Skip to main content

Forums » Art & Creativity » Official Contest: Short Story Challenge 2024

It was a cold spring day, cherry blossoms falling around us from the oppressive wind when I first met her.
Her smile left me feeling as though each vein and artery of my body was blooming, opening up, warming me, just for her.
No warmth rose within her for me, though, and today, the cherry blossoms fall from my lips, speckled with sanguine.
My end may not be half as beautiful as she will always be, though my lungs seem to have chosen to bring forth the floral arrangements in a mockery of my pain.
rolled 1d10 and got a natural 2.
Night as well ^__^ (Edit: Ooh, defiance >:]c)

"Yield." His sword to your neck and his tone flat as steel, his eyes give nothing away as he holds you at literal bladepoint. Despite it, you could only laugh. Loud and cackling like your life isn't in some madman's hands.

You give him a grin filled with teeth as your bare palms come up to grip the blade. "Kill me, then," you say to cold cold eyes, blood beading around the space where flesh and steel kiss. "But you and I both know it'll change nothing."

"The thing about revolution, captain, is that it is not just one person."
rolled 1d10 and got a natural 4.
Rolling for entry, story upcoming.

prompt: surprise

rolled 1d10 and got a natural 3.
Oh, what the heck. I'll give it a try.
Nervous and excited, I’ve never attempted a short story. Much less with “Lesson” as the topic.

The effort of creation is exhausting. This wasn't always common knowledge to Murray, as there was a time where creativity came to him like flies on fruit. But as responsibilities grew, he found himself struggling to make new things. It took time, but eventually he realized that to create is to place pieces of himself in hundreds of little things and scatter them across his own path. Now, his creations are fewer, but they are improved and hold value, expressing Murray in deeper ways. They reflect him far clearer than the quick-fired ones that came to him without effort.

I think this is a lesson we would all do well to learn. Especially here on RPR. It's okay to need to slow down and cut down on the number of RP's. Creating things takes time and effort, and when you over-create, it becomes less enjoyable and is less you.
rolled 1d10 and got a natural 10.
Worst thing that could happen is me coming up with nothing.

Edit: wow, 100 words are an interesting challenge.

Theme: Blossom (96 words)

When the Tyrann took over, we decided to do something."Gardener, you're a week and meek person and yet you have claim you could kill me?"
"Yes my king. You oppressed the people."
"Tell me how you of all people could do it and you may stay alive as court jester!
We search you each time you enter the castle, and you brought nothing but seeds."
"But you know nothing about the flowers I raise. You're content as long as the palace's garden is colorful.
The most poisonous flowers are very colorful, my king.
You were dead as soon as you took a bite out of that almond cake."
Neither cook nor gardener knew about weaponry, so we faked loyalty and bid our time. The guards searched anyone entering he castle and kept the cook separate from everyone but the Tyrann most loyal..
I just brought the seed in a basket. I raised the flowers in the palace's garden among many others.
At the evening of the celebratory banquet, I just nodded towards the cook, then towards certain decorative flowers.
She was a smart woman, and this evening the Tyrann enjoyed his last almond cake.

rolled 1d10 and got a natural 6.

You are on: Forums » Art & Creativity » Official Contest: Short Story Challenge 2024

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ben, Darth_Angelus