Skip to main content

Forums » Epic Week 2023 » Walrus Game Guide

Kim Site Admin

walrusarmy.jpg

Welcome to the walrus game! Moa has trained and equipped thousands of walruses for battle, but they need leadership to know what to do with their new skills and gear. When you enter the game for the first time, Moa will appear and assign you your company of 100 walruses.

You will start in Base Camp, which is located at 48,5 and has a tent icon.

basecamp.PNG

Moving Around
You can get started in this game very easily. Just double-tap any hex to plan a route there.

orderspanel.PNG

Note that you will get an ETA for travel time to that location when making your plan, and you can influence it slightly by choosing what your walruses prioritize on their trip. Speed is the fastest, but you'll get the least random events (which might lead you to find items!). Foraging is the slowest, but you'll have a higher chance of random events and finding items.

If you want your walruses to keep repeating the same route back and forth, mark "Repeat on loop"

If you're happy with the plan, click "Give Orders"

Your walruses will not move instantly - it can take minutes for walruses to switch hexes, as each hex represents miles of territory. Different types of territory take different amounts of time to cover, with ocean being the very fastest and mountains taking the longest. Note that base camp is built in the middle of some hill hexes, so leaving and entering camp can be slower than some other parts of your trip.

If your Current Activity section shows something other than "waiting for orders" your walruses have received their orders and are Working On It.

currentactivity.PNG

Do I Need to Be There?
The game keeps running whether you have it open or not, so you do not need to stare at your walruses for however many hours it takes them to complete their orders. You can assign them a looping route and then just check back in on them now and again if you like. Spend the rest of your time fighting lizards, working on solving riddles, entering contests and other ways to enjoy Epic Week. :)

Let them sweet blubber bois do the hard work for you.

Getting Items
Random finds
Each time your walrsuses switch hexes, they have a chance for something to happen in the new hex. This might be combat if the area is infested with invasive lizards, but it can be other kinds of random events, too. Occasionally, this may be a random item. What items you can find is influenced by the type of terrain you moved into.

Harvest points
The fastest and most reliable way of getting items is by going to a harvest point. I'll leave it the community to build a full list of them and what can be found there in the posts below, but they tend to look like these sorts of things on the map:

flag.PNG waves.PNG mine.PNG

Walruses on a hex containing a harvest point will gradually fill up their inventory with the item(s) that can be found there. Some resources are faster to extract than others (for example: mining is hard work, and takes longer than gathering flower petals!)

Take them back to base camp
When your walrus company arrives back in camp, everything that is in their inventory will be transferred to your inventory. You can then use the items for crafting, donate them to the armory, or throw them into collection symbols on the prisms.

Looping between base and harvest points
If you set up a loop that starts/ends on base camp, and starts/ends on a harvest point, your walruses will travel to the harvest point and stay there until their inventory has no more room in it. They will then travel back to base camp and stay there until they heal back to 100% health. They will then repeat until they reach 0% health or until you give them new orders, potentially giving you frequent new item infusions into your inventory throughout the event.

Equipping Your Walruses
How your walruses perform on the maneuvers you assign them will be influenced by how you equip them. You can re-equip them while they are in base camp.

reequip.PNG

You can see what different mixes of kit will do to your speed, combat bonus and carry capacity before deciding.

companypanel.PNG

Low Health = slower travel. Heal up in base camp!
Injured walruses have a harder time moving around.

There are random events that can happen that restore small quantitites of health, but the best and fastest way to heal your company is to send them back to base camp where they can be seen in the veterinary hospital tent.

Keep Them Moving!
Remember: Your wallies will take a nap if they have no orders. If you want them to keep attacking a specific hex once they arrive, make them loop back and forth over two hexes so they don't just form a heap and snore. ;)
On my way to 31, 7! My first harvest point. We'll see what I find there! ^_^

Edit: it was sand! Lol. I thought it would be a mining symbol for that sort of thing, but I guess a flag makes sense for the beach.
My walrus company is currently campes around 50,16 flagpole.
I'm clearing that area (when I have time)

g54vbn4.png

EDIT: I'm going to move them back to basecamp to unload wagons. I'll send them out again tomorrow
Oh, are all the maps supposed to look like that? Mine definitely doesn't look like that. LOL. I'm on mobile though. Maybe it's a mobile thing. πŸ‘€
Kim Topic Starter Site Admin

This is the map everyone is working off of. What does yours look like?
Ilmarinen Moderator

Kim wrote:

Mine on Android is all black! I thought it just wasn't meant to have full mobile support. It seems to work, barring that. And you can see the way point markers!
Kim Topic Starter Site Admin

Ilmarinen wrote:
Kim wrote:

Mine on Android is all black! I thought it just wasn't meant to have full mobile support. It seems to work, barring that. And you can see the way point markers!

Well, darn! I actually put a fair bit of effort into trying to make sure it was fully mobile supported. Lemme see what I can figure out :)
Kim wrote:
I'll post a screenshot in a few, but it's black hexes with a few red ones for enemy concentration, and white flags and base camp, and some other symbols I haven't looked at closely. I can zoom in and out and I can check my journal and stuff fine.

Ah, there was an issue with the introduction from Moa. Some of the words were being cut off. But I could read it fine, so I forgot to bug report it. ,,,:) I'll do that too XD

Edit to note I am also on android
Dragonfire Moderator

As for resources found:

The Sand Quarry at (31,7) and probably also at (76,8) has sand for making bottles.
The Reef at (21,6) had fishes of both red and blue colours! You also find fish pretty regularly just moving through the ocean.
The Flowering Field at (50,16) had both honeycomb and hibiscus petals.
Patrolling through the ruins at (59,15) to (60,16) after they'd been cleared of monsters, I found a Flintlock Pistol.
The Spiny Thicket at (26,23) was full of thorns. :P

Seems like there's a number of other interesting locations - a sunken ship, various mines, an 'ultra-scenic' beach, an ancient copse, a teeming swamp. lots more ruins.
-~-Guide to varied Item-Obtaining Locations (will update as I move along)-~-

Sand Quarry, Beach - yields Sand. May yield rocks or something else, but I stayed for quite some time and obtained 3 scoops of sand, so that's what I'll put for now

Wildflowers - I have been told by a trustworthy source for such things that these yield both Honeycomb and Flower products. This has been proven correct! Lots of petals and honeycomb from here too.

Flowering - I'm on my way to them now. We'll see what they produce! My walruses have been procuring a little slowly but surely, so this will update in approximately one hour. :)
Updated! Flowering Fields produced Honeycomb and Hibiscus Petals by turns. :)
Updated again! Apparently the switching ratio of the honeycomb and the petal drops was a coincidence. Further gathering yielded random drops of either.

Ultra-Scenic Beach - Party Hat of Healing, sand, and hibiscus petals!

Blue Mines - Lapis Lazuli and mining picks.

Deep Mines - More Lapis Lazuli and mining picks, and even some pet rocks!

Copse - I found a lot of Bark, and a Seedpod either while there or on the way there. Will need to check back in my journal records.

πŸ–οΈβ›±οΈπŸŒ»πŸ―πŸŒΊπŸŒΈπŸŒΌπŸ’

🌲 🌴 🌲 🌴 🌲 🌳 🌴🌳 🌳 🌱 🌸 πŸ’ ⛰️ πŸ’Ž ⛰️ πŸ’Ž ⛰️ πŸ’Ž

☺️πŸ₯³πŸœοΈπŸŸπŸŽπŸŽ£πŸ¦ˆπŸ¦¦πŸ‘β›΅ 🚒 β›΅πŸš£πŸš£β€β™€οΈπŸš£β€β™‚οΈ

I also found a thorn and several fish while traveling the Eastern and Western sides of the map, respectively. :) Those Western river currents were unexpected! And what a lot of bottled messages in the water, too!
Dragonfire wrote:
As for resources found:

The Sand Quarry at (31,7) and probably also at (76,8) has sand for making bottles.
The Reef at (21,6) had fishes of both red and blue colours! You also find fish pretty regularly just moving through the ocean.
The Flowering Field at (50,16) had both honeycomb and hibiscus petals.
Patrolling through the ruins at (59,15) to (60,16) after they'd been cleared of monsters, I found a Flintlock Pistol.
The Spiny Thicket at (26,23) was full of thorns. :P

Seems like there's a number of other interesting locations - a sunken ship, various mines, an 'ultra-scenic' beach, an ancient copse, a teeming swamp. lots more ruins.

Ooh, how comprehensive!!

Would love to see that beach, maybe I'll find... Walrus flip flops... πŸ˜‚ Just kidding
Ilmarinen Moderator

When the Blubber Boyz get back to camp and rest up, I'll have them venture out into some of the water locations to get fish!
I've been working off Android and the map is black as well, and only by reading this thread did I realise that was a glitch πŸ˜‚ The game works perfectly still though!
Just listing some spots I've noticed.
  • (3,10) Sunken Ship
  • (21, 6) Reef
  • (31, 7) Sand Quarry
  • (26, 23) Spiny Thicket
  • (9, 28), (9-10,29) Ruins
  • (9,36) Ultra-scenic Beach
  • (28, 41) Ancient Copse
  • (3,47) Algae Bloom
  • (34, 47), (35, 46) Ruins
  • (46, 45) Teeming Swamp
  • (57, 36) Dense Undergrowth
  • (39, 31) Wildflower Bloom
  • (41-43, 35), (42, 36) Ruins
  • (75, 34) Deep Mines
  • (85, 20) Kelp Forest
  • (74, 21) Blue Mines
  • (76, 8) Sand Quarry (in a desert)
  • (50, 16) Flowering Field
  • (59, 15), (60, 16) Ruins
  • (69, 1) Reef

Also, the rivers in through jungle land are noted to indeed be rivers (but it doesn't appear to be favored over the surrounding jungle), and the southern delta is swampland. Mountains, cliffs, and steep cliffs are differentiated. River across "normal" land is still just "normal," but lakes are distinctly labeled.

And in case you wanted the coordinates of the camp and prisms:
  • (48, 5) Base Camp
  • (42, 2) Pyramid Prism
  • (55, 1) Triangular Prism
  • (49, 7) Heptagonal Prism
Dragonfire Moderator

The algae bloom over at 3,47 was full of pufferfish! I picked up eight of them there and only one other fish.
(28, 41) Ancient Copse

* Bark to be found!
Around 20-40% enemy activity around 42, 18 and 42, 19 as well as 41, 18 and 41, 19! Lots of red hexes so, be careful!
Dense Undergrowth (57,36) has seed pods, bark, petals, and thorns. I'm currently on my return trip and am combat-focused, so the path from camp to Dense Undergrowth isn't overly dangerous. Cleared a lot my first time through with the worst spot left at 19%, and hopefully there will be little if anything after my return trip.

I haven't cleared outside the narrow path, though, tracing from Dense Undergrowth to camp is likely to take at least a slightly different route.
Dragonfire Moderator

The Ancient Copse at 28,41 had a ton of bark, and also some honeycomb!

Unfortunately, the Teeming Swamp at 46,45 and the hexes right around it are literally teeming with lizards; the swamp flag was 100% threat-y and I was not equipped to deal with that. XD
Teeming Swamp itself is clear and I'm trying to reduce the surrounding area threat. It is also packed with seed pods and at least some hibiscus.

EDIT:

So, here's the general state it was in when I left it.
image.png

And also just gonna toss this in:
image.png

You are on: Forums » Epic Week 2023 » Walrus Game Guide

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus