Skip to main content

Forums » Epic Week 2022 » Heavenly Symbol (SOLVED)

Please log in to participate in Epic Week challenges.

Kim Site Admin

This topic is for discussing clues and potential answers to the Heavenly Symbol in Epic Week 2022. Please stay on topic. Remember, these riddles are designed to be challenging and require a group of people brainstorming together; don't feel intimidated if you don't know the answer right away. Every little idea can help. Research is not cheating; it is expected!

Click here to visit the location of the Heavenly Symbol
giphy.gif
Bookkeeper wrote:
giphy.gif

IM SO EXCITED FOR THE NEXT CLUE ON THIS ONE, I LOVE SPACE >:D
Kim Topic Starter Site Admin

GlassJungle wrote:
Bookkeeper wrote:
giphy.gif

IM SO EXCITED FOR THE NEXT CLUE ON THIS ONE, I LOVE SPACE >:D
Oh, it's me, I unlocked it!

Congrats on solving this symbol! The answer was "Earendel".

For those of you wondering how this answer could be arrived at, here's a quick explanation. :)

This was such an exciting news story I knew immediately that I was going to have to wedge it into Epic Week. In March 2022, a team of researchers led by Brian Welch, an astrophysicist at Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore, announced that Hubble had spotted the most distant star ever before seen: 12.9 billion light years away. This was an accident, they weren't looking for old stars; they were looking for other galaxies entirely.

Welch named the star Earendel, which is a character from JRR Tolkien's The Silmarillion. But Earendel also means "morning star" or "the dawn" in old English.

It is so far away that only a fluke of gravitational lensing made it possible for us to spot it, on top of the fact that this star was AT LEAST 50 times the size of our own sun, but possibly more than 100 times the size of our own sun. Although it probably wasn't one of the very first generation of stars to form, it's still thought to be one of the oldest stars, formed when the universe was extremely young. In fact, the star is also long since dead! We're just seeing light that is finally arriving. It may give us insights into how the whole universe evolved, and what has changed from then to now.

I WAS TAKING A NAP, WHO SOLVED IT? :D
Kim wrote:
I WAS TAKING A NAP, WHO SOLVED IT? :D

i littarly just woke up , that was solved very QUICK
Tar

dm3J2cD.gif

( I did get 'an error occurred' last night instead of a confirmation message when I hit enter - so it's possible someone else solved it at the same time - but I think it was me! )

Tar wrote:
dm3J2cD.gif

( I did get 'an error occurred' last night instead of a confirmation message when I hit enter - so it's possible someone else solved it at the same time - but I think it was me! )

Can confirm it was you, and found the issue in the error log and fixed it so it won't do that to anyone else :)

You are on: Forums » Epic Week 2022 » Heavenly Symbol (SOLVED)

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus