Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » Mozzarella sticks.

Penholder wrote:
I'm only here to shock all of you by stating that I've never tried mozzarella sticks before.... :O

Bannable offense! ;)

I agree with Arby's having the best ones out of the fast food world! I love getting their '2 can dine for 8.99' coupon because it comes with them!
Abigail_Austin wrote:
Zelphyr wrote:
I remember not really caring for Arby's mozzarella sticks. Hm... I think it was Buffalo Wild Wings that had really really nice ones, but it might be Red Robin? Granted, those are a step up from standard fast food in general. ^^;

Yeah. True dat. Non-fast food mozzarella sticks will always win, I think. If I'm ever at BWW or Red Robin and I remember, I'll try theirs. 🍽️
Not always. If I remember right, Olive Garden's got some weird ones too. XD

Then again, maybe they don't count, I think they do triangles instead of sticks.

Honestly, best I've had was when we had a deep fryer at home and picked up our own cheap bag at the grocery store. Downside: the fryer took up a lot of space and was not fun to clean. And they tend to leak and cook a little weird in the oven...
Abigail_Austin Topic Starter

Zelphyr wrote:
Abigail_Austin wrote:
Zelphyr wrote:
I remember not really caring for Arby's mozzarella sticks. Hm... I think it was Buffalo Wild Wings that had really really nice ones, but it might be Red Robin? Granted, those are a step up from standard fast food in general. ^^;

Yeah. True dat. Non-fast food mozzarella sticks will always win, I think. If I'm ever at BWW or Red Robin and I remember, I'll try theirs. 🍽️
Not always. If I remember right, Olive Garden's got some weird ones too. XD

Then again, maybe they don't count, I think they do triangles instead of sticks.

Honestly, best I've had was when we had a deep fryer at home and picked up our own cheap bag at the grocery store. Downside: the fryer took up a lot of space and was not fun to clean. And they tend to leak and cook a little weird in the oven...

:)
Have you people heard of a place called Graffitis? It's a fun place somewhere in Georgia USA. The mozz sticks they make are the bomb!

Seriously. So. Freaking. GOOOOD!
Abigail_Austin Topic Starter

UltraNecroziumZ wrote:
Have you people heard of a place called Graffitis? It's a fun place somewhere in Georgia USA. The mozz sticks they make are the bomb!

Seriously. So. Freaking. GOOOOD!

Nope. But duly noted.
Rogue-Scribe

Here you go.... tried this after this thread came up, and Yum!

Ingredients
  • - 16 oz block whole milk mozzarella cheese (Don't use the prepackaged Mozzerella Cheese Sticks)
  • - 2 large eggs
  • - 2/3 cup italian style breadcrumbs
  • - salt
  • - freshly ground black pepper

Instructions
  • Cut the block of cheese into 125mm (1/2") sticks. I had about 12.
  • Place the eggs in a bowl with 1/8 tsp each salt and black pepper, and whisk to combine. Then place the bread crumbs in a second bowl, and season with 1/8 tsp each salt and pepper.
  • Take each cheese stick and dip it into the egg, letting the excess drip off.
  • Then coat in the breadcrumbs, shake off the excess, and place on a plate. Repeat with the remaining cheese sticks.
  • Once each cheese stick has been breaded, take each one through the egg and breadcrumbs again for a second coating. Place the mozzarella sticks in an airtight container and freeze for two hours.
  • Heat up a fryer to 185°C (365° F), and fry for about 30-60 seconds until golden brown.
  • Serve with marinara or your favorite dunking sauce. Enjoy!

Notes: First, they should be breaded twice so they have a thick enough shell to keep the cheese inside.

The other thing is to freeze them for at least two hours before frying, otherwise the cheese will likely ooze out of the shell, and that’s no fun.

The upside to this is you can make these a day ahead of time and keep them in the freezer, and fry them whenever you’re ready to serve.

Heck, you could just keep ready-to-fry mozzarella sticks in your freezer for whenever you feel like making them.

Serve them up with some marinara for dunking, and you’re ready to go.

To get started, cut a whole milk mozzarella block into sticks, and dip each stick into egg, then in bread crumbs.

Repeat this process twice, so you get a thick enough coating on the outside.

Freeze the mozzarella sticks for two hours, then deep fry for about 30-60 seconds, until golden brown.

It really doesn’t take long, as the coating is so thin, and you don’t want to overcook the cheese in the middle.
Rogue-Scribe

A quick update ... a new burger joint named (I kid you not) Sideshow Bob’s just opened near the house and they make some awesome deep fried Mozzy Sticks!
Not a mozzarella stick exactly but when I was a kid I remember that Bob Evans used to have those country fair fried cheese bites and those were legit.
fiesch wrote:
Not a mozzarella stick exactly but when I was a kid I remember that Bob Evans used to have those country fair fried cheese bites and those were legit.

HOLY HECK - I used to work for quite a long time in Bob Evans, I've never seen someone online mention it! Small world, sort of? It's not that small actually... buuut - I just haven't encountered it before...

Hhh, excuse me -

I really like Arby's to add onto the topic.
pixl.Bee

Brownies Chicken & Seafood's mozzarella bites. thank you for coming to my TEDTalk.

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » Mozzarella sticks.

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus