Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » The Divided States of America

Rogue-Scribe

I am absolutely sickened by what is going on in the country of my birth.

I see black folk gather in a peaceful protest over a blatant ‘murder-by-cop’ that was caught on-camera get tear gassed while a mob of white guys with guns storm a government building without nary a finger lifted by the authorities.

I see mobs of white anarchist looters co-opting peaceful demonstrations to trash property, and a fascist-in chief encouraging violence against journalists and calling protesters ‘terrorists’

I see police targeting journalists with their ‘non-lethal’ projectile weapons and blinding a journalist, and arresting the press for covering the story.

I see mobs of looters beating up aTV cameraman just because.

I see a hundred-thousand dead from Covid 19 with no end in sight, and surely a spike will come after all this.

I see a country burning and on the Eve of Destruction. The States of America are surely not United, and very clearly are Divided.

I hope that all my friends and family... even my trumpshirt sister... stay safe and healthy through this very dark period in American History I am absolutely sickened by what is going on in the country of my birth.

I see black folk gather l see a peaceful protest over a blatant ‘murder-by-cop’ that was caught on-camera get tear gassed while a mob of white guys with guns storm a government building without nary a finger lifted by the authorities.

I see mobs of white anarchist looters co-opting peaceful demonstrations to trash property, and a fascist-in chief encouraging violence against journalists and calling protesters ‘terrorists’

I see police targeting journalists with their ‘non-lethal’ projectile weapons and blinding a journalist, and arresting the press for covering the story.

I see mobs of looters beating up aTV cameraman just because.

I see a hundred-thousand dead from Covid 19 with no end in sight, and surely a spike will come after all this.

I see a country burning and on the Eve of Destruction. The States of America are surely not United, and very clearly are Divided.

I hope that all my friends and family... even my trumpshirt sister... and all your friends and family that are in the States of America stay safe and healthy through this very dark period in American History.

I’m getting tired of writing eulogies on Facebook for my departing friends.
Being from slightly further up north and so not being from the United States... I have a question;

What the hell is going on down there?

We're supposed to be in quarantine, why are people rioting, and looting, and protesting, and being anywhere near cops, murderous or otherwise?

I'm sorry you're surrounded by buffoons.
Rogue-Scribe Topic Starter

Despair. Black Lives Matter. The lack of common sense leadership, White privilege, pent up tensions, anarchist vandals, etc.

What is the difference between 1968 America and 2020 America? There is more plastic in cars in 2020 so they burn better.

I myself am not in the DSA at this time, but I was born and raised there and I’m getting news from my hometown of Seattle.
Ouch. Well, nonetheless, I'm sorry to hear. This also applies to anyone sensible currently living there...

...seriously, being in the DSA must be pretty disheartening right now considering just the news thereof are depressing.
It's so sad and infuriating. I've been an anxious and sad mess about it. I wish I could do more, but I've done all I can. I've donated to BLM organizations and organizations that help bail people out. I've shared posts.

I am not able to go out and risk my life in protests like these other amazingly brave people are, but I stand with them.

Peacefully or not. As long as its for a good thing. It's been shown that it doesn't matter whether black people are peaceful or not, their protesting is seen as violent anyway; and oh god people have tried to be as peaceful as possible in the past and now and are simply met with hate and violence themselves.

On top of it there have been undercover police and fake-protestors setting fires and smashing things blaming it on the actual protestors. There's been a lot of white people joining protests claiming to be there to support but then looting even after the other protestors BEG them to stop because they don't want to do that.

But in regards to more 'aggressive' tactics in general, some point, just marching, chanting, and talking isn't enough. Not when they won't listen.

It's a rough spot to be in when you're aware that what police and the government want isn't peace but rather, submission.
MasterWinter

Note: What I'm going to toss in as my 2 cents, I have not confirmed if it is true or not. Plus where I heard this from, you'll understand why i give this advance note/warning.

Supposedly, and this was coming from my 14 year old cousin, that with this being Pride month, people are going to hack into certain things (honestly I can't remember), and then go around shooting people at their homes for being anything but straight.

She literally came to my room couple days ago and told me to keep the gate closed/locked at all times.

I'm like: Why? We usually do so anyways, so I didn't understand her.

That's when she told me about hackers getting addresses of people who aren't straight, so they can go kill them. She's concerned because she's lesbian. I don't blame her for being worried.

I've personally not had issues about my sexuality. Then again I don't go around discussing it and such.

And for a 14 year old she's also very vocal, at least at home, about most of the situations that Ancient brought up.

I read that the most recent black man killed by the cop, even had first responders try to check on the man being held down. And the officer refused to let them do so.

My cousin, again who is 14, is afraid of cops here in GA, saying they are corrupt. I personally cannot say if she's right or not, as I've only had to deal with someone of law enforcement one time since being here. But they weren't at the house cause of me. I'll leave it at that.

She (cousin) also said that a woman was hit with rubber bullets, due to she was taking the trash out and wouldn't go back inside.

Also, to AlexSilverX: Yes, we are supposed to be in quarantine. HOWEVER. People here in the DSA at least, are getting restless and tired of the whole stay at home rule. There have been riots and possibly deaths due to people going to their governor about the whole thing to protest.

People are being shot and killed for stupidity, such as: Mary Sue wanted to go into her local Wal Mart but she wasn't allowed in unless she had a mask on. Due to this Mary Sue left, and later comes back and the person who told her no entry unless she had a mask on, is gunned down and killed.

Senseless killing for absolutely no reason.
To clarify what happened. (And warn that I will be describing multiple events in uncomfortable detail.)

Yes, we've been squirmy in quarantine, but most of us have still felt it necessary, while a noisy section (that has too much sway) has been protesting around government buildings and some, as mentioned, actually committing murder or other crimes because they think being asked to be considerate of others during a crisis is oppression. However, all the states have already been making an effort to start "reopening" and many businesses deemed "essential" never closed in the first place, so we've still had people going out for groceries, to pick up orders, etc. That's the pandemic side of things.

As for current riots, we have a long history of racial issues still being very much present, but getting ignored, with most people pretending racism isn't a real problem anymore. We have a long history in particular of black people being wrongfully assumed to be criminals and in particular of being mistreated, outright abused, and even murdered by police and other "law enforcement." Many efforts, peaceful and otherwise, have been made to correct this, but it tends to accomplish nothing but annoy the deniers and make them deny it louder and insist protests are being done "wrong" somehow (seriously, they even whined about a sports star quietly taking a knee during the national anthem, insisting it was somehow disrespectful of our military/veterans and that he shouldn't protest on the job and should be fired). So there's a lot of tension that's been here fir a long time, always building up until it spills over again.

And in a pretty narrow span of time, we had 4 events rock the nation, the news all overlapping. (There's been more, but these 4 were rediculously close and news spread like wildfire.)
  1. A black man was hunted down while on a jog because a couple white guys thought he resembled claimed descriptions of someone who'd stolen some stuff in the area.
  2. A white woman on camera was angry at a black man who asked her to keep her dog on a leash and who started filming her (probably to protect himself) threatened openly to call the police and tell them that a black man was threatening her life, and she proceeded to do so.
  3. Plainclothes police raided the wrong home while trying to find a suspect that had already been taken into custody. The home belonged to a black couple. Police shot at the woman and her boyfriend died trying to defend her from these unknown invaders in the middle of the night.
  4. The one that officially tripped the current protests: a black man used a $20 that he may or may not have even known was fake. Police pinned him down with a knee on his neck. The man begged for air until he passed out, and was dead by the time police finally removed the knee.

Protests started up, but while police have so carefully kept distance from the white people marching on government lawns while carrying all sorts of guns, they attempted to suppress black people protesting a wrongful death at police hands. Next thing everyone knew, a city was in chaos, a police precinct had been burned down, and other cities were joining in the protest. Since then... news has been difficult to follow, both emotionally and actually, because of how much is going on everywhere and how even reporters have been arrested and attacked by police, as well as mistaken for undercover provacatuers, plus some of our news organizations really do have a bias (and some look like they do because they're just so tired of biasing themselves in the other direction just to try to appear more fair, because it's really been that crazy).

On a hopeful note, there's been a growing number of police marching and kneeling with the protestors, though many are not willing to accept that alone as proof of any change or that anything will yet get better. System needs a major overhaul.
Well I'm glad someone is talking about this. I feel like I need someone to talk about this with to work through it and analyze it. Even though it's politics, and it might get locked.

OKAY!

I live in Texas, in the United States of America, and this is what I can tell you.

When the video first came out, literally everyone I know, all media sources, Democrats, Republicans...EVERYBODY...was united!

All condemned the police brutality. All called for justice. People who never understood certain social justice movements suddenly understood them. It's easy to understand when you watch that video.

Then protests started. I think everyone agreed with them. I did. I almost went myself, but my family freaked too much because they're seeing potential dangers, from Covid, to police violence, to protestor violence.

But then the protests drew some who wanted to (or felt it was necessary or justified to) destroy property and such. Businesses got looted and burned, and the police station of the officer who killed George Floyd was burned down.

With some of the destruction, especially that of the businesses (as opposed to police cars, etc), people started feeling divided again.

Not about their stance against police brutality, but about the protests themselves and whether more force should be used to prevent the property destruction.

Democratic leaders are generally are urging empathy, Republican leaders are generally urging "law and order," and urging the use of the national guard (domestic branch of the military).

So the moment of sudden unity is getting overshadowed by the violence. Also, there is disagreement about who is causing the violence and looting, with many mayors saying it's not resident protestors, but out-of-town political activitists.

One of my best friends went to the protests in downtown San Antonio last night. She said it was primarily peaceful, but her daughter said there was a lot of hostility, and apparently her mom managed to get into a fight with two girls confronting her who got too close to her (she's pregnant) until the crowd pulled them away. She said the crowd policed itself -- stopping anyone who was trying to get into a fight.

I guess my point is, this doesn't have to be a dividing moment, if everyone who thinks police brutality is wrong (a.k.a. everyone) turns their attention to Congress and demands changes in the law.

I hope a charismatic leader rises up with a concrete list of demands and we call all pressure Congress to do something.

This generation needs--like--it's own Martin Luther King, Jr., to focus the anger and energy out there into a movement that produces change.

Actually, Congressmen should just go ahead and start working on something to fix this problem -- because there's definitely a problem. No one should have to demand it, they should propose things themselves. Now.

Why the media is almost completely ignoring the potential surge of Corona cases from these mass protests when social distancing is all they've been talking about for the last months?

Well...as an American my guess is that it's because the media knows that a moment of mass protests or some kind of reckoning over the injustice of police brutality needs to happen? And this just happens to be the case, the story, the moment--that's finally moving public opinion on it and causing that moment to happen. So that's why I think the media and the population down here is suddenly kind of like, "What social distancing? What virus?" I guess the people protesting feel like the injustice of police brutality is more dangerous than the virus, and that protesting is helping.

And some people just want to see the show or cause chaos because they can.

And perhaps some people are just...going crazy from being socially isolated for three months. >.>

But mainly I think what you're seeing is outrage over the killing of someone by a police officer that was caught on tape. And a lack of any calming or reassuring speech from anyone in power saying what changes will be made to correct these kinds injustices (which is what normally happens) is not yet happening.

In one sentence, my guess is:

It's a controversial election year, so multiple forces are making waves, and those waves are crashing into eachother.

My friend's kid, who went to protest, was saying that the hashtag that needs to be the next big thing is:

#nohate #noH8

...because of what she experienced there.

I am hopeful that the best natural leaders among us in the USA will rise up and lead us forward, through the Coronavirus crisis and through the fallout from the George Floyd atrocity.

Then the U.S.A. will remain united.
Kim Site Admin

Hi there!

The mod team is currently having some intense discussions about how to enforce and/or revise our policies on political discussions, especially as many of us find that the line between politics and everyday life has all but vanished in many areas. We aim to have a statement about this out tomorrow or Wednesday and a clearer idea of what we're doing with ourselves and how to usefully moderate topics like this one. I want to thank people for keeping it largely respectful and on topic.

Please bear with us as we sort out how to respond to this moment in history!

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » The Divided States of America

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus