Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » It feels so weird revisiting old games..

I finally, for the first time in a long while, redownloaded Furcadia... It feels so weird to be looking at it again.
I know the feeling with Sims 3 lol.
ChebaBeesting

I know the feeling. I had a similar situation with Saints Row 2 (my favorite game).
PenguinColada

For me, it's the classic Darkstone and Baldurs Gate II (which is my all-time favorite thing on this planet).

Oh, and of course, OSRS because I was that kid.
Arkavious Topic Starter

PenguinColada wrote:
For me, it's the classic Darkstone and Baldurs Gate II (which is my all-time favorite thing on this planet).

I miss playing Baldurs gate II on my xbox..
Nice. See you there.
It’s definitely a trip going back to a game or virtual space you used to spend so much of your life on after so long, yeah. There should be a word for that particular flavor of nostalgia. There’s probably one in German or something.

I recently started playing through the Devil May Cry series, for some @#$%ing reason. I have no idea what compelled me to do so. They’re horrible. Horrible beyond words. But Smol Petro thought that edgy garbage was literally the coolest @#$% in the universe so I ended up beating the first game and didn’t realize what was happening until I found myself almost at the end of the second one, and by that point I was like ”@#$% it I guess this is my life now” so now I’m on 3, knowing I’m going to just keep on until I beat the newest one whether I like it or not and dying inside every time I hear a line like ”I should have been the one to fill your dark soul with liiiight!!”

H E L P

H E L P ME
PenguinColada

Arkavious wrote:
PenguinColada wrote:

I miss playing Baldurs gate II on my xbox..
I played it on my ancient laptop. That poor machine... it was so old that all of its drives (CD and floppy disk) were connected with big fat cables. And you had to hold the drive just right or your game crashed.

Good times...

You can now get it on your phone for $10.
Petrovalyc wrote:
I recently started playing through the Devil May Cry series, for some @#$%ing reason. I have no idea what compelled me to do so. They’re horrible. Horrible beyond words. But Smol Petro thought that edgy garbage was literally the coolest @#$% in the universe

Is DmC really that bad or is this just a comment on the general cheesiness? I was bored and alone one night so I watched all the cutscenes of DmC5 and I thought "holy HONK 14 year old me would have unironically loved the edge" and it's kind of charming.
Naah, I’m just exaggerating for effect~

I mean, I’m not qualified to say whether or not the gameplay is ‘objectively good’ or anything like that. But Capcom must have done something right if what started as my little nostalgia trip back to 2001 ended with me re-purchasing the entire series. And for all my teasing, I am actually looking forward to getting to the newest one, which I haven’t played yet. I must finish 3 and 4 first though, aaaaaaa

And there’s really nothing inherently wrong with the whole ‘super-edgy, over-dramatic, campy-absurdist-badassery’ thing, either. It’s just another style - one which isn’t exactly intended to be taken in, say, a philosophical light. The bottom line is that if it’s fun to watch (Ironically or otherwise) then there’s nothing wrong with it, and nothing wrong with the person watching it, either. ’Tropes are a tool’, and all that~
Ah, Devil May Cry
Brings me memories of 2011, randomly finding music from the 3rd game, loving it, etc etc. But I never had the games. I did see snippets here and there, but never really knew the whole thing
Until in like March I just randomly decided that 'hey what if I revisited this series, I still listen to the music from it so I might as well. There's probably full cutscene stuff from it'
Hahah

Well, let me introduce you to the secondhand-gamer experience of this
When you remembered/thought the plot was way different
And then years later you actually find out about things and you understand stuff and you just go 'oh, ohhhh, oh mannnnnn' And then you remember all the rumors or whatever you read when you could barely understand English (I swear, I had this whole 'Vergil joins Dante to tag team fight Jester but it's a special event kinda thing you can unlock and then there's cutscenes for it' Aka basically imagine it was just the plot all jumbled up in different order etc. and not even what actually happened.) Honestly though, real cool returning - and just in time for the new game too! And it's been amazing.

Another one for me is Spyro, but the strange false memories of the old second game were mostly in a dream. I was like 'wait, was there another water level other than Aquaria Tower? A robotic one, something-Polis, and it'd.... wait... what..?' It was mostly because as kids, we only had this bootleg greyscale version, and once we finally got to Winter Tundra, we tried a stage and it was just a bit too hard for us in that moment. Something happened, forgot to save, and we were at who knows where and bro never picked up that game again. It's sad, I love that game

False memories are quite the thing
Crash Bandicoot would still probably be hard as heck, the 1st one. 3rd one's boss battle seems easy now when I look at it, but I grinded 99 lives for us when we were kids and it was still hard back then. Now it'd probably be done in a snap xD

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » It feels so weird revisiting old games..

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus