Skip to main content

Forums » Epic Week 2024 » Champion Symbol (SOLVED)

Please log in to participate in Epic Week challenges.

https://www.smogon.com/dex/rs/pokemon/murkrow/

https://www.thegamer.com/pokemon-scarlet-violet-paldea-gen-9-competitive-battle-vgc

Someone mentioned Murkrow earlier (an early favorite Pokemon of mine, btw, first 'mon I encountered in Pokemon Black) and so there's a link about Murkrow and Pidgeot, and Murkrow and Other Pokemon, on the Smogon website (never did Smogon battles but perhaps worth a look? They're always changing their rules).

And a list of up and coming Pokemon, as of the ninth generation, as well as a link to best Pokemon doubles. :)

I remember Clodsire getting a lot of love lately? Not sure what that's about. Quagsire was always cute, so the mud variant is fun too, but I don't really know what it does.

https://www.thegamer.com/pokemon-good-in-doubles-but-not-singles/
Are we gonna get bonus clues for this one? I see certain other riddles have bonus clues...
Lai

Has anyone tried:
Milotic
Lugia
or Entei?
Lai wrote:
Has anyone tried:
Milotic
Lugia
or Entei?

*stares into space* uuhhhh, no? I don't think so...but we've made a LOT of guesses and I did require sleep so I may have missed some things...
I had a dream I solved this last night 😭

I'm gonna look at some championships today, see if I can find anything about the recent history or old stuff. :,)
Claine wrote:
Gab wrote:
Maybe it could be a Paradox 'mon? I dunno if it was suggested (and dunno how well it does competitively) but Iron Bundle (Delibird's paradox form) is considered better than Delibird itself. However, Delibird isn't a gen 1 originally... and dunno how the sidekick clue would work... hmmm...

I think this is very promising. Iron Bundle is often paired with Pelliper who causes a rain affect.

I've seen this a few times on Pokemon Showdown, so it has merit, but the factor of Delibird was introduced in gen 2 is a bit of a bump in the road.
Claine Moderator

SoulHeart57 wrote:
Claine wrote:
Gab wrote:
Maybe it could be a Paradox 'mon? I dunno if it was suggested (and dunno how well it does competitively) but Iron Bundle (Delibird's paradox form) is considered better than Delibird itself. However, Delibird isn't a gen 1 originally... and dunno how the sidekick clue would work... hmmm...

I think this is very promising. Iron Bundle is often paired with Pelliper who causes a rain affect.

I've seen this a few times on Pokemon Showdown, so it has merit, but the factor of Delibird was introduced in gen 2 is a bit of a bump in the road.

I'm hoping "Long time" just means "long time" and not "gen 1" 😅
"In the chill of battle, it’s usually not a great idea to waste a move to set up the proper conditions when you can get the job done another way.."

This definitely feels like its referring to Snow Warning, allowing Pokemon (Abomasnow and Ninetales-Alola, for instance) to set up Hail without wasting a turn.
Could also refer to other weather setting abilities and terrain setters. Drought (could also throw in Orichalcum Pulse and Desolate Land), Drizzle (could also throw in Primordial Sea), and Sand Stream for sun, rain, and sandstorm respectively or Misty, Grassy, Psychic, or Electric Surge (and Hadron Engine) for their respective terrains.
"To pull the same upset off, your hero should have a particular sort of sidekick."

This could also refer to Dondozo (the hero) and Tatsugiri (the sidekick.)

Tatsugiri's ability, Commander, only activates when Dondozo is on the field with it, raising all of its stats by two stages.
Claine Moderator

Snow Warning sets up hail without spending a turn on it

The answer could be 'Snow Warning' itself but old Pokemon who know this ability are

Vulpix and Ninetales (Alolan form)
Snover and Abomasnow
I already guessed various forms of the phrase Alolan Ninetales...
And I don't know if Abomasnow is considered particularly good.
It's main niche was taken over by Ninetales-Alola, but it was a great choice up until the Alola games. Good offensive typing, decent stats, priority STAB in Ice Shard and good offensive options in Wood Hammer, Blizzard, and Earthquake as well as support options in Leech Seed. Mega-Abomasnow made for a fantastic Trick Room Pokemon.
"Consider the legend of this non-fair-weather friend: the ninth took it from being considered a long-time worst to having proven potential in first."

This could also refer to Arcanine, perhaps? It's the Legendary Pokemon, residing in PU during the RBY generation (like most Fire types), but with the rise of Hisuian-Arcanine, it's seen new life. Great offensive STAB combination, high base powered moves (Flare Blitz, Head Smash, and Wild Charge in particular( with virtually no drawbacks thanks to Rock Head, strong priority in Extreme Speed, and the potential to run support with Intimidate, Stealth Rock, Morning Sun, and Roar.
"As you try to puzzle out the symbol, a monster distracts you."

Does this mean my guess was right?
Or is this like the captcha that shows up when you guess a wrong password too many times?
KansasVenomoth wrote:
"As you try to puzzle out the symbol, a monster distracts you."

Does this mean my guess was right?
Or is this like the captcha that shows up when you guess a wrong password too many times?

Nah, there are monsters in the way. Gotta fight 'em off in the Hull Integrity before you can place anything in collections or solve any symbols.
KansasVenomoth wrote:
"Consider the legend of this non-fair-weather friend: the ninth took it from being considered a long-time worst to having proven potential in first."

This could also refer to Arcanine, perhaps? It's the Legendary Pokemon, residing in PU during the RBY generation (like most Fire types), but with the rise of Hisuian-Arcanine, it's seen new life. Great offensive STAB combination, high base powered moves (Flare Blitz, Head Smash, and Wild Charge in particular( with virtually no drawbacks thanks to Rock Head, strong priority in Extreme Speed, and the potential to run support with Intimidate, Stealth Rock, Morning Sun, and Roar.

this has some serious merit.
Claine wrote:
Snow Warning sets up hail without spending a turn on it

The answer could be 'Snow Warning' itself but old Pokemon who know this ability are

Vulpix and Ninetales (Alolan form)
Snover and Abomasnow
I already guessed various forms of the phrase Alolan Ninetales...
And I don't know if Abomasnow is considered particularly good.

I remember seeing Ninetales Alola with snow warning used A LOT when paired with Aurora veil, for the effect of both reflect and lightshield. It's a pain in the but to deal with, ninetales is rather old, being from gen 1, so it checks off a few of the boxes.
Dragonfire Moderator

eating-popcorn-go-on.gif
Kim Topic Starter Site Admin

Congrats on solving this symbol! The answer was "Snow Warning Alolan Ninetales".

For those of you wondering how this answer could be arrived at, here's a quick explanation. :)
DragonFire, author of this riddle wrote:
The competitive metagame in Pokémon is forever shifting and changing as newer games bring in more monsters and moves and tweak older mechanics. Legendary Pokémon are usually fairly popular on teams, but some perform better than others, and Articuno has long been considered a poor choice thanks to its typing full of weaknesses, a sub-par moveset, and few ways to make it truly dangerous.
With the advent of Scarlet and Violet’s tweaked snow weather condition and the addition of Tera types, however, this has changed: a competitor in a regional championship recently used Articuno to great effect on his team and took home first place. Articuno’s best friend in these double battles was an Alolan Ninetales with the Snow Warning ability, able to set up the snow weather condition and Aurora Veil to boost the beautiful bird’s already substantial defenses even higher and keep it blasting out Blizzards that couldn’t miss. Nice.
Claine Moderator

Phew I got it!!

You are on: Forums » Epic Week 2024 » Champion Symbol (SOLVED)

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ben, Darth_Angelus