Skip to main content

Forums » Epic Week 2021 » D20 Symbol (SOLVED)

Please log in to participate in Epic Week challenges.

Kim Site Admin

This topic is for discussing clues and potential answers to the D20 Symbol in Epic Week 2021. Please stay on topic. Remember, these riddles are designed to be challenging and require a group of people brainstorming together; don't feel intimidated if you don't know the answer right away. Every little idea can help. Research is not cheating; it is expected!

Click here to visit the location of the D20 Symbol
Hm this looks intersting.
I'm ready for this. Anyone know anyone who was born the first of the month?
Dragonfire Moderator

I think this one means someone born in January!

edit: also lol it definitely ain't Pharasma
Ah, I didn't read it properly. Thanks Dragonfire!
Kim Topic Starter Site Admin

Thanks for unlocking the second clue, Shadeslayer45! :D
Ilmarinen Moderator

Ah, an icosahedral enigma...
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beholder_(Dungeons_%26_Dragons)

So second part of the clue is clearly referring to a beholder.
Dragonfire Moderator

Hmmm. I'm not sure of any lady-led parties attacking a beholder in the Forgotten Realms books, but it's been a while since I've read them. But Critical Role, maybe? If we're talking about Lady Kima... she was turned to stone in that fight, I think.
Dragonfire wrote:
Hmmm. I'm not sure of any lady-led parties attacking a beholder in the Forgotten Realms books, but it's been a while since I've read them. But Critical Role, maybe? If we're talking about Lady Kima... she was turned to stone in that fight, I think.

Is that only a party of 4 (at most) though?
Dragonfire Moderator

I'm not sure if it was or not. Regardless, "petrified" and "turned to stone" were not it.
Ilmarinen Moderator

Drawing a blank here, but if it's 5th edition (released 2014), I guess that rules out the Dungeons and Dragons movies, anything to do with Stranger Things, and all Chick tracts.

On the off chance the clue month and day are relevant, January 12th was when they announced the Candlekeep Mysteries sourcebook for 5th ed, which was about some library in Forgotten Realms that was historically stacked with prophecies of the Realms' future. Kind of a stretch, though.
Cass Moderator

I asked my partner, they said this to me:

"Her premonitions have just become more accurate:
Could pertain to a Class in DND 5E

With a trio of friends she tackles an i-conic enemy at home
Could describe a type of spell in DND 5e (i-conic - cone?)

and Where does that leave her could describe the result of the spell."

not sure if it helps. :D
Dragonfire Moderator

Hhhhhhhh if this was about Golarion I would not be having these problems. The last time I paid attention to any D&D canon was back during 3.5 somewhere.

The problem is that there's just so much - between the Forgotten Realms, Eberron, Greyhawk, etc etc, or any one of the 'notable' campaigns that have sprung up over the past few years (and there's a ton of those), and all of those aforementioned settings are huge, even with the restriction of 5e. Gods are pretty standard across all settings; adventurers less so. I'm having difficulties narrowing down where to even start, to be honest!

Like, let's assume that we're dealing with FR, which is probably the biggest canon offshoot. Are we talking about Mystra, post-Spellplague, but before she puts the clamp down on certain types of divination magic? One of her chosen? One of her kids? This could easily be talking about Alustriel Silverhand - maybe when she was dealing with Larloch - or just as easily be talking about Dove Falconhand (who is now dead, AFAIK).

My life for an Augury!
All of that does sound pretty daunting, if DND 5E is the pity hint meant to get the ball rolling I'd start there.

Tasha's Guide to Everything was a big sourcebook recently (delayed shipping date 12/1) but I don't know what Tasha fights or the first thing about her.

I did like the guess that an 'i-conic' enemy is a beholder, which has a bunch of eyes/cone attacks. If the 'home' belonged not to the person from the first hint but to the beholder it would be Xanathar, who would disintegrate enemies or turn them to stone or whatever.

The possibility of some podcast parties fitting the bill wasn't a bad idea either.

Another bonus clue has been added
Dragonfire Moderator

Ooooookay.

I'm fairly sure we're talking about someone who adventures forth to tackle a beholder in its lair, judging by the second clue. 'Core' suggests we're limited to a few books: the Player's Handbook, Monster Manual, DM Guide, Volo's Guide to Monsters, Xanathar's Guide to Everything, Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes, and Tasha's Cauldron of Everything.

Maybe there's something about an example encounter, somewhere, in one of these?

Xanathar is a beholder, but I'm not sure he discusses much about adventurers who drop by for a cup of tea in his lair in that book. Hrm.

Another booooonus clue
Beholders are CR14 11,500 XP. We can try that, or divided by four. -Monsters Manual Page 'A'?

You are on: Forums » Epic Week 2021 » D20 Symbol (SOLVED)

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus