Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » What Are Your Coronavirus Plans?

So, due to the COVID-29 outbreak, a lot of people are going to be stuck in their homes for a while. What are your plans for entertaining yourselves during this time? What plans do you have for things like groceries, taking care of bills/expenses, housekeeping, etc.?

If you haven't been quarantined yet, do you plan to self-quarantine? Or go on with your days, but with social distancing in mind? And for those of you who are sick with the coronavirus or any other illness, how are you taking care of your symptoms?

By asking these questions, I'm hoping to build a community-written list of suggestions for those who are lost for new ideas to keep themselves safe, happy, and productive during this pandemic.
My plans are simple enough: since my area isn't put on quarantine yet, I hope to continue walking until told otherwise. I've rescheduled my walks for two days instead of three to lessen exposure, but with a bit more time added to compensate. Entertainment wise, I'm looking to try out some new recipes that I found online. I also have a few video games to catch up on, so that'll take up my time as well.

What about you guys?
Claine Moderator

Excluding people who have just arrived from abroad, Australia hasn't got any compulsory quarantine yet. And although I will be washing hands, keeping distance etc for both my own and other people’s safety, I will still be still going to work, and living my day-to-day life.

I haven’t gone crazy stocking up on supplies (I overheard someone on the phone struggling to find a freezer for sale. People haven’t only hoarded meat, but hoarded all the freezers to keep it in!) but I do have a small stash. My brother’s girlfriend owns a café and if she’s forced to close her doors she’s going to be overflowing with pies, cooked meals, bread, and milk which she’ll be desperate to rehome and I imagine I will be allowed to adopt as much as I please :D

I’m an introvert so I don’t think I’ll be starved for human interaction as some, but I think even I’ll be going a little crazy if I’m barricaded in my tiny apartment for 2 weeks. I'll miss going to the gym so I'll have to find some cardio videos on youtube to work along with. I do have games and (overdue) art that will hopefully last me! I also plan to make a short list with jobs that just need to be done and I tend to put off – such as polishing my work boots and cleaning duvet covers. If I can’t manage to get them done in 2 weeks of enforced isolation I’ll never get them done!
To be perfectly honest, my plans are essentially the same as they always are. I don't leave the house that much at all really, save to do grocery shopping and other necessities. My social life is almost entirely online so the pandemic isn't really doing much to impact me there. I might have to do some remote meetings and it might push back a few things, but really my life isn't affected all that much.
Rogue-Scribe

Aside from getting supplies, its been BAU with extra social distancing and precautions being adhered to. There is s certain amount of interactions when moving but now that its done I’ll be sticking around home.

The problem we have is getting stuff. Because we were planning to move, our stocks were allowed to run low. Who wants to move extra stuff right? So now we’re short of tp and there is none to be had anywhere. Same with facial tissue. My confession is instead of using the drive through at McDonald's, I’ve been going inside and grabbing a pile of napkins on my way out.
1. Survive the bloody thing. This takes care of most of my time, I’m very tired half of the time, to the point where I don’t mind just lying still in bed. Then I have to cook etc.

2. Keep stocking up. In my location, we have enough of most food except some fruits and veggies (such as potatoes), we have enough toilet paper etc., but some locations have started running out of shop assistants due to quarantine measures applied to concrete people who have met Covid-19 positive people. I order stuff online, either it gets dropped in front of my door, or a person who isn’t quarantined fetches it from the delivery guy and drops it in front of my door. I bet we’ll soon start running out of delivery people, we’re very very low on respirators so they’re not wearing adequate protection. So it’s sort of a “buy now or maybe in half a year’s time unless the economy really crashes” situation. We are having extremely few tests performed, even I haven’t been tested, but this is definitely not the flu or anything I’ve ever met before.

The extremely few tests are really helping the disease spread here, as many carriers don’t even have symptoms. I wasn’t expecting that. So I had to reevaluate my plans to have about a month’s worth of food (and toilet paper, lol) to live through potential mass quarantine. Now I’m aiming for three months while the delivery guys and shop assistants last. So I order 20+ kg packs of food which still miraculously keeps being in stock and some of it is even discounted.
Shadow-Ranger wrote:
Aside from getting supplies, its been BAU with extra social distancing and precautions being adhered to. There is s certain amount of interactions when moving but now that its done I’ll be sticking around home.

The problem we have is getting stuff. Because we were planning to move, our stocks were allowed to run low. Who wants to move extra stuff right? So now we’re short of tp and there is none to be had anywhere. Same with facial tissue. My confession is instead of using the drive through at McDonald's, I’ve been going inside and grabbing a pile of napkins on my way out.

Try Home Depot as they have it and people are less likely to think of looking there for it.

At least I'm lucky in that my house is well...let's just say that my relatives joked that if there was ever an apocalypse, that they would head to my house. We keep a very healthy stock of food and have a case of the large toilet papers rolls. Though I admit that I never thought I'd be talking about our supplies in anything, but jest until now.
Rogue-Scribe

Katia wrote:
Try Home Depot as they have it and people are less likely to think of looking there for it.

I’m in Australia and we don't have Home Depots. Thanks for trying to be helpful though. :)
Queen_of_Hell

If I'm outside, I'll do my best not to be near people and I wear a mask. I have bought a ton of necessities with my family, but I have to leave the house to buy things for my grandma and grandpa, given that I'm 50 years younger than them and also healthy, so they're not put under any risk outside.

Wash my hands. Religiously.

I am also taking some medication that helps my immune system.

And worrying for the people I care about who I know have health complications. Because life is crazy like that and anything can happen.
Fully intend to continue my revisit of Supernatural from season 1 ready for the UK to finally get s14, and binge as much as I can on Disney+ from Tuesday XD!
Sanne Moderator

At this point roomie and I are self-isolating as much as possible, but I still have to go out to get groceries. We're ordering everything else we can online, but grocery delivery services are so overrun they have really bad backlogs in my area, some extending into April. We both fall into high risk groups due to our chronic illnesses, so I feel very uncomfortable going out, but all support groups are focusing on the elderly and are kind of ignoring people like me, so I'm not getting any help locally. For the time being I'm just trying to limit my grocery runs, and when I am out, I avoid contact with people and I wash my hands before I do anything else when I get home.
Hi Sanne,

I’ve seen recommendations to also wash one’s face after coming home. I’ve also seen some very creative face masks made from bottles and that soft plastic kind of thing that is used to seal off windows and similar things. It makes shopping reasonably safe. Here’s an example of something similar: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dvlryShN69A

The media here reported that public transport was disinfected using ozone and soon after there was a huge surge in sales of ozone generators for household use, which can be used to disinfect whole rooms, paper, plastic, food etc. They are quite corrosive to metals though. I’m not sure if it’s currently possible for you to buy them, but if yes, IMO it can be a great way to disinfect groceries.

Take care.
Mipps

same routine for me really. Since I am a stay at home spouse I am just focusing on taking care of our property, animals and working on art.

My state isn't int -total- lockdown like California is; if I get too stir crazy I am not afraid to go walk the dog or something. There are a lot of trails around here that due to the weather and what not I bet are empty... so I might go do that for the air.

otherwise i bought some new lawn care equipment... so i might just go out that and clean things up when its sunny :3
So far doing rp and art, but they haven't cancelled exams where I am yet so so far, unless the government changes it today or this weekend, I will be doing exams next week which I have no motivation for whatsoever :(

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » What Are Your Coronavirus Plans?

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus