Skip to main content

Forums » RP Discussion » Do you ever want to be a side character?

Well, do you ever just want to be a side character in a story?

I find myself wanting to briefly be apart of a group to contribute something of aid to their plot, but then have it continue on without me - just a side character. Perhaps, one with lasting impact on the group/individual character/story but nonetheless. Is this because I am lazy?
Yes. It seems kind of fun. To not really be in it, but like witness it.
Mipps

I often operate as a side character.

In fact the groups I build I never play the "leader" anymore unless I absolutely have to. I GM from the back row most often.
Sometimes I have found it adds more mystery to a character in this way.

Often HARD to pull off unless you can find one of those hard headed lead from the front sort of players/character for your group though.
Yeah, I've wanted to be a side character before.
TheLittleWitch Topic Starter

Mipps wrote:
I often operate as a side character.

In fact the groups I build I never play the "leader" anymore unless I absolutely have to. I GM from the back row most often.
Sometimes I have found it adds more mystery to a character in this way.

Often HARD to pull off unless you can find one of those hard headed lead from the front sort of players/character for your group though.

I agree with the mystery of it, definitely! I think perhaps that is one of its most appealing qualities. And I also agree with it being very difficult to find a RP it would work in.

I'm also a little too awkward to suggest inserting myself into other people's already formed groups and storylines, I'm not very self righteous.
I think it's a wonderful writing exercise. While devoting yourself to continuity can be rewarding, some of my favorite characters to play are sailors, explorers, and traveling mercenaries. These characters have hopped countless settings. They return to some multiple times, usually for an event or plot they can contribute to revisiting friends they made along the way, but they always leave at the end of that short story. Being a "main" character is a good way to establish a stable character reputation, but playing a side character is ideal for keeping experiences fresh and in motion. Sometimes, I just want to tell a story and will write an NPC or two (or five) to make that happen.
Because of the uncanny valley that is my day to day, I tend to live my life as a "hero of another story" side character to my friends who go on equally crazy adventures and then we meet up and tell each other the crazy stuff we missed.

As a result, I kinda love playing characters who are up to "something grandiose, but that doesn't impact the plot of this RP on a significant scale", when playing with a larger group. That way my character can still go off and do cool stuff without interfering with the overarching story, and can still come up and be relevant when required; having been established as capable of "kewl stuph".
I loooove doing this! I don't want to be a part of the main story, sometimes I just want to have the fun little side connections where I can pop up and make a scene fun for people from time to time. I do a lot of roleplay where characters are just casual friends and whatnot. It keeps things fresh, because it gives me a break from my own long-term plotlines on the characters and also adds the opportunity for a new surprise based on interaction!
Erin Reece (played anonymously)

My whole existance is being a side character in other character's roleplays..

Erin Reece wrote:
My whole existance is being a side character in other character's roleplays..

I’m getting the vibe that that bothers you. It can totally be frustrating not getting the opportunity to let your character shine. It’s hard to develop them too, when you’re being pushed to the side constantly. That was my struggle when I did only group RPs, there was always a ”main” character and it wasn’t mine, so everything just revolved around that character and who that RPer wanted to develop bonds with or where that RPer wanted the story to go in favor of their character - it feels like god modding.

Once I switched to more 1x1, I was able to flesh out a lot more personality and background for my OC - not just doing and saying whatever to force fit my character into the group story or interactions with other OCs.
Erin Reece (played anonymously)

Erin got started as an NPC in a long running detailed RP, and there was some interest in her so she got her own slot. But with the exception of one 4-writer PM RP, she's only been a perephial character. Maybe one day.... may help if Erin actually put an ad out, lol.

Erin Reece wrote:
Erin got started as an NPC in a long running detailed RP, and there was some interest in her so she got her own slot. But with the exception of one 4-writer PM RP, she's only been a perephial character. Maybe one day.... may help if Erin actually put an ad out, lol.

That’s pretty much how my most favorite and fleshy character came about too! If you’re ever feeling spicy and want to have a SoL interaction with Rowen, hit me up! I’d be interested in interacting with Erin.
mystery7

Have you notice sometimes there are some side characters are more better than the main cast?

You are on: Forums » RP Discussion » Do you ever want to be a side character?

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus