Skip to main content

Forums » Art & Creativity » NaNoWriMo 2011

... I think all you NaNoWriMo-ers inspired me. I'm not participating, but the writing bug has been biting the ever-loving-crap out of me for the last three or so days now.

And I've given in. I don't intend to get to x-amount of pages or words myself. I'm just writing for the pure and satisfying sake of doing so. I guess I'm an unofficial NaNoWriMo-er? IDK, but it feels nice just to write again!
Kim Topic Starter Site Admin

You are welcome to write alongside our writing herd, Copper, even if you don't have the same final destination. The more the merrier. :)
Darth_Angelus Moderator

I find myself wanting to write too. It's contagious! :D
Kim wrote:
You are welcome to write alongside our writing herd, Copper, even if you don't have the same final destination. The more the merrier. :)

Would I have to go... "register" or whatever? *whine* I am a lazy bugger and just wish to write! It is, after all, what I'd like to do for a living!

... unrelated, is it wrong for an American to say "bugger"? I've been trying to figure this one out for ages.

Copper_Dragon wrote:
Would I have to go... "register" or whatever? *whine*

Of course not! :)
Yay! :D I has a happies then! *continues writing-- actually not; she is tired and shall carry on tomorrow*

... well, "tomorrow" for me-- it's still Tuesday! For 9 minutes!
Fetch me my quill and parchment! I'm a day behind D=

WRITE.WRITE.WRITE. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH!
Ilmarinen Moderator

NaNoWriMo is something EVERYONE can enjoy, so by all means, dudes! Jump right in!

I'm sitting at a less-than-respectable 1400 words at the moment. I finally decided what to write. In 2006 I got 25k into a story and then lost my drive, see? But for the past 5 years that story has been HAUNTING ME to write it. It's a sort of realistic-fantasy, political, personal... kinda... thing. There are even themes and whatnot. And the world is one of my most developed ones.

Last time I tried it, I tried to start it at the verry beginning, where the main character signs up to be a kingdom guard and goes to train at the guard academy... and it just got more Hogwarts-y from there. XD It was awful. In 25k words, NOTHING HAPPENED and I got so bored!

So now I'm starting possibly in medias res... though I'm not sure if it NEEDS anything to be written in before it!
Earendill wrote:
Fetch me my quill and parchment! I'm a day behind D=

WRITE.WRITE.WRITE. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH!

You can do it Eare!!

Also, Heimdall: You can do it too! :D There's nothing worst than an unfinished story, trust me I know. Fix it up, jazz it up and write write write! :D

Kim and Darth: Are you keeping the 'the' out of your name ideas for simplicity's sake, or do you think I'd be better off without a 'the'? When I read your posts, I thought 'Chasing the Brigands', 'Pursuing the Brigands', but I don't know if that was your intention.

CelestinaGrey wrote:
Kim and Darth: Are you keeping the 'the' out of your name ideas for simplicity's sake, or do you think I'd be better off without a 'the'? When I read your posts, I thought 'Chasing the Brigands', 'Pursuing the Brigands', but I don't know if that was your intention.

I think it'd be better without "The". In this case, it's just a speed bump of a word that slows me down and detracts energy from the title. Chasing/Pursuing and Brigands are both exciting, action oriented words. "The" is not. Although the story may be about specific brigands, when I first read the title, I have not read the book and therefore don't know who "the" brigands are, so it doesn't mean anything. On the other hand, even if one is chasing specific brigands, it is also true that one is simply chasing brigands. So it doesn't result in a loss of meaning to potential readers to take it out, only a lessening of excitement to leave it in.
*yawns* It's... 12:51 here. AM. It'll be a few minutes later when I finish this post.

In spite of not officially participating, I've been checking my word count nonetheless and decided to ramble about how things are going with my current disease of "the writing bug".

More or less what I seem to be writing is various pieces of my character Draconus' past; by no means a typical biographical account of "first this happened, and then this, and this later this" it's instead an actual narrative of bits and pieces of his life. Some is for flavor (like sneaking into his fathers' meetings, pretending to be a knight), others are just to flesh out key plot points of his history.

And I've gotta say, it's sort of coming along nicely. I had to stop at one scene and move on to another because it refuses to come cleanly to me-- I may just scrap the details but imply well enough what happened. We'll see. When I'm less tired. I'm havin' fun though. I'm at... 4992 words at the actual narrative (I have a lil' author's note at the start of the document). MicroWord keeps telling me it's 4994, but that's only because it keeps including my omega symbol page breaks. I started all of this just before November 1st, literally, so I guess I got a head of the rest of you.

Not that I was participating in the first place! That writing bug has been biting me hard.

Edit 5,005 words now. A fit of very minor self-editing for diction made me add a few things to what I already have.
Ilmarinen Moderator

5005 words doesn't sound like "not participating" to me. >D You're past me! I'm only at 4.3k or so!
I had some unexpected things come up yesterday and didn't get any writing done at all. But I'm still ahead of the daily wordcount, so as long as I do some NaNoing today, I'll be good. :)

Last year I got sick for a few days. I wrote 5k words in one day to make up for it. xD I remember that, it was crazy.
@Heim Well... okay, touche. But I'm not official or anything. XD Plus I did start on Oct 31st; I think the impending NaNoWriMo talk in the chats I was in served to make the bug bite me

@Celest 5K in a day? Gee whiz, woman, I don't think I could do that even if I tried, unless I was working last-minute on a paper or something! o_o

My goal for today is 5001 words. I missed the last two days and I need to make them up! I just achieved 1780 words, so a strong start already. :) My main character just decided, after a fight with his parents about disappointing their expectations, that he is going to apply for the job of astronaut at a very mysterious private research firm.

I'm gonna go walk my dog, and when I come back I'm going to write like the wiiiiind.
Ilmarinen Moderator

That happened to me, too! It was in 2005. I lost my steam in the last week and was just going to roll over and quit at 40k, but I managed to do the final 10k in a day and a half. X) We can do it! :boogie:
I was doing Word Wars in the deviantART nanowrimo chatroom yesterday and I wrote 1,868 words in twenty minutes. :)

I'm now solid with a bit over 6k words! Which I'm relieved for, since I didn't write anything the second day (IRL problems arose). So now I'm right on track, and my story's going well. :)

It's a bit darker than the first book. Not explicit, but darker. A couple curse words, some sexual insinuations, but that's because it starts out in a planet that is swarmed with crime bosses and the like. There's games to the death for amusement of the higher-ups (like with the Greeks and Romans, gawd this whole time I can't remember what those were called), and such.
So I'm a tad concerned about showing it in the future to the people from my church who may want to read it... Lol the church I'm going to right now thinks that 'crap' and 'sucks' is a bad word...xD

But despite the dark evilness, I feel like the novel is really flowing. I think I might have messed up the order once, I have to check that. I have an 'order' that I switch the first-person perspectives in. I was pretty sure it was Elinor, Darius, Teg, but I think at one point I switched Teg and Darius.
(fail me.)
I've passed the 18k mark! I feel very accomplished for being ahead of schedule, and I'm aiming for 20k by tomorrow night. :)

NaNo is going strong!
Ilmarinen Moderator

Go Celestina, go! :) I'm staying right on schedule. (Well, I think I'm 300 words behind, but that won't be hard at all to make up.) I feel like it's growing harder and harder to grind out words, but I dunno why.
You can do it, Heim & Celestina! I believe in yoooou! :D

... as for me...
I already sputtered and died. XD Ah well, the feeling was fun while it lasted, honestly.
Plus I'm having a touch of inspiration and am character creating in a genre totally unrelated.

You are on: Forums » Art & Creativity » NaNoWriMo 2011

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus