Skip to main content

Forums » Epic Week 2022 » Scholarly Symbol (SOLVED)

Please log in to participate in Epic Week challenges.

Kim Site Admin

This topic is for discussing clues and potential answers to the Scholarly Symbol in Epic Week 2022. Please stay on topic. Remember, these riddles are designed to be challenging and require a group of people brainstorming together; don't feel intimidated if you don't know the answer right away. Every little idea can help. Research is not cheating; it is expected!

Click here to visit the location of the Scholarly Symbol
Just submitted a Bug Report but this new symbol seems to be missing the qualifier for the second clue!
Oh that's right!
Thank you a lot ^_^

Also I just guessed it could have something to do with Harry Potter (scholar and witch kitty)
and maybe a spell in that case.
For example apparition which is a better way to travel than the fire place thing, but it's also more dangerous.
= better than the alternative but not everyone survives
Kim Topic Starter Site Admin

Who do we know that has a birthday on the eighth? :D
Kim wrote:

My wife, who just unlocked it. : D

Kamizombie wrote:
Kim wrote:

My wife, who just unlocked it. : D

Absolutely fabulous! :D
I suspect that this is about the scholomance. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scholomance

The alternative being that people take their chances with the two mawmouths Temperance and Fortitude?

We've gotta have someone with a birthday on the fourth! Where are you, friend?
Cass Moderator

Kim wrote:

Boop.

Cass wrote:
Kim wrote:

Boop.

Thank you kindly <3 <3 <3
So your saying the 4th of july right?
I mean, That's my answer.
I have tried:
sirenspider lute
sirenspider leg
lute
spell song
Aahdya's lute
mana
mana crystal
phase-matter spell
matter phase spell
Tar

Hm, this is an interesting one - it feels like it could be referring to a number of books with magical settings (assuming a book based on the symbol). I'd say we're looking for whatever is central to a warding spell that probably only saved a select few, possibly something abstract if not a physical reagent - the wording of that clue suggests that we're looking for stories with more than just humans in regards to sentient peoples, too.

While this feels like a specific enough scenario to hunt down, none of these clues or the symbol seem specific - could be wrong however, is the shape of the book familiar to anyone?

Bonus clue has been added
Mina Moderator

Sometimes a wizard in DND is symboled by a book. I'm not sure if that's of any help, but in many different kinds of games tt or not a book will represent a caster who gained their magics through study.
Tar

Uuh, man none of these clues mean anything to me without an idea of where we need to be looking. I can't really figure out how we're to deduce that unless the book is somehow a clue beyond literature - otherwise 'magical series with warding spells' is pretty broad. I'd have to go deep diving, 'cause none of these clues seem to line up with anything I've personally read.

A singular attachment point to the real world...

I suppose this series might also have elements of world/realm/dimensional traveling...? I have no idea what to make of that.

Gosh, I really don't know where to begin with this one! I think the only reason I'd set aside DnD is the symbol would have likely been a die, my gut instinct tells me this is a book but...
Oops, wrong link: This is the scholomance I think it refers to: https://naominovik.fandom.com/wiki/The_Scholomance

This is the right path! THIS IS THE WAY
The clues track as follows:
The book is referring to a spellbook.

1. Better than the alternative, but not everyone survives.
This refers to the fact that the scholomance is better than no safe refuge where nearly nobody would survive, the malificarum would hunt down and eat all but the most well protected children.

2. A nicety no human quite believed.
Not quite sure what this is talking about.

3. Central to a warding spell.
There are many wards referenced in the book but with the bonus clue, it points to the *spoilers* final scenes where a song and sirenspider legged lute are played to shield the children in their escape.

Bonus clue: In the one attachment point to the real world
This refers to the doors to the graduation hall. I cant remember, is there symbology on the door?

NO ITS THE WORDS OF THE SCHOOL! They're written on the DOOR!
TO OFFER SANCTUARY AND PROTECTION TO ALL THE WISE-GIFTED CHILDREN OF THE WORLD.

You are on: Forums » Epic Week 2022 » Scholarly Symbol (SOLVED)

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus