is so pretty, but so tiny compared to the others o.o When I first got the second cat in our household, I thought our original cat would never get used to him, but she eventually did. Good luck! <3

She's actually not that tiny! Minke weighs in at 5.3 kilograms (mostly muscle weight), Dette weighs around 3 kilograms but has short legs, and Shane weighs in around 3.1 kilograms.

Shane has super long legs though, making her taller than Dette. She's also 3-4 months younger and got fixed about 5 weeks ago, so there's a chance she'll gain weight and maybe grow a little. Shane's mother was a very long legged slender cat herself though, so it wouldn't surprise me if she stays like that. :)

In most pictures where she's with the other two guys, she's also making herself smaller, so that doesn't help any. XD

Thanks for the good luck! <3 I'm sure they'll end up getting along eventually. :)
Ilmarinen Moderator

That little moth looks like a <3 and it made me smile.
Makes me wish I wasn't allergic. I hope they all become good friends.
That is the most adorable kitty ever! <3 I hope the three of them learn to get along.
I just wanted to say that all three of your kitties are adorable. Hopefully Shane will settle in nicely with your other two kitties; or continue to do so rather..

Your white cat makes me miss my cat Odette. She was as big as your kitty, well looks to be at least. (I won't tell you the story here..) But, I've recently gotten another kitty that is adjusting to my corgi. :) Anyway.. I hope it all goes well, pretty kitties again.

Aww thank you guys!

At this point I'm 95% sure I'm keeping Shane for myself. The only reason I'd be giving her up now is if she just won't get along with Dette.

She's becoming very comfortable with Minke, hurrah! And she also had her first fight with Dette.

The two girls are starting to test each other now to see who's boss. I can't tell who it is yet, but they're finally getting to the 'let's settle this' part. :) I'm excited to see where this will go!
I think females cats generally take a little bit longer to get used to other female cats. I'm happy you're keeping her, she's so pretty! I hope that means we'll be getting more pictures <3

And I totally see now what you mean about her squishing herself up in the video, I hadn't noticed at first so she looked really tiny compared to the others :)

Sorry for the crappy quality of this picture, buuuuut Dette and Shane are pretty much friends now!

They chase each other around in a non-aggressive manner (although I'm not entirely sure if they're playing, it sure looks like it!) and they're not longer hissing and hitting each other for no good reason. There's still some mild tension between them, but when it's feeding time nobody is fighting anymore. :)

HIe76O6.jpg

Here, Dette and Shane are chilling on my brand new sofabed (the covers are still in the dryer, so it's just the mattress and the bottom cover for now without fitted sheets) and they're super tolerant of each other.
Yay!! That's great :D

And hahaha, new surface. My cat loooves sitting all over a new surface. I'm so glad they are getting along well now! Sounds like things are going great, and I'm so glad you are keeping her! Obviously with so much happening in such a short time, you are SO good for Shane!

CelestinaGrey wrote:
Yay!! That's great :D

And hahaha, new surface. My cat loooves sitting all over a new surface. I'm so glad they are getting along well now! Sounds like things are going great, and I'm so glad you are keeping her! Obviously with so much happening in such a short time, you are SO good for Shane!

Oh god don't get me started, LOL. They went batshit crazy. There's a lot of room beneath the bedframe when it's unfolded, and at the headboard there's an opening that leads to beneath the bedframe. Needless to say I've been yelling a lot to get them to calm down so they won't rip this thing to shreds in a matter of a day!

I'm actually a little surprised at how fast it's going, although I've worked hard to get them to like each other. I bought some drops from the petstore that you put between their ears for just a few bucks, and it releases a natural scent from... catnip I think, that helps calm them down and prevents territorial defenses. If nothing else worked, then I'm sure this did. :)

I'm so angry with the guy who tried to adopt Shane before I got her, because it's clear he didn't put any effort into taking care of them. He took her to get fixed the second day he had her, and when she got home he was barely home at all. I think it's crucial to be home often in the first couple of weeks to help them along. He doesn't even have a job, he just hung out with friends while ignoring Shane and how his own cats responded to her.

He admitted to not having tried hard and I'm still pissed. I hope he's never getting another cat with that attitude! Integrating a new pet takes some effort from the owner's side, it doesn't happen magically without them.

I need to 'raise' Shane a bit more to respond to "No" and "Get off there" like the other two do, but that's just a matter of practicing. ;)

Shane was grooming Dette this morning. Yay! She also doesn't growl or hiss at either cat anymore and tolerates physical contact. Sometimes she swats and hisses when she's pounced on during play, but this is entirely normal.

She's behaving as if she's been with me for a couple of months! I'm so utterly amazed at how freaking fast this went.

Here's a picture of Shane and Minke on my bed.

kG5XPOV.jpg

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » A third cat?!

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ben, Darth_Angelus