Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » anyone else like Dark Souls?

SunbroTheAbysswalker

so... the hyperfixation beast has kicked in again, and this time it's none other than Dark Souls! i NEED to know, does anyone else here like Dark Souls? also i've only played the first one so far, and i'm replaying it before i play any of the other games!
I love Dark Souls. So much. I like Bloodborne and Demon's Souls more, though.

Who's your favorite boss? In Dark Souls 1, I'd say I like Ornstein and Smough best, or maybe Gwyn. I wish Gwyn had taken longer, he's really easy to parry. ToT

What kind of builds do you like? I usually play strength and/or magic builds, but I'm recently getting into dex in Bloodborne and it's pretty easy.
SunbroTheAbysswalker Topic Starter

ogle wrote:
I love Dark Souls. So much. I like Bloodborne and Demon's Souls more, though.

Who's your favorite boss? In Dark Souls 1, I'd say I like Ornstein and Smough best, or maybe Gwyn. I wish Gwyn had taken longer, he's really easy to parry. ToT

What kind of builds do you like? I usually play strength and/or magic builds, but I'm recently getting into dex in Bloodborne and it's pretty easy.

i'd probably say Knight Artorias, but not including the DLC probably the Gaping Dragon. as for why the Gaping Dragon specifically, i really like dragons and its design is really cool!

i've personally always played strength builds but i do level dexterity sometimes so i can wield stronger weapons! my current playthrough i'm using the black knight sword because i don't have enough strength or dexterity to use the black knight greatsword. yes i have both, i have no idea how, just luck i guess?
I've played a LOT of the third game, it's one of my favorites. Honestly I should work backwards and play the rest because the other ones seem just as good.
DanganronpaFan wrote:
my current playthrough i'm using the black knight sword because i don't have enough strength or dexterity to use the black knight greatsword. yes i have both, i have no idea how, just luck i guess?
I love the black knight weapons. It always pains me how rare the glaive is in the first game. XD

Sohrryu wrote:
Honestly I should work backwards and play the rest because the other ones seem just as good.
Do it...it's so worth it.
So I've heard lmao. And also Dex builds are based--
Honestly no, I played it for like 5 minutes before finding it way too hard. I honestly don't see the appeal of creating a game where all the player wants to do is rage quit after throwing their controller against wall.

I did, however, play Elden Ring because the Devs placed mechanics in there to make the game a little easier and manageable. But it was still a bit too hard.
Skill issue
-Knight- wrote:
Honestly no, I played it for like 5 minutes before finding it way too hard. I honestly don't see the appeal of creating a game where all the player wants to do is rage quit after throwing their controlling against wall.

I did, however, play Elden Ring because the Devs placed mechanics in there to make the game a little easier and manageable. But it was still a bit too hard.

Knight, if it helps grant any insight, the devs on Souls games have generally been quoted as saying they make games that they'd personally want to play. Souls games are mostly about patience and perseverance, I would say. It's not for everybody, for sure, but I find it pretty relaxing when I'm in the right headspace. :) At the end of the day, dying in the game doesn't really mean a lot--souls are easy to get back--and "lost progress" is just an opportunity for more practice. For me, it feels really rewarding to be stuck on something for a few hours or days or however long, and then finally manage to beat it.

(Also, you're not supposed to kill every enemy! This is information that helped me a lot. Lol.)
SunbroTheAbysswalker Topic Starter

-Knight- wrote:
Honestly no, I played it for like 5 minutes before finding it way too hard. I honestly don't see the appeal of creating a game where all the player wants to do is rage quit after throwing their controller against wall.

while some boss fights are quite difficult, the area the boss is in is usually harder than the boss fight itself! with some exceptions (*cough cough* anor londo), and that's just some. also, you can totally run past slower enemies! and if you were stuck on the tutorial, a bit of a spoiler here, the first time you encounter the asylum demon isn't supposed to be the last!

on a separate note, i am currently stuck on the stupid ornstein and smough fight. i forgot how difficult they are! plus i have no humanity and i'm NOT in the mood to farm soft humanity, so... only 5 heals for me! i also usually kill smough first because... THE DRAGONSLAYER SPEAR!!!
I'm very new to Soulsborne games... But I'm glad I'm finally here!

After the universe tried everything it could to stop me from getting the game (it's $80 in Canada, was the only game on my Steam wishlist that DIDN'T go on sale during the Autumn Sale, and even when it went on sale around Christmas I still managed to be a couple cents short), I was finally able to get my grubby hands on Elden Ring!
(All thanks to a couple special folks in particular; if any of you are reading this I CAN'T THANK YOU ENOUGH-)

I went in almost blind (with a tutorial and some guidance from friends, so I could get ideas on what to do), and I'm loving it thus far! Currently going for a Faith-based build (because Incantations are SO COOL), and as to be expected from a game like this, I've been dying. A lot. XD

I won't let the difficulty discourage me! I've been having fun regardless and I hope to keep it that way!!

UPDATE FROM THE FUTURE: Just beat the game a few minutes ago. HOLY CRAP, that was a rollercoaster. Albeit, a really fun one! Definitely gonna check out the rest of the Soulsborne games now! :D
SunbroTheAbysswalker wrote:
so... the hyperfixation beast has kicked in again, and this time it's none other than Dark Souls! i NEED to know, does anyone else here like Dark Souls? also i've only played the first one so far, and i'm replaying it before i play any of the other games!

I've been following FromSoftware under Miyazaki's direction since Demon's Souls. So yes, played Dark Souls 1-3. Love the series.

Played Bloodborne, Sekiro, and Elden Ring as well. Honestly, I prefer Bloodborne out of all of the Soulsborne games.

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » anyone else like Dark Souls?

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus