Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » Is it too much to ask...

MasterWinter

Just found this on Pinterest, and thought to share it.

7ceaa25c078da8ae7e8475768484f92f.jpg
Kim Site Admin

This is called Magical Realism, and it's a whole genre unto itself! :D
I want to say this is pretty much the premise of the movie Bright, on Netflix. Magic and mundane are melded. Definitely check it out, if you haven't, the universe is really interesting. I almost want to say there's dashes of this in series like The Dresden Files? (It's been a while since I've read them, though, so could be wrong).
I'd love to experiment with this kind of setting using my character Evelyn! Tech and magic existing as a complement is something you don't see that often.
This sounds so awesome! I would definitely love to try this! So many cute and awesome ideas!!
Final Fantasy has magical technology. It's always been so cool to me how they blended fantasy and modern.

I think a lot of Fantasy's are ran in a situation like Supernatural/Shadowhunters/VtM where they have to appear normal on the surface, so it can't get to the scale of Shinra Tech.

I have a place that this would absolutely be possible if you wanted, as long as you can present mundane to the mundane.

The metaphysics shop teaches real witchcraft behind the scenes and has an occult library.
There is a bakery ran by some chick that had magical edibles.
Literally had a whole drug ring ran around this magical dust.

Feel free to check us out , but we run on a client that runs in conjunction with RPR.
https://www.rprepository.com/g/Newstead
MasterWinter Topic Starter

Oh wow! Sorry all, I didn't know this had been posted to! Some reason, I never got the notice for it. That and since I use the Opera web browser, not getting any push notices. Only reason I am now responding, was because I was going to post a new topic in small chat.

@ Kim: Huh. I didn't know there was such a genre for this, even though I should have known. Where is my dunce cap?

@ Jenn: I don't have Netflix sadly, right now can't afford it. Plus the internet we have here, is not that terrific. I've read almost the whole Dresden Files collection. I think last one was Skingame. Can't be sure.

@ Evelyn/JustaBitEvil: If I ever have an OC who'd fit, as I don't know if I do or not, you are always welcome to rp with me and said OC.

@MFManda: It almost sounds like you have your own Harry Potter thing, to an extent, going on. And I never thought of Final Fantasy in that way before. Good point!
Yeah Final Fantasy is high high fantasy though so way different.

Now i want to have one of my witches that work at Rooks make special coffees and teas lol.

MFManda wrote:
Yeah Final Fantasy is high high fantasy though so way different.

Now i want to have one of my witches that work at Rooks make special coffees and teas lol.

You are most welcome for the inspiration! XD
Ricochett wrote:
This sounds so awesome! I would definitely love to try this! So many cute and awesome ideas!!

Um...let's. :D
Winters_Fury wrote:

On an app called Tik Tok they have a Cosplay group where they’re cosplaying a Witch/Wizard coffee shop and it’s so cute to watch

https://vm.tiktok.com/CGxyEM/

I actually found the link to one of their videos if you’d like to see it in action and it’s more or less based on Harry Potter but with original characters

LittleMouse wrote:
Winters_Fury wrote:

On an app called Tik Tok they have a Cosplay group where they’re cosplaying a Witch/Wizard coffee shop and it’s so cute to watch

https://vm.tiktok.com/CGxyEM/

I actually found the link to one of their videos if you’d like to see it in action and it’s more or less based on Harry Potter but with original characters

4blMSrh.gif
Evelyn and The Handsome Devil or Father Buchanan could do well in a magical realism setting. I'd be happy to cook up a plot with you!

Winters_Fury wrote:
Oh wow! Sorry all, I didn't know this had been posted to! Some reason, I never got the notice for it. That and since I use the Opera web browser, not getting any push notices. Only reason I am now responding, was because I was going to post a new topic in small chat.

@ Kim: Huh. I didn't know there was such a genre for this, even though I should have known. Where is my dunce cap?

@ Jenn: I don't have Netflix sadly, right now can't afford it. Plus the internet we have here, is not that terrific. I've read almost the whole Dresden Files collection. I think last one was Skingame. Can't be sure.

@ Evelyn/JustaBitEvil: If I ever have an OC who'd fit, as I don't know if I do or not, you are always welcome to rp with me and said OC.

@MFManda: It almost sounds like you have your own Harry Potter thing, to an extent, going on. And I never thought of Final Fantasy in that way before. Good point!
In my case, most of my characters generally do better in a low tech world. I even have a character that doesn't have any business in a modern setting due to being a genocidal giant phoenix with no shape shifting capability. It just doesn't work, it would be pushing the whole suspension of disbelief way too far to be even remotely realistic.

That being said, I do have some rps going on with modern or better tech levels that also have fantasy/magic going on. It just depends on what plot and/or what character I'm working with.

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » Is it too much to ask...

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus