Skip to main content

Forums » Fantasy Roleplay » The Wailing of the Mist (Closed)

Manaka Shimizu (played by FreeJayFly) Topic Starter

Fish bones were fragile when it came to the beast's strength. Though it seemed surprised for a moment, the bordoeu growled before turning toward Kiran, nostrils flaring. It changed its course so that it was now barrelling toward the individual who had just cast their magic. Its movement was only slightly hampered as the bones seemed to entangle themselves around the bordoeu's feet and calves.

The crunching and snapping of bones were heard. Manaka pivoted around on her heel, looking through the area. There was a flash of confusion on her face when she witnessed Kiran, though she could not linger on that too much as she looked at the bordoeu.

Positioning her hands before her, Manaka's aura intensified, her eyes and general aura glowing with that magenta hue as energies wrapped around the bordoeu to stop it from crashing into Kiran. The telekinetic tendrils held back the bordoeu, and the strain could be felt both physically and mentally for Manaka as she tensed up and had to brace herself from getting pulled forward. It was as if she were hanging onto ropes, except that her body and mind were the anchors.

"Get back up on your feet!" Manaka called out, not realising that Kiran probably could not hear her.
Kiran (played by Leighoflight)

He could not hear her or anything for that matter, his sense of hearing had been robbed from him momentarily. Standing up he’d wipe his chin clean with the sleeve of his hoody and watch silently as the beast was being held back and Manaka was glowing like a pink Christmas tree. In any other situation where death wasn’t a very really thing he may have smirked and commented but for now he was grateful for her support.

Kiran needed to think fast and grabbed one of the glass vials from his hoody pocket and crushed it in his hand. What then happened was for the most part hidden by his hoody sleeve at the fog. The nails on his right hand grew into long claws and a small mouth formed in the centre of his palm, lined with rows upon rows of nasty little teeth. He’d then run around the side of the bordoeu and fire small projectiles at the creatures ears and nose. It was blind but it’s other senses gave the pairs position away, Kiran’s efforts would try to disable its senses.

A bit too preoccupied with holding back the beast to the best of her abilities, Manaka had pulled back on the tendrils to prevent the bordoeu from swiping angrily at Kiran. She was, however, pulled forward forcibly as the bordoeu was pelted with the projectiles. It groaned and snarled with both annoyance and anger.

Bracing her feet back into the dirt, Manaka leaned back and pulled once more. The bordoeu resisted, though was brought up into a more upright position as it fought the telekinetic force that held strong. As Kiran shot his projectiles, two of them hit the bordoeu in its left ear, causing it again to roar out. It swiped violently in the direction where the projectiles came from, dragging Manaka forward for a moment before she righted herself.

Gritting her teeth, Manaka furrowed her brow and mustered up a small burst of strength -- mostly mental strength. The bordoeu was raised off the ground and slammed into a nearby tree. After which, the tendrils dispersed and Manaka staggered back, a hand going to her head as a small trickle of blood fell from her nose.

Pushing itself back into a standing position after the attack, the bordoeu seemed even more upset. Its rows of snaggleteeth were bared once more before it roared out, rattling the trees and ground beneath them all. This time, it charged for Manaka, shouldering her down to the ground while she fought the temporary dazed state that her powers put her in.

Kiran had managed to pepper the creatures head and neck with tiny projectiles. On closer inspection would reveal them to be teeth and bits of bone. There was no way that this would be enough to stop a creature of this size. Any orges he’d seen in movies or comics tended to take a lot of damage before going down. He simply assumed and prayed that that was the case having no real experience to go off of. Kiran was a doctor, not a monster hunter!

Then the creature when smashing into a tree, still angry and nowhere close to showing any sign of slowing down. He never expected it to be so fast! Or for the ground to vibrate his skull from that roar, they missed that bit in films!
It was charging for Manaka he’d have to think of something to get its attention, she’d be paste if it got in a good hit.

Kiran ran up to the beast and threw several of those small vials in its direction. On impact they set ablaze as if they contained a flammable oil. Even the patch of black on the floor lit up and burned with an unnaturally darker color than that covering the bordoeu.

Hoping that was enough he’d keep running to avoid getting swiped.

The attack of the bordoeu was not hampered by Kiran in that moment as its shoulder made contact with Manaka, sending the miko rolling over the ground. Leaves and dirt stuck to her outfit and hair as the sound of pain escaped her. She looked up, expecting more from the bordoeu, though only saw that it had caught fire and was swiping wildly while trying to put out the flames -- or so she assumed.

Pushing herself back into a standing position, Manaka looked around -- searching for... something. She cursed under her breath as it seemed whatever she was looking for was not there quite yet.

The bordoeu, on the other hand, seemed to take to slamming itself on the ground in attempts to put out the flames. Getting anywhere close to it would have been ill-advised, as the bordoeu seemed to be carelessly flopping about, grunting and roaring out as it did all in its power to rid itself of the burning flames upon itself.

Kiran flinched as he saw Manaka struck by a shoulder slam, he had to get over to that side to reach her. However, there was a giant monster standing between them wildly thrashing around, he’d sprint around the top and over to Manaka.

“Good to see that fire works!” he was breathing heavily from the short burst of sprinting and the pain in his lungs from the earlier kick back. After a few seconds he noticed she was looking for something “You alright?” not knowing the language but he understood a curse when he heard one.

His focus on the beast returned and Kiran checked how many vials he still had, it wasn’t many. Should he keep them for more fire? fire seemed to be effective. He had another idea but it would require more than he had prepared “Just a heads up I’ve only got so much ammo left before I have to start restocking…” which he didn’t expect he’d get a chance to do here nor wanted to fight as he usually would.

"Fine," Manaka replied in regards to her overall status. Other than the dirtied coat, bloodied nose, and the now slightly dishevelled hair, she did seem okay enough to keep going if need be. Though, all things considered, Manaka did not want to rely on her unique ability for too much longer -- if she could just use some of her other learned magic, things would have been fine.

The bordoeu, though on fire, seemed to have allowed anger to fuel him more than anything else. He still had smouldering patches on him, but his focus went back to both Kiran and Manaka. He charged at them once more, though a loud thrumming could be heard before what could only be described as a shrill caw rang out. It halted the bordoeu, if only for a moment, as the thumps of large feet slamming against the ground could also be heard.

Through the fog, a large beastly humanoid appeared and leaped at the bordoeu, slashing at it with its claws and getting into an overall brawl with it. The new creature was clad in black, opalesque feathers, had eight eyes -- each of them red like rubies, and a long silky tail flowed behind it. It was nearly twice as tall as Manaka -- maybe only a little over half a metre taller than Kiran. Regardless, the bordoeu took some deep cuts from the new creature, red gashes torn open across its chest and shoulder.

"It's about damn time you showed up, you damn near useless narcissist!" Manaka exclaimed at the new creature. Meanwhile, the albino crow perched itself upon her shoulder before she reached up to it and opened another portal from it to pull out a catalpa bow stained red. Once it was retrieved, the crow flew off.

Addressing Kiran, Manaka said to him, "Shou can only keep him distracted for so long. He might look strong on the surface, but the asshole is centuries out of date. You might have to back him up while I try to get a clear shot on him."

After this, Manaka held the bow in a way to basically say that she was going to use it.

Kiran stopped and stared at the new fighter, some sort of giant demonic bird!? Manaka didn’t seem all too worried and spoke about ‘him’ casually enough to insult the creature. “THAT thing is Shou? Okay…” blinking repeatedly. Of course the girl with a white portal bird, pink glowy magic would have a demon bird friend…still leaning towards the ridiculous amount of Japanese media he tended to consume. “Yeah sure…”

Digging into his hoodie front pocket he’d pull out half of the rest of his vials, 4 in total and smash them on the floor under his boot then backing up. The blood would instantly congeal into thin spears that would fire off into the air towards the bordoeu, once again the blood ignited on impact. There wouldn’t be enough blood to form thick spears that could do some decent damage but he hoped the fact they’d go into the skin and set on fire would help.

Watching Kiran for a moment, Manaka looked back to the bordoeu, who seemed to have more than his fair share of fighting to do. Now with both Shou and Kiran facing off against him, Manaka had to look for a clean opening as she assumed an archer's stance and pulled back on the drawstring. An arrow of mystical energy formed within -- again, magenta in colour, as anything that Manaka did with magic tended to take the colour of.

Though drawn in confidence, Manaka let loose the energetic arrow a tad too soon as Shou had the bordoeu's disgusting teeth sunk into his shoulder. The pain that Shou felt radiated through Manaka, making her wince and gasp out. Furrowing her brow, she felt like she should have been used to it by now, but it was an unfortunate side effect of the curse she and Shou shared.

However, with Kiran's assistance with the spears of fiery blood that shot out toward the creature, it had let go of Shou. There was another bellow of pain from the bordoeu that made the area around everyone shake, and caused the tree branches and leaves to rattle. With its skin on fire, the stench that emanated from it could undoubtedly be construed as anything but awful.

Of course, with the bordoeu distracted, Shou swiped out again at the monster, his claws raking into its skin. The bordoeu staggered back, too much seemingly happening at once with it. It was just enough for Manaka to straighten her pose once more, shake off the pain that just coursed through her arm, and pull back on the drawstring again.

With the energies flaring to life once more, Manaka loosed the arrow once she felt confident enough that the arrow would hit its mark. It sailed through the air before piercing through the bordoeu. No mark was made on its skin, but the creature soon let out a sighing groan of defeat before falling to the ground where its skin started to flake off like smouldering ash.

Stepping forward while reaching up with her opposite hand to rub at her shoulder that correlated with where Shou was bitten, Manaka watched as the body's form burned away and revealed something that caused Manaka to furrow her brow. The bordoeu had revealed a rather portly man, dressed seemingly well enough to indicate a position of wealth or power. Though the sight seemed to make Manaka's face twitch in anger before she stormed to the body and kicked it with her heel.

"Bastard! The payment was a lie! Your concern for your daughter was a lie!" Manaka exclaimed. Her face had reddened as she kicked at the body a few more times to vent out that frustration.

He still couldn’t believe the sight of the creature thing being Shou, but then he didn’t have much interaction with shapeshifters or demons on a regular basis. He’d watch her fire off some sort of magic arrows and when the bordoeu roared he felt his bones vibrate and he fell backwards into the mud. He scrambled onto his feet just in time to see it drop the floor.

Once the beast went down he stared in disbelief at the sight of it burning away and leaving the body of a human man “Was he…in that thing…or WAS he that thing?…” And then Manaka starts kicking the corpse!? “Ok! Ok! enough! question! whats going on?” he looks over to where he last saw the creature Shou, wondering where he went to.

He then noticed that Manaka was injured or at least nursing a sore shoulder. “Hey…are you alright?” he wandered over

It might have been dead but they weren’t out of the woods yet and still with a whole heap of questions.

((I apologise for the delay in responses. I've been working on a rather large project that's been eating a lot of my time, and sometimes making me feel just a little mentally and emotionally drained. ^^; I'm doing my best, though! :D I've been having a lot of fun with this RP and seeing where it goes. :>))

Exhaling with a sense of indignation, Manaka pushed some stray locks of hair from her face and glared down at the body that had been revealed after it had been defeated. Composing herself only somewhat, she looked to Shou and then to Kiran.

"This asshole is the mayor of the town where I picked up the job. The supposed worried father of the daughter he asked us to search for," Manaka explained rather briefly, her grip on her catalpa bow tightening. It was rather clear that the situation made her furious.

"He did only seem too eager to let strangers to the town take on the job than the local authorities..." Shou's voice was more of an echo projected to the minds of both Manaka and Kiran in that moment as his large figure loomed over the two. However, as he spoke -- rather, projected his thoughts -- a black mist started to swirl around him before he shifted back into the form that he had when he and Manaka first met Kiran.

"I can only assume that it meant that he saw us as his next meal," Shou continued, his voice now coming out of his form's mouth rather than being heard in anyone's head.

(No worries)

Kiran frowned as Manaka explained the situation and then a voice in his head seemingly coming from the giant bird monster. Blinking repeatedly as he gave Shou an up and down look more than a few times. 'Are those head wings?' he thought to himself but kept quite for a moment.

Ok…recap….stuck in the middle of a foggy forest with a girl and her bird demon trying to not die or get eaten by banshees or trolls and theres some little girl involved? but that was now debatable since the one who claimed the child was missing was an orge…..but then the banshee mentioned she was missing a child…but who knows how long ago that was...

All of this was going on in Kiran’s head while he stared at the corpse and heard the pair talking in the background.

“Sooo…..What about going back to the banshee….? if she knows we killed this guy….” he really didn’t have a clue where to go with this next other than throwing more blood in the water to see if anything else came out…probably now since this guy seemed to be a large predator in his own right.

"It's possible that she will receive closure for her... situation..." Manaka said in regards to the banshee. "Should she have no family members living any longer, her purpose and ties to this plane of existence would be severed. Though... I don't necessarily know what that means for the spirits and beings of this land. Where I'm from, should something like that happen, I or another of power passes divine judgement to send a soul to Tengoku or Jigoku -- my peoples' iteration of 'Heaven' or 'Hell'."

Nursing her shoulder a moment longer, Manaka looked up to where Toshi had been before the white crow flitted back to her and perched upon her shoulder. She returned the bow to it before looking back to the body. She scowled before folding her arms and sighing.

"But yes... I believe perhaps we should find the banshee. I would be interested to see what happens after provided closure," Manaka mentioned, adjusting her purse and facing the direction that the orange string would lead them back to in order to backtrack. It helped that the fog was starting to disperse as well.

Kiran simply shrugged “I’m a doctor, not a priest unfortunately, zero idea as to all this spirit stuff….” He was glad Manaka was here as she had some sort of clue as to what was maybe happening. “So we killed this guy….and the banshee leaves….Is that it? or would there be more things haunting this wood? I’m assuming you aren’t here to clear out all the critters are you if looking for a child was the goal?” However the quest giver to so speak had just tried to eat them..there was most likely no child actually to be found or saved.

He’d follow behind her and keep an eye on the floor for any herbs he could find. Not many considering the ground was still covered in fog despite it starting to lift. Off they would go, down the orange string to see the banshee once more.

"I don't know," Manaka replied both plainly and honestly in regards to the status of the banshee should the group were to provide her with details of the confrontation and end result. With a shrug of her shoulders, Manaka then placed her hands on her hips as she continued walking back in the direction of the orange thread, taking it up and winding it around her hand. Now that there was no need for it as a visual marker, she was gathering it back up for later use.

"As for 'clearing up critters'..." Manaka continued on as the group walked. "Well... that was the only critter I wanted to clean up. In the end, anyway. Though... I suppose now it would be of interest to report the mayor's body to the local authorities after all is said and done here. However..."

Manaka took pause and looked to Shou more than Kiran. She seemed to purse her lips in thought.

"I suppose it would be best to leave an anonymous tip rather than personally seeing to that myself. I'd hate to get caught in whatever affairs arise were I to do it myself," Manaka concluded on that thought. Surely, she would be taken in for questioning and seen as a likely suspect in that, all things considered. Best not to involve herself further. But at least the town would be safe from future missing persons cases.

Continuing to wind the string around her hand, Manaka fell silent as they walked before soon coming across the area where the banshee had been. Though... it seemed that there was no banshee to have been found. All that had been left was the square photograph that Manaka had given her of her daughter left on the ground.

Kiran would follow Manaka’s lead through the fog following the orange string, handy stuff that. “Ah fair enough, but if he was the one that gave you the job…and you just killed him…does that mean you ain’t getting your money?” not that he wanted a part of it, he was simply curious.

“Yeah…probably for the best to do an anonymous tip off. Last thing you want is to get tangled up in that nonsense.” Shaking his head and waving a hand dismissively. Gaze facing the floor keeping an eye out for plants, grabbing a couple along the way.

He almost walked into Manaka as she stopped, looking up in confusion at the space by the water and no banshee. “Oh…well that answers that then…” wandering over slowly and reaching down to pick up the photo and pass it over. “Glad to see she’s passed on..”

"It seems we wouldn't be getting paid, no," Shou responded to Kiran in Manaka's stead. It seemed that the smaller woman had been a little preoccupied in the mind.

Walking forward, Manaka took the picture from the ground and frowned to herself. Calling Toshi over, she took the time to pull out a small, pocket notepad from her purse along with a pen. Swiftly, she wrote down some details and brief notes before ripping it from its spot and folding it around the photograph. Handing it to Toshi, she gave her instructions in Japanese before the albino crow took off.

"It's not anything I'm not used to by now," Manaka finally spoke, regarding the payment and overall situation of things. "Though... I certainly am not too used to my client also being my target. I'm more used to not getting paid at the end of the job on occasion. It just means we'll have to look elsewhere for some monetary gain."

Even if the topic was on that of finance, Manaka had to take the victory where it laid: freeing the people of the neighbouring town of the disease that plagued it and litearlly ate away at their citizens.

"I do suppose that also means Shou and I should get going to the next place," Manaka said, getting her notepad and pen put away. "I'm not sure wherever that may end up being."

"Ah... yes..." Shou spoke up, looking thoughtful. "Ever on your journey."

Manaka merely glanced in Shou's direction after his comment. Though she shrugged her shoulders before turning her attention back to Kiran.

"I don't suppose you would know of an inn or motel that's not in the town flanking this forest, would you?" Manaka asked. She could camp, but that was not something she wanted to do in that area. Even if the threat of the bordoeu was lifted, the authoritative threat of local police or law enforcement was, again, not something she wanted to deal with.

“Well that sucks…” he replied to Shou’s comment. “Why not gather some of these plants? they have a high market value at the moment cause no one comes in and harvests them.” He says as he spots another on the waters edge and pockets it. Kiran was now less interested in the stuff he couldn’t understand since he didn’t know Japanese.

“Freelance....ghost hunting? demon killing? sounds like tough work. I don’t envy either of you, got enough to deal with with my GP practice..” he shrugged. “I do wonder though if that big monster and those deers are related….seemed weird…” commenting idly.

At Manaka’s question Kiran paused to think “I’m staying in a BnB just outside of town that backs onto this forest. But from here and with this fog I wouldn’t know my way back…” That did slightly worry him, how was he going to get back?

((Apologies once more for the massive delay. No intention of it, just that life is really hectic at the moment. ; w ; Holidays coming up don't help. TT u TT Thank you for being so patient with me, though!))

"... I guess that makes sense..." Manaka replied. She let out a small sigh through her nostrils before reaching into her purse to grab her phone. A dull ache still throbbed in her shoulder -- she supposed that Shou was still feeling the effects of combat even after shifting back. Though a nuisance, she did little to comment on it for now.

"Anyway... it's what we know. It helped us get out of Japan, I'm sure it'll pay for more when the time comes," Manaka said, addressing the freelance ghost and demon hunting. Looking to her phone, she noticed that there was at least some signal out where they were. It certainly was not ideal, but one bar out of five was better than no bars out of five. It just meant that they were not so far away from the town that they did not benefit from whatever commodities that they offered in this regard.

"I suppose I'll follow you," Manaka said with a shrug. It was not as if she and Shou could have easily returned to the town without a slew of questions, potential paperwork, and troublesome affairs all around. She grimaced at the thought before putting her phone away. "At least until we get somewhere away from here. Though...."

Manaka looked around and to the plants that Kiran had been gathering.

"... If that means assisting with... this... endeavour, I suppose I'll do so. As way of thanks," Manaka concluded. While the notion of more money was nice for whatever was gathered, she had little practise in the way of contacting other herbalists, alchemists, or enthusiasts of any kind where selling the plant would benefit her without the right methods of preservation and contact.

"Yes, well..." Shou piped up, a frown creasing on his lips for once as his arms defiantly folded over his chest. "You can count me out. Fighting your quarry is one thing, getting my hands filthy by digging around in the dirt is another. I'll happily keep my distance, thank you."

“Yeah thats fine by me.” in regards to being followed “Though I haven’t seen many landmarks or noticeable things on my way out her-Ah!” he crouched down to pick up another plant then stood up again. “I mean you don’t have to, it’s totally up to you guys.” Manaka seemed up for picking plants but the demon had other plans. “All I know is these sell for a lot but thats because they are powerful when mixed with others to make medicine.” he casually explained while walking and staring at the floor.

“Although….finding these plants means nothing if we can’t find a way out of this forest…” he had a point there. “I didn’t exactly plan or pack for more than a days hiking…” no tent or camping gear, just some water, food and an empty bag for picking plants.

You are on: Forums » Fantasy Roleplay » The Wailing of the Mist (Closed)

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus