Skip to main content

Forums » RP Discussion » Collaborative OC: Baroque-era Vampire

Let's do it :

What I'd like to see

- Historical Accuracy
- High Fashion
- Subversive Tropes

What we have so far!

* So what we have so far is a composer (I propose they also play the harpsichord!) in the upper echelons of society with a soft spot with gourmet cooking. They've no great acclaim to fame or wealth, but neither are they a commoner. Their wikipedia page is dreadfully short.

* Ruffles and decadent collars are the bane of their existence.

* Large family would be amazing with the politics and drama and dynamics, perhaps? Lots of siblings, aunts, uncles, cousins. People at war with one another, people really get along very well with others. Maybe this character is someone who plays to all sides and doesn't get involved enough to have actual known enemies of anyone in the family.

* Her name is Hester: her most renowned feature are her painted brows which are a stark, stark red.
It's a very Queens of Heart look: she's ivory all over -- but accentuates herself in red like a bone eating vulture.

* Maybe she is gay, and it's a semi-open secret. This is talked about as her being a spinster and having "bosom friends" because she can't find male companionship. Her family continue to try to cretae matches for her, because after all, marriage can just be a business arrangement. She scandalizes society by continuing to refuse to be wed. (I like these Gentleman Jack vibes)

* When people discover she is a vampire or even look too deeply into her eyes, the blood leaves their face - but not because they are scared. No, she takes the blush from their skin with just a gaze and it fuels her immortality - while drinking blood simply sates a craving and grants the ability to sway emotion.

* Hester has a brother named Lecter -- she's his keeper in a lot of senses. Lecter is firm in his faith; a devout man, but he is also isolated and wealthy. Lecter is a chronically hopeless romantic; he is fate's fool and believes firmly that happenstance, even chance glances between himself and someone else, are indicative of a much larger fate. That he and that person are destined to be together. In time, he will exhaust the family coffers from grandiose gestures of romance.
Perhaps they're an artist - a musician or someone who made ornate decor pieces! Someone who was close to the riches, but not exactly extremely wealthy themselves.
...or maybe not a musician but a composer? Something more "behind the scenes" that still allows for fame...?
Whoooaaaa here she comes! Look out boy, she'll chew you up! Whoooaaaa here she comes! She's a maneater!

A chef or gourmand that is obsessed with making the perfect dinner, with the focus being that tasty tasty 'long pig'!
Silas Topic Starter

So what we have so far is a composer (I propose they also play the harpsichord!) in the upper echelons of society with a soft spot with gourmet cooking. They've no great acclaim to fame or wealth, but neither are they a commoner. Their wikipedia page is dreadfully short.

What else? :o
I propose they hate those frilly ruffs that are popular in high fashion, and subversively try to make them less popular, as they make biting someone quite annoying.
Large family would be amazing with the politics and drama and dynamics, perhaps? Lots of siblings, aunts, uncles, cousins. People at war with one another, people really get along very well with others. Maybe this character is someone who plays to all sides and doesn't get involved enough to have actual known enemies of anyone in the family.
Silas Topic Starter

Her name is Hester: her most renowned feature are her painted brows which are a stark, stark red.

It's a very Queens of Heart look: she's ivory all over -- but accentuates herself in red like a bone eating vulture.
Kim Site Admin

Maybe she is gay, and it's a semi-open secret. This is talked about as her being a spinster and having "bosom friends" because she can't find male companionship. Her family continue to try to cretae matches for her, because after all, marriage can just be a business arrangement. She scandalizes society by continuing to refuse to be wed.
When people discover she is a vampire or even look too deeply into her eyes, the blood leaves their face - but not because they are scared. No, she takes the blush from their skin with just a gaze and it fuels her immortality - while drinking blood simply sates a craving and grants the ability to sway emotion.
Silas Topic Starter

YES. These will factor in nicely.

I'm wondering if there's some basis for heat in the blood - the transference of warmth?? Vampires are very cold after all.
wilts wrote:
I'm wondering if there's some basis for heat in the blood - the transference of warmth?? Vampires are very cold after all.

I've used and seen used the heat from blood used very effectively as a trait. I've actually seen a heat-sucking vampire in fiction as well (100 Vicious Little Vampire Stories, a really excellent read if you can find it.)

I've seen heat used for feeding, passing as human, reproduction, and even for movement. A lot of times, a warm vampire is a sign that they've fed recently.
Silas Topic Starter

JayBird wrote:
wilts wrote:

I've used and seen used the heat from blood used very effectively as a trait. I've actually seen a heat-sucking vampire in fiction as well (100 Vicious Little Vampire Stories, a really excellent read if you can find it.)

I've seen heat used for feeding, passing as human, reproduction, and even for movement. A lot of times, a warm vampire is a sign that they've fed recently.

Perfect.

Hester has a brother named Lecter -- she's his keeper in a lot of senses; Lecter is firm in his faith; a devout man, but he is also isolated and wealthy. Lecter is a chronically hopeless romantic; he is fate's fool and believes firmly that happenstance, even chance glances between himself and someone else, are indicative of a much larger fate. That he and that person are destined to be together. In time, he will exhaust the family coffers from grandoise gestures of romance.
It sounds as if Lecter's potential brides-to-be have a tendency to "Dear John" him rather abruptly? And his darle, devoted sister bakes him his favorite meat pie every time?

Tongue in cheek aside, Hester could justify her acts (assuming vampire and/or cannibal) as "Protecting her family legacy" by keeping her brother from squandering it through heartfelt idiocy. If L's potential loves do meet grisly ends, and H does cover up by writing letters, then it wouldn't be a stretch to say that she's got a talent for forgery. Which... Could be all sorts of useful.

You are on: Forums » RP Discussion » Collaborative OC: Baroque-era Vampire

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus