Skip to main content

Forums » RP Discussion » Group RPs for adults who don't care for grimdark?

To put it bluntly, I'm not comfortable RPing with minors anymore, but most "adults only" RPs seem to be for 1x1 pairings and... stuff I really don't want to roleplay. When I searched for groups, the only one I could see my character fitting into says it's for all ages, even though I ticked adults only. Only like 4 options even came up.

Am I limiting myself too much? I noticed most adult groups lean heavily towards violence, combat, and grimdark themes, but I just don't see myself enjoying that. I'm starting to think I'll have to rewrite my character's profile to be for all ages.

I'm at a bit of a loss...
SleepDealer wrote:
To put it bluntly, I'm not comfortable RPing with minors anymore, but most "adults only" RPs seem to be for 1x1 pairings and... stuff I really don't want to roleplay. When I searched for groups, the only one I could see my character fitting into says it's for all ages, even though I ticked adults only. Only like 4 options even came up.

Am I limiting myself too much? I noticed most adult groups lean heavily towards violence, combat, and grimdark themes, but I just don't see myself enjoying that. I'm starting to think I'll have to rewrite my character's profile to be for all ages.

I'm at a bit of a loss...

I wouldn’t say you are limiting yourself too much necessarily. I, too, am not very comfortable RPing with minors. But I do enjoy combat and dark themes. What exactly are you looking to RP? You could put out a “looking for” ad, if you haven’t already.
A looking-for ad would be nice, since this really only mentions what you don't want, so it's hard to say. What's your character, what's the difference between 'grimdark' and 'dark' (an "I love..." on your profile)? It'll help find groups you may fit.
SleepDealer Topic Starter

I wasn't looking for anything specific, genuinely just adults only fantasy groups without a focus on violence/combat to see what's out there, but there weren't many results so that's why I'm confused.

I wouldn't want to narrow my search anymore than I already have, because there was almost nothing in the first place. Do more results come up if you don't use the sliders?
ahhh do you mean, like, mechanical elements of ttrpg violence / combat instead of the introspective 'realism' (grimdark) in written / freeform combat?

because i think there was or is a search option called 'uses dice' or 'dice rolls' or something that separates combat-as-a-mechanic from violence-as-a-literary-theme

i entreat you to make a group, either way! i couldn't find an active scifi group that wasn't very strict about lore so i made one for myself and others 21+ and used it as an lfrp jumping-off point and got results IMMEDIATELY haha
So I've only been on this site since Sept.
But when I first joined, I did not really see any RP ads that matched what I was looking for, for several weeks. I answered a few and tried some stuff I usually wouldn't. Some stuck (AND THEY'RE AWESOME), others didn't. I just kept checking back. And then they came in waves - exactly what I was looking for.
Including adult only, non-grimdark group RPs.
So I'd say, just keep checking back. Sometimes it's just timing. OR - create the group! Because there are definitely others looking for what you want, and maybe they're just committed to other RPs for now, but they always loop back around.
My group has been in the process of a refit for uh... About 4 months longer than I wanted it to be. Whoops! Anyway, one of the major changes I wanted to do with it was make it adults only because the older I get, the less comfortable I am RPing with minors as well.

Nothing against kids at all, and I am comfortable moderating or curating large spaces that can accommodate kids, but when I need and want to be a more directly involved participant in an activity then it just gets a bit weird...

Anyway, I basically work on this group during the weeks my health permits and sleep on it during the weeks when I can't. If anyone wants to take a look at it, the core ideas behind it will not change, it just might end up getting a Discord or something, which may or may not be more active depending on where all the users end up going, heh.

I hope nobody minds this very shameless plug... >_>

You are on: Forums » RP Discussion » Group RPs for adults who don't care for grimdark?

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus