Skip to main content

Forums » Art & Creativity » Honest Opinions?

Thanks to the bitter cocktail in my life that is anxiety mixed with depression, I'm once again having doubts about myself as a writer and an artist. Now, drawing is just for fun and not something I plan to ever make a career out of. But writing - well, I want to be an author. I've got 17 books on the go, at least, right now, seven of which are part of a long-running series.

So I'm asking for a selfish ego boost. If you write with me, do you consider me a good writer?

And as for my art, I'm questioning whether changing my style was a good idea - so if someone could just let me know what they think of the image below? It's of my character Novalie (in a scene from the book I'm writing about her - but alternated slightly because the song "Into the Unknown" from the new frozen film kinda inspired me to do it differently for fun).

I know it's not outstanding or fantastic, or jaw-dropping compared to some of the amazing artists on this site, but it would mean a lot to me if someone could just let me know what they think?

gl-123756-1574042763.png
You want my honest opinion? It might not what you want to hear, but being good or bad doesn't matter. It's all about how well you can hide it. Being engaging matters more than talent and, as long as you're it, skill will never truly matter.

This is universal.

But that's just what it is, an opinion.
Rogue-Scribe

Hi Mintelle! Unfortunately we never got any planned RPs off the ground, which is something I hope to remedy someday. I think I would be hard pressed to match your writing skills if/when we do RP.

As for your artwork, I think you depiction of Novalie here is wonderful! I dont think you should worry about not being good enough.
nightmqre

We've never written buuuut

I think the style is really cute, in all honesty. <3 the shading is simple, which really suits the style well, and that light is like O.o You can tell there is so much personality behind it. (Also loving the freckles) <3
LakotaSiouxWarrior

Your artistry is fabulous. Don't doubt yourself as a author or a artist. We've never written together but it would be tough for me to keep up with you.
I'll tell you what a former coworker and a very dear friend of mine tells me consistently: You just have to get over yourself being your own obstacle and power through the self-doubt.

As for my opinions? Your drawing is adorable. Even though we haven't RPed together, you clearly have a passion for writing with some great characters on your profile here on the site. Writing is also an art and it's ever-changing as we go through life, styles will always evolve and shift.

I'm so sorry that you're having to deal with anxiety and depression, which is making you doubt your abilities. Just keep in mind that we're always our own harshest critic.
Sadly we haven't had the opportunity to rp together, but I can tell just from your forum posts that you're an intelligent and literate writer. I just can't speak for your creativity first hand.

As for the example of your art work that you've shown, I really like it. The bold lines and almost cartoony style emphasize emotion and form really nicely. Bold colors too. The whole thing has a really strong presence, that's then really complimented by the delicate details. The glitter and the bright light and the hard highlights. It's got a lot of style and personality. It's really good!

Doubting ourselves as artists is normal. Don't get discouraged. Even if you're the only person that likes what you're doing, that's one person that it's making smile and that's enough of a reason to do it.

You are on: Forums » Art & Creativity » Honest Opinions?

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus