Skip to main content

Forums » Suggestions & Development Discussion » Epic Users: Player Profile Customization

Kim Site Admin

I have a slightly wobbly prototype out for epic users to easily customize their profiles. Full CSS will come later. If this ends up working as well as I hope, the plan is to change group customization to work in a similar way. And maybe to create a simpler way to customize character templates, too.

See what I did to my profile: http://www.rprepository.com/p/Kim/

Then go customize your profile!

To start:
  1. Go to your dashboard
  2. Pick "Your Profile."
  3. Look under "Your Style."
  4. Checking the box should yield an editor. Just point and click on what you want to change.
  5. Remember to save when you've got it looking the way you want with the button underneath the editing pane.

Known issues:
  • Highlighting of areas is sometimes awkward and unreliable, but clicking on things even if they aren't highlighting properly seems to work anyway.
  • Internet Explorer still refuses to open the "flair" window (This is where you decorate your portrait). I hate you, internet explorer.
  • Sometimes clicking super close to the edge of the page makes the resultant window appear in unexpected places. Still true for the very bottom of the page, but far more easy to avoid.
  • The background color doesn't yet expand beyond its little box. Not so much a bug as something I haven't gotten around to yet.
  • Clicking on a color doesn't work reliably. For now, click and drag.
  • The color restore box doesn't update the preview.
  • Touch-screen devices insist on only selecting the background. Luckily, the scroll buttons make it possible to select anything regardless.
Darth_Angelus Moderator

Ooh, new feature!

*tests*
Ilmarinen Moderator

This is really cool! Testing and compiling a list of wonky things in a bug report right now. ;)
*laughs* i am going to check this out, Kim...if I can do this, anyone can as I have next to no CSS knowledge whatsoever.

Thank you for making the changes.

Respectfully,
Kawmra
*purrs* Even though this is only a prototype, Kim; I can definitely see this having potential. It would be interesting to see how this could be used with the character templates, if such could be used at all with such.

Thank you for allowing us to test this out.

Respectfully,
Kawmra
Giving it a go!
EEEEEEE!!!

I LOVE THIS.

*tacklehugs Kim*

This is totally majorly EPIC. *dons everything in her profile pink and purple*
I'll have to fix my 'flair' later when I'm on my other computer, since this one uses IE.

Love you Kim! <3
My epicness ended yesterday ;_;
f0x1nth3b0x wrote:
My epicness ended yesterday ;_;

D:!!

*huggleluffles Foxy*
Kim Topic Starter Site Admin

Updates:
  • Strong armed IE into displaying the flair box.
  • Rewrote the way highlighting gets done, so it more reliably highlights what you're looking at instead of doing it once and then stopping until you move your mouse out of the editing pane.
  • Changed the highlight color to a green instead of blinding white, so it will be less, well, blinding... But I think I might change it back, because even though the white is startling, it feels like more solid feedback.
  • Added 11 new pieces of flair: The ever popular ink splatter, a series of small colors glows provided by darth_angelus, and a computer terminal also provided by darth_angelus
  • Extended f0x's epic account by 3 days so she can help test. But she has to promise to give some form of feedback so I CAN MAKE STUFF GOODER.

Now working on making the decorator window not fall off screen on tiny monitors.
You're the best Kim! I was having trouble getting my recent activity box to change color when I was playing with it before, but let me check now that you've tinkered.

f0x1nth3b0x wrote:
You're the best Kim! I was having trouble getting my recent activity box to change color when I was playing with it before, but let me check now that you've tinkered.

It's still hard as the dickens to target some things. I'll be surprised if I've managed to make it easier yet.
Kim wrote:
Updates:
  • Changed the highlight color to a green instead of blinding white, so it will be less, well, blinding... But I think I might change it back, because even though the white is startling, it feels like more solid feedback.

I think the white was better.. for an example, the green is nice but some colours bleed in to it.
Actually, I was able to get it this time. I agree with Dylan on the green thing. Maybe a light gray would be better than white?

Updated Again:
  • The decorator window now resists falling off the right side of the page
  • Highlighted areas dip to a darker color (or sometimes green. I'm not sure why it picks green, but I don't think I care that much.) Then goes to a bright color (not quite white). This should ensure that it is obvious what is being highlighted, even if for some bizarre reason you picked pure white or pure black for everything. The only thing that doesn't do this "dip" is the portrait highlighting, for a variety of technical reasons.
  • New arrow buttons at the top allow you to quickly scroll through all customizeable areas, without having to fool around with targeting things on the mock-up. Should be handy for people with touchscreens, touch pads, or perfectly good mice but no patience.
  • Fixed some more minor display issues in Internet Explorer

A few more issues still exist, but they are mostly minor. I think I've now managed to address all of the major initial concerns that have been brought to me about this feature. I will sift through the current reports and award accolades to the things that led to changes later tonight. :)

Thank you everyone! I think this is the fastest we've ever seen a major undertaking like this go through changes. In less than 24 hours, it is a much stronger and easier to use tool.

And again:
  • You now get visual feedback when scrolling through editable things, so you know what you're about to work on. They highlight briefly.
  • Clicking on a color now works. You are no longer required to click and drag.
  • Clicking on your original color will reset the preview to the original color.

You are on: Forums » Suggestions & Development Discussion » Epic Users: Player Profile Customization

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus