Skip to main content

Forums » Art & Creativity » OFFICIAL CONTEST: Baking/Cooking

DragonStorm

My faviorite desert is cookies and cream icecream ( for sure) :)
Omg!! So many great new entries, now! You guys are making me hungry. mmmm
Dragonfire Moderator

Whew! I was afraid I wasn't going to be able to finish all of these in time, before I got out of town for the weekend (I'm actually posting from a cabin in the middle of nowhere, haha). But here they are!

9113a846-f529-4e16-9a61-03c69a5e69fb.jpg

Look familiar?

fantasy.jpg

How about now?

scifi.jpg

Vanilla sugar cookies...

scifiicing.jpg
fantasyicing.jpg

...with almond royal icing, as a tribute to the brave and clever portal adventurers this year, and to our grand puzzle-master Kim!

The cookies were all cut by hand the old-fashioned way with a knife to get the right shapes. I did have to make a few simplifications with the icing - augh, that wolf seal, and the poor logo! - and some of the icing got a bit squashed on the drive up to the cabin, but I can attest that they still look pretty decent, and taste even better!

Recipes as follows:

Vanilla Sugar Cookies:

3 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
1 cup white sugar
1 egg, room temp
1 tbsp vanilla (or almond extract to taste)

Sift together flour, baking powder, and salt, and set aside. Cream together butter and sugar in a mixer until light and fluffy; add egg and vanilla and mix well. Add the flour mixture in a couple of additions, and mix until just combined. Knead the dough together until it holds; refrigerate for at least four hours. Roll out to 1/4 inch thickness, cut out cookies, and let them sit on a parchment-lined baking sheet in the freezer for eight minutes (or fridge for 15 minutes).
Bake at 375F/190C for 9 minutes or until lightly golden, turning the sheet once during baking. Cool on the sheet for five minutes, and then on a wire rack until fully cool.

Royal Icing
1/3 cup plus 1 tbsp meringue powder
1 kg/2 lb bag of icing sugar
3/4 cup water
flavouring to taste
(gel paste colour works best for colouring, but you can use liquid or powder as you like)

Mix together meringue powder and icing sugar in the bowl of a mixer until well combined. Dump in the water, and mix on low for a few minutes until the consistency of honey; increase the speed of the mixer to medium and continue whipping for 5-7 minutes, and then increase to high and whip until the icing holds a stiff peak.

Colour as desired. Thin with water to desired consistency to pipe onto cookies. Cover with a moist paper towel and an airtight lid when not in use.
Added slurm and two recipes for Soylant Green.
Kim Site Admin

Dragonfire wrote:
scifiicing.jpg
fantasyicing.jpg

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I added a couple of edible items to my entry :D
Darth_Angelus Moderator

Impressive use of the portals for those cookies :)
Kim Site Admin

Wow, it's heating up in here during these final hours! :D
Loki Topic Starter

Okay guys, this contest is officially over! Stay tuned for the winners to be announced! ^_^

You are on: Forums » Art & Creativity » OFFICIAL CONTEST: Baking/Cooking

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus