Skip to main content

Forums » Epic Week 2021 » Regeneration Symbol (SOLVED)

Please log in to participate in Epic Week challenges.

Kim Site Admin

This topic is for discussing clues and potential answers to the Regeneration Symbol in Epic Week 2021. Please stay on topic. Remember, these riddles are designed to be challenging and require a group of people brainstorming together; don't feel intimidated if you don't know the answer right away. Every little idea can help. Research is not cheating; it is expected!

Click here to visit the location of the Regeneration Symbol
Cass Moderator

Looks like a Tardis to me!
Dragonfire Moderator

Sure does! Think we might have to consult a Doctor about this one.
The Third Doctor is John Pertwee.
Kim Topic Starter Site Admin

I think I'm in the 30s for Doubutt wins. I'll go push some weapons around ;)
Tar

Viserys Targaryen (from GoT) was also known as The Third of his Name and was portrayed by Harry Lloyd, who also played Son of Mine (of the Family of Blood) in the Doctor Who episodes "Human Nature" and "The Family of Blood".

We need more clues, but odds are good we're looking at Son of Mine?

https://tardis.fandom.com/wiki/Son_of_Mine
Ilmarinen Moderator

Lookie here! Thanks for unlocking clue #2, Kim :D
Kim Topic Starter Site Admin

Heimdall wrote:
Lookie here! Thanks for unlocking clue #2, Kim :D

*hangs off the side of Forohfor to salute*
Dragonfire Moderator

There we go, knew I had to be close to having gazed enough at the beauty of Forohfor. :P
I'm wondering if this might not be a reference to the first appearance of The Master but I don't know enough about original Who
Dragonfire Moderator

Hrm hrm hrm. Lessee. Third of his name.

Off the top of my head - could be The Doctor. Could also be The Master. There's also Canton Everett Delaware III, but I don't think he ever goes away from Earth, and he's only around for a couple of episodes.
Dragonfire Moderator

Ah, that’s right, The Master first showed up during a Third Doctor serial. Something to do with that, perhaps?
"Like the Doctor, the Master fled from Gallifrey in a TARDIS of his own, and, having fully embraced his darker nature, would go on to pit himself against the Third Doctor and UNIT during the Doctor's exile on Earth."

Pulled from the Tardis fandom wiki. The question becomes is the answer just The Master, or is it the Master's first words on the show cause I don't know how to look the up XD
IF. We're pushing for the Master, things get convoluted. Third Incarnation: Does this count the War Chief and the Monk, who, depending on the source material, are often attributed as the Master's earliest regenerations? That makes 'three' Roger Delgado. Assuming that's NOT the case, because that's largely fanon, and we can take 'third of his NAME' literally, then that narrows it down to Geoffrey Beevers, MAYBE Anthony Ainley (if you accept that Peter Pratt and Geoffrey Beevers were playing the same incarnation), or Eric Roberts, if you want to be specific about actors who played the role's actual "face".

Assuming it's the simplest route and this just means Eric Roberts, then his first line is "I must find the Doctor." Assuming this means his first line AS the Master and not the first line spoken by Bruce.

I feel like it's a lot deeper than that, though.
Earth is commonly known as the blue planet, although it is more commonly known in Doctor Who as Terra or Sol-3
Though I did not try 'Metabelis III' I did enter Jon Pertwee, the Master, the names of the actors and cast from the episode with the spiders in space. I think there might be ANOTHER blue planet visited by the third Doctor.

Also, I tried every name of the Master (actors) from the Jon Pertwee era as well as 'Missy'.

I didn't have time to research other 'blue' planets.
Focusing on that "the first we hear of a sinister drawl", a few things:

Metebelis III (the blue planet) is first visited in Green Death, but no words are actually said when he visits the planet (that I can recall, though my quick rewatch was very cursory). He visits again in Planet of the Spiders, but... "finally gets to the blue planet", does that mean when he finally gets to it in that serial, maybe? Other people come and go from the planet before he gets there, and when the Doctor finally does, he speaks to Sarah Jane, gets attacked by the guards, and the closest I can guess to a "sinister drawl" is "Let him approach." said by the Queen at the time (not really 'sinisterly' but).

I'm too tired to check if the ward's free to test things so. I'm going to sleep, go wild.

"Metebelis III"
"We are successful?" (first words said on-screen FROM the planet--Spider Council.)
"Let him approach." (first "sinister" words [other than "Stop!"] said to the Doctor upon his [second] arrival.)
"Stop! Have you brought the crystal to me?" (If you want to... I don't know, count his arrival in the actual Cavern as his 'arrival'.)
Dragonfire Moderator

Gave the Metabelis III/Metebelis III as well as the dialogue bits highlighted below a try, and no dice. Also tried the first words we hear from the Master: "I am usually referred to as the Master." - also no good.
I can't help thinking this is the name of the episode being reference, given the wording of the clues.
Also, the Bonus Clue: The last we see of a young assistant. Now assuming that this a whole Doctor Who thing, and it has something to do with The Master, then from there one could simply scroll through the series and try to find episodes where the Doctor both encounters the Master and is the final appearance of one of the Doctor's companions. Now, so far, the only episode I know of that ticks both boxes would be "Survival", the final episode of the series's original run, since the Master appears in this, and it is the final time that Ace appears on screen. I'll admit I'm just throwing out what I know, but I believe that it may be of some help.

You are on: Forums » Epic Week 2021 » Regeneration Symbol (SOLVED)

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus