Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » Alternative to discord for images?

Hello!

So I'm in a bit of a pinch. I've been using Discord to send images to myself in a private server and then use the link to post pictures in dm's here on the site since the discord links usally produce an image link that ends in .png/.jpg. Now that Discord has changed their way of operating, I no longer can use discord since the link is a wordsalad and doesn't end in .png/.jpg anymore.

I'm wondering what I can use instead? I know there are things like google drive, dropbox etc but they don't have a lot of space (especially considering the size of roster-images) so I feel like it would get full very quickly, and imgur as I understand it is public so other people can find all my images? Let me know if I am wrong about that.

Very happy and thankful for any advice! 🥹🥲
I found a way to still be able to use discord images on-site! I pared the url down up to the point where is says .png/.jpg at the end and that's been working for me.
Min-ya Topic Starter

Seven_of_Beasts wrote:
I found a way to still be able to use discord images on-site! I pared the url down up to the point where is says .png/.jpg at the end and that's been working for me.

I've done that too, but today it no longer worked 😔
example:
9590ca2b3be45117d24e0c68f9d66b08.png
You can set imgur images to private actually. I've used it since 2010 at least and other people will only see your images if you set them to public.
Min-ya Topic Starter

Aardbei wrote:
You can set imgur images to private actually. I've used it since 2010 at least and other people will only see your images if you set them to public.

Oh, can you do this even without an account? I was going to make an account but got a little uncomfortable when they demanded my phone number ^^;
Min-ya wrote:
Aardbei wrote:

Oh, can you do this even without an account? I was going to make an account but got a little uncomfortable when they demanded my phone number ^^;

Yo! Can confirm, you can do it without an account!

I don't have an account on Imgur and I upload images on it all the time. Nice little bonus is that by doing it without an account, your images are automatically set to private. (You can only make them public with an account.) :D
Min-ya Topic Starter

GingerHades wrote:
Min-ya wrote:
Aardbei wrote:

Yo! Can confirm, you can do it without an account!

I don't have an account on Imgur and I upload images on it all the time. Nice little bonus is that by doing it without an account, your images are automatically set to private. (You can only make them public with an account.) :D

Thank you for letting me know! That's very neat, my only wonder then is how to remove the images should I ever want to. But I guess you can backtrack the image link back to imgur and request it be taken down? ^_^
Min-ya wrote:
Aardbei wrote:

They... do?
I think you can still upload without an account but unless you save the image links, it's harder to find them again.

I don't recall them requiring phone numbers but my account is very old...
Min-ya Topic Starter

Mm unfortunately :/
De9KHyM.png
IrMP6VS.png

Yeah it's such a bummer that it'll be harder to keep track of the images, it was so easy and handy with discord. Very unfortunate!
I use imgbb.com
You can use it with or without an account.

I personally prefer having an account though so I can freely delete, and/or keep up with old pictures. :)
I use postimages.org ! It's free and doesn't require an account, plus it's easy!
GregoryTheGremlin wrote:
I use imgbb.com
You can use it with or without an account.

I personally prefer having an account though so I can freely delete, and/or keep up with old pictures. :)

I too, also use Imgbb.com . I'm just lazy and never made an account
Min-ya wrote:
Thank you for letting me know! That's very neat, my only wonder then is how to remove the images should I ever want to. But I guess you can backtrack the image link back to imgur and request it be taken down? ^_^

I personally haven't tried, however after a quick peek, it looks like that IS an option!

Right above the top corner of the image, you should see a button with three white dots. Clicking on it gives you three options, one of them being a flag that says "Request Deletion."

Again, I haven't tried it, but I'm sure it does exactly what it says on the tin. XD
Min-ya Topic Starter

Thank you all for your recommendations and tips! I think I'll give imgbb a chance ^_^ it seems easier to have an account on there if I ever want to delete things rather than backtrack through old imgur images
Does anyone still have any better websites for uploading images rather than discord? I've tried all of the websites that were suggested on this thread and whenever I use the links, the images expire after a few hours. I need them for coding, to apply a gif/image as the header for one of my ocs. However, if I paste a link from anywhere, the link expires after a while and the character header goes blank

I'd appreciate any help that I can get. Thanks :<
Min-ya Topic Starter

NEMESIS wrote:
Does anyone still have any better websites for uploading images rather than discord? I've tried all of the websites that were suggested on this thread and whenever I use the links, the images expire after a few hours. I need them for coding, to apply a gif/image as the header for one of my ocs. However, if I paste a link from anywhere, the link expires after a while and the character header goes blank

oh really, they expire so the image disappears? Gee that sucks, then I might have to keep looking too :/
Claine Moderator

NEMESIS wrote:

Imgur shouldn't expire after a few hours. I've had images hosted there for years
Claine wrote:
NEMESIS wrote:

Imgur shouldn't expire after a few hours. I've had images hosted there for years

Unfortunately, rpr won't even let us use imgur images for character templates either. I get a message saying: ''Sorry, we are unable to save! Lately, Imgur has been taking actions to make it harder to hotlink their images, and there is a high chance that imgur links won't properly validate anymore and so may be scrubbed from your CSS. We strongly recommend hosting your custom style on the RPR instead.''
Claine Moderator

If the use of your images is a custom style, there's a tab on the Edit Style page titled "hosted media" where the can upload images directly to RPR for use in your style.
The thing is that it's a bit restrictive because I can only add 5 images there and the file sizes are 3MB. Most of my images are larger than this and scaling them down would ruin their quality tremendously. Hence why I was so adamant about urls, you know? :<

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » Alternative to discord for images?

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus