Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » Burnout?

Weasel334

Does anyone here ever suffer from burnout?

It seems like lately, at least to me, that things will go well at first, then all of a sudden, people just disappear/ghost without saying anything, and when you try to reach out, no answer. I feel like when I try to post on forums about ideas/discussing plots/etc., it just doesnt seem like its getting any attention, especially when I try, and when I do... Well, rinse and repeat.

I feel like giving up, but I'm trying to hold out
It's really easy to get burnt out babe. I understand about ghosting/mofos just leaving. Making you think it's you. It's not. People now a days are rude shits. Point blank. It's sad. But don't let it get you down. Keep hanging on babe. 😘
Weasel334 Topic Starter

missbinky219 wrote:
It's really easy to get burnt out babe. I understand about ghosting/mofos just leaving. Making you think it's you. It's not. People now a days are rude shits. Point blank. It's sad. But don't let it get you down. Keep hanging on babe. 😘

I appreciate the vote of confidence. I mean, I understand that sometimes people aren't compatible for roleplay settings and such, but it still shouldnt stop people from trying to work out until they find common ground, and if not, they could still be talking friends at the very least. It just sucks knowing that you'd put all this effort into a roleplay/idea/starter/etc, and it just gets ignored or tossed aside.
I should have started with how sorry I am. I hate it too. Most people want what they want, when they want it. Rarely do you get someone that desires to create with you and with just as much enthusiasm as you display. I'm sorry people are stuck in their own sauces and your story/ideas/starter got ignored. I really am. Do you mind hugs? (πŸ‘₯πŸ’™) if so and I've overstepped my bounds let me know. I'm just offering up some empathy freshly b
I should have started with how sorry I was, that your ideas/ story's/starter got ignored.. I'm sorry people are stuck up in their own sauces, no regard for others. Rarely do you find someone that has just as much enthusiasm as you display. That's my wish for you my friend. Do you mind hugs? (πŸ‘₯πŸ’™) I'm just surviving up some empathy freshly poured and hot. β˜•
Weasel334 Topic Starter

missbinky219 wrote:
I should have started with how sorry I was, that your ideas/ story's/starter got ignored.. I'm sorry people are stuck up in their own sauces, no regard for others. Rarely do you find someone that has just as much enthusiasm as you display. That's my wish for you my friend. Do you mind hugs? (πŸ‘₯πŸ’™) I'm just surviving up some empathy freshly poured and hot. β˜•

I appreciate everything :) I've thought about quitting and leaving, but I've roleplayed for so long, and it's my creative outlet. Now, it just seems like it's been getting less and less responsive from others, and I could feel myself slowly losing interest. Especially with most recent IRL events.
I am so sorry you feel this way. I know how it feels to feel you are being forgotten and left out. It happens to me IRL, but I am sure there are people/rp partners who will always be here for you. I would like to consider myself one of those such people. I hope things get better for you.
Suppose my experience with burnout is very different.
Burnout to me is being swamped, doing too much, and draining myself from the energy to complete the original or other tasks.
I burnout from work often (it's bad, projects too intense, I dream about them, lose sleep, no energy to do anything else, my mind can't move on to anything else, but also unable to focus on the task at hand)
Occasionally, I get creative burnout, where I try to do too many projects - and end up producing nothing, or my output was simply poor quality.

Not getting a response here - happens often, our creative ideas aren't always going to align with others, if you just scroll through the RP Discussion Forum and Small Talk - there are multiple threads of people experiencing the same thing, you're definitely not alone.
In my experience, finding a compatible RP partner is a lot like finding a RL partner (romantic, platonic, work, or otherwise) - there's a lot of luck and compromising involved.

What it reads to me though, is that you have a lot of creative energy to spend, and haven't been able to find people to spend it with.
Which really really sucks, but also, you can still spend that energy?
You don't need anyone to write with to write, you don't need anyone to world build with to build awesome worlds, etc. etc.
I know the value of doing all these with others.. it really sucks when we don't have that, but we can only control our own behaviour.

And if the burnout is due to the missing social factor, then perhaps that can also be fulfilled through another avenue as well.
I don't know what's happening for you IRL, so I can't comment on that, obviously.

But what we get out of RP (creative output, social/community, skills building, etc.), when we're not getting it out of RP, may be split up into multiple needs that we can find fulfillment through other channels.
You gotta do whatever it takes to keep yourself well!

And if none of this helps, at the very least know you're not alone - Being ghosted feels bad man.
I'm an avid ghoster and dropper of Rp's, personally. Normally if I feel like my RP partner is getting too personal with me and knows too much about me, I scramble to the hills and hide. Nothing says 'Get... BACK!' better than never speaking to them ever again.

I'm kidding, of course.

I hate getting ghosted, which is why I've learned the skills necessary to stalk absolutely anyone. If you leave me... I will find you... I'll find your friends, your family, everyone you've ever cared about... You will remember me........ You will respond to me.

I'm kidding again.

But seriously, try not to let it get to you. It's not worth your mental health. There are always going to be people who ghost you, it's not going to change. So adapt to it instead of letting it crush you. That's my best advice.
Weasel334 wrote:
Does anyone here ever suffer from burnout?

It seems like lately, at least to me, that things will go well at first, then all of a sudden, people just disappear/ghost without saying anything, and when you try to reach out, no answer. I feel like when I try to post on forums about ideas/discussing plots/etc., it just doesnt seem like its getting any attention, especially when I try, and when I do... Well, rinse and repeat.

I feel like giving up, but I'm trying to hold out

Yeah, I hate writers block. And I'm sorry this has happened you. Its never fun.

We sadly live in a day and age where more and more people are unable to communicate when potential problems arise, but would rather stick their head in the sand and not say anything at all. There are a ton of variables to consider, but one thing is becoming more and more clear: A lot of people hate confrontation and so rather than confront, they hide without saying a word. What these people don't realize is that by doing that, the problem is just going to get worse, not better. Because it then leaves creative people like you wondering what you did wrong. Then burnout happens and a once fun hobby becomes too stressful.

All of the above is why I cannot stress simple communication enough with my Role-Playing partners. If problems pops up, or if they aren't feeling the RP anymore, I want to know. Sooooooo many problems can be resolved if the simple act of communication was made. I don't like confrontation anymore than the next person. But in my experience, no communication causes more drama, more hurt and more problems than it does to solve them. And sadly, too many people are lacking the ability to do one simple thing: Communicate. Forgiveness is another one, but that's a different topic.

I know it hurts, I've been there too many times myself. But look at it this way: Its their loss, not yours. You tried, they didn't. Keep trying and someday you'll get that super awesome Role-Player that will stick to you like glue. I know I have and such people are always worth waiting for.

But if you need time away in order to recharge you're creative juices, then do it. But, please, come back. Don't let these people who are afraid of confrontation beat you into quitting something you enjoy. Otherwise, they win.
I have to 100% agree with silentruth when she said 'finding a compatible RP partner is a lot like finding a RL partner (romantic, platonic, work, or otherwise) - there's a lot of luck and compromising involved.'

I find the reason why burn out happens isn't because the writing talent or the story is lacking for anything but, unfortunately, muses wear out over time, and they need the chance to rest and renew themselves. Especially, if you have been writing the same story for months and then a wall is hit; inspiration takes a vacation.

It is unfortunate that people are not more comfortable with reaching out to say, "I am really not feeling this story right now. Can we possibly start a new story with new characters and come back to this one when the inspiration returns?"

It might even be the 'grass is greener in someone else's pasture' thing. They lose their hold on the story and don't want to work to get it back, they just move on to the next thing, and probably do the same thing to them.

Don't give up. Keep holding out. Your kindred spirit is out there.
I get burnout pretty often, especially if life is busy and work is stressful. Sometimes I just have to step away for a week or two, sometimes longer, until the creative juices start flowing again. It’s nothing personal, I feel awful leaving my RP partners hanging. But RP has always been an β€œescape” for me and I don’t ever want it to feel like an obligation.

That being said, ghosting is shitty. I always let people know if I’m not feeling RP or need to hit the pause button. I’m sorry to hear your frustration but I do understand it.

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » Burnout?

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus