Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » Things you hate about rp

North-Wood

We all love to rp, but what are some things you can find annoying.

I'll start:
You want to do an rp with a character, get set up, all excited....

Then you have no clue how to continue or start! Or you lose what you wanted to do! Aka: sorry to those I have not responded to. about ready to purge rps again and try at being strict and not accept every rp offer...........
Rogue-Scribe

What do I hate about RP?
  • The desire to want to do more of it vs the diminishing time I have to devote to it.
  • Making commitments to RP with such wonderful writers and getting started on great stories then not being able to continue.
  • Writer's Block - When I have free time and want to catch up and write to my RPs but I open them and stare and have nothing worthy to offer up.
  • The Vanashing Writer - When I wake up and get on RPR and see a line through an account name and all their characters. I hate it, but I understand it. I pondered doing it once or twice myself. But I care too much about my co-writers and stories and characters.... so it will never happen with me.

That is all...
North-Wood Topic Starter

The second one is the reason many wonderful rpers and I were never able to finish awesome stories! I just want somene whom can aid in keeping the plot and world interesting! Is that too much to ask!?
Getting halfway through planning, only for the person to drop off of the face of the earth, block you when you try to contact them, then having them post bad reviews.
North-Wood Topic Starter

Yes...... just yes....
PinkBrat

My big one is probably not being in a good mental state for replies. My life is very hectic and a lot of people rely on me for.. everything. So I am tired, stressed, depressed or a combination of all three. I cant write like that and it drives me nuts.

And wanting to write with a character when I dont have anyone to fit the scene. I hate making characters for one off scenes and random people so I cant do that to solve the problem.
LakotaSiouxWarrior

1. You and another roleplayer agree on 2 characters. You do the plot and agree on the lengths. You write a brilliant starter. And the other roleplayer vanishes.
North-Wood Topic Starter

Had that happen and I apologize if I did this with anyone.
The number one thing I hate about RPing is when it becomes a chore. I really love the wonderful people here, I love coming up with exciting ideas and plot twists, and most definitely I am just crazy with writing the stories and see my characters come to life with other great characters.

But then I write and I write and I write and one day I wake up only to realize I have a bad case of the writer’s burnout. My muse is gone somewhere and I wait for her to come back, my creative juices run dry, and I look at my inbox filled with replies and wonderful stories... but I’m just ashamed because my mind’s in a rut and I can’t continue.

Sometimes I can force myself to type a reply for a scene or two, but then it becomes like a homework that I have to do and I just can’t anymore. I may have the time to write, hours and hours even, but not a single lightbulb of inspiration to light my way. I’ve flown away on a hiatus a couple of times, only to come back months later. I really wish it never happens, but it does and I feel really bad.
PenguinColada

PinkBrat wrote:
My big one is probably not being in a good mental state for replies.

THIS. Entirely this.

But my biggest thing is... drama. So much drama. And it usually happens with group RP more than anything. People get jealous, and people get petty. That's why I try to do 1v1 instead of group. But in certain instances, the group RP is just so good that I try to ignore the crap that gets thrown around.

(Even if it gets your main toon, which you spent FIVE FULL YEARS developing, to commit suicide because the OOC drama melted into IC drama and they just like... can't take the pain anymore. So then you have a 2.5 years long hiatus only to return to more drama. I'M NOT SALTY AT ALL, NO, WHY DO YOU ASK?)

Unfortunately, drama happens with 1v1 as well. When you get to know someone intimately enough to create an entire world and plot with them, well, sometimes things are going to happen.

giphy.gif
Torag1000

I sometimes get tired and burn out when I write too much in a sentence. I need to stop doing that. But the thing is, I always set my minimum to at least a paragraph length.
PinkBrat

PenguinColada wrote:
PinkBrat wrote:

THIS. Entirely this.

But my biggest thing is... drama. So much drama. And it usually happens with group RP more than anything. People get jealous, and people get petty. That's why I try to do 1v1 instead of group. But in certain instances, the group RP is just so good that I try to ignore the crap that gets thrown around.

(Even if it gets your main toon, which you spent FIVE FULL YEARS developing, to commit suicide because the OOC drama melted into IC drama and they just like... can't take the pain anymore. So then you have a 2.5 years long hiatus only to return to more drama. I'M NOT SALTY AT ALL, NO, WHY DO YOU ASK?)

Unfortunately, drama happens with 1v1 as well. When you get to know someone intimately enough to create an entire world and plot with them, well, sometimes things are going to happen.

giphy.gif

All of this.
I love group rps so much. But drama is why I have certain characters set as anonymous on here. People hated my main character so it turned into them hating me ooc and it went into IC. I thought about having my character commit suicide too for the same reason but I was lucky enough to tweak what happened to fit her story and make it into a character defining moment. Now she's racist, meaning she only likes humans 😂
North-Wood Topic Starter

I completely hate it when my mind is not in the right place. ugh... need ideas to flow on command, not when they want to.
PenguinColada

PinkBrat wrote:
PenguinColada wrote:
PinkBrat wrote:

THIS. Entirely this.

giphy.gif

All of this.
I love group rps so much. But drama is why I have certain characters set as anonymous on here. People hated my main character so it turned into them hating me ooc and it went into IC. I thought about having my character commit suicide too for the same reason but I was lucky enough to tweak what happened to fit her story and make it into a character defining moment. Now she's racist, meaning she only likes humans 😂
It's one of the reasons why I set all my characters to Anon recently. Because of drama, and the fact that people can look me up personally and like... be stinkers.

So.

Nope.

Y'all gon get my anons. Sorry, Charlie.
Personally, I hate it when you work up this huge, bodacious plot point, then the other person just doesn't do it.

Like, ok, yeah, it's your choice, but you were supposed to kill this character that I have been setting up for days now as the worst person on the planet, and now you two are buddies.

That's why I stick to lewd adventures and just hardly bother with solid plot nowadays
ChebaBeesting

One of the things I don't like about roleplays is when people overpower their characters, and when you tell them that roleplay isn't fun because their character has millions of powers and is unstoppable.
Only to upset them in the end. I myself have had expirienced that several years ago, when some person put that their character can manipulate time.
Their character even summoned a future version of my guy character, and she also turned my guy into a puppy, while she turned his love interest into an old dog. It really annoyed me, especially when they said "did I mention that she can turn into a corgi?".
To this day I can't believe I actually thought it was my fault for telling them that their character is just..well...yeah...
North-Wood Topic Starter

ugh... I hate it when people do that. I have a "power" character, but she does have her limits (just bad at making profiles).

The worse part of this is when they say that this is how their character is......... oi......
ChebaBeesting wrote:
One of the things I don't like about roleplays is when people overpower their characters, and when you tell them that roleplay isn't fun because their character has millions of powers and is unstoppable.
Only to upset them in the end. I myself have had expirienced that several years ago, when some person put that their character can manipulate time.
Their character even summoned a future version of my guy character, and she also turned my guy into a puppy, while she turned his love interest into an old dog. It really annoyed me, especially when they said "did I mention that she can turn into a corgi?".
To this day I can't believe I actually thought it was my fault for telling them that their character is just..well...yeah...

I feel that. Sometimes my characters are like that, and I feel like garbage when I realize it. I have a tendency to use a concept and take it too far (ultimate soldier being impossibly accurate, or a mythical power having unstoppable properties)

Its bleh
People just vanishing
Ok

Let me give some context: I get it if your busy with life, work, or parents. I get it if you've lost a loved one and you want to grieve. We've all been through that

But vanishing off the face of the earth for no reason whatsoever and then blocking that person for bs reasons is beyond rude

I don't get it

I'm sorry if my rant sounds too inappropriate or bad or anything, I just need to get a point across- and I'm a bit ticked ATM
North-Wood Topic Starter

meh, you're good. Go ahead and rant.

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » Things you hate about rp

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus