Skip to main content

Forums » Suggestions & Development Discussion » First Post of Topic in Activity Feed (REJECTED)

When I post a new topic and subscribe to it, I notice that it does not appear in my activity feed until it gets a response. (Which is sometimes... never. <.< )

Could that first post show up there too? It would make it quicker to go find it again (for the inevitable edits! XD)
From my experience, sometimes it does happen, sometimes it doesn't. Same thing when manually subscribing to an existing topic right after posting in it. Sometimes it shows up in my feed, sometimes not.

I've ruled out character connections being the cause as well (at least with the latter scenario), because it's happened with a new character with no connections when posting in forum games (something strikes me that maybe you're not supposed to get a post in your feed under such circumstances though).

I do agree however that it's useful to have new topics in one's feed.
Kim Site Admin

Does clearing your notifications cache have any impact on this?
I can't remember whether or not all of the forum games I'm still subscribed to had shown up at the time (because I did a dumb and forgot to check before clearing the cache), but they're there after clearing the cache... along with older activity from those posts by other users from before I subscribed to them from - I dunno if that's intended or not (those most definitely weren't there before I cleared the cache).

But only the topic starters by characters who have connections with other characters in my roster are there when it comes to first posts.
Juls Topic Starter

Just tried. Nope. I see a notification for Riik's response and one for your response, Kim. But not one for my original post.

But I'm not in the same boat as Riik. I don't start a ton of topics, but I've never seen my original topic creation show up in my activity feed. I just assumed that was the way it worked because (presumably) the subscription is added immediately after the topic is created rather than before.

Edit: I'm not sure Riik and I are talking about the same thing... <.<
Kim Site Admin

Okay, so... To prevent Server from catching fire from figuring out which notifications are relevant to each person, when you visit your homepage, Server generally memorizes which notifications were relevant to you, and which was the last notification he checked for relevance to you. The next time you visit your homepage, he only searches through new notifications that are relevant to you, without re-checking all the previous ones.

If you start a topic, visit the homepage, and then think, huh, you know, I'd like to be subscribed to my topic and go back to subscribe to it -- the notification of that topic being started will be in the past and will not be checked again now that you're subscribed to it. So you'll only see new responses to that topic, not anything that happened before your subscription.

If you make your topic and subscribe immediately and THEN visit your homepage, it won't have already been checked for relevance prior to your subscribing, so it will show up. If you are someone who keeps your homepage open in a tab all the time and it is constantly checking for updates for you every few minutes, that will also update Server's timestamp about when it last evaluated notifications for relevance for you.
This is very likely why you are seeing variability about when it shows up on your homepage and when it doesn't. It's just timing.

When you clear the notifications cache, Server forgets everything it has memorized and starts over evaluating notifications from the beginning, so items that previously were judged as not relevant to you but have since become relevant will show up again.
Kim Site Admin

Juls wrote:
Just tried. Nope. I see a notification for Riik's response and one for your response, Kim. But not one for my original post.

But I'm not in the same boat as Riik. I don't start a ton of topics, but I've never seen my original topic creation show up in my activity feed. I just assumed that was the way it worked because (presumably) the subscription is added immediately after the topic is created rather than before.

Edit: I'm not sure Riik and I are talking about the same thing... <.<

I think you and Riik may not be talking about the same thing! ;) Let me take a peek at your situation for you.
Juls Topic Starter

Thanks! Do you want me to submit a bug report for tracking?
Yeah, I added my bit as a sorta extra because I thought it was relevant. Though not long after I posted, I wondered whether my experience with topic titles might have just been down to characters with ties with my other characters and having forgotten such ties at the time (which to be honest might well be the case).
Kim Site Admin

So after double checking, this is expected behavior; I try not to show your own posts on the homepage, as it's primarily for alerting you to stuff other people have done.

May I suggest, that if you want to do an edit, you tap the pencil next to "Subscribed Topics." It's in the sidebar of the homepage, right at the top. You can find links to every topic you're subscribed to right there.

You are on: Forums » Suggestions & Development Discussion » First Post of Topic in Activity Feed (REJECTED)

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus