Skip to main content

Forums » Suggestions & Development Discussion » Playlist widget

Ilmarinen Moderator

Wizard and I have playlists for some of our characters. Inside a text widget we have the credits for a bunch of songs, then Youtube tags linking to each song. The embedded player is only big enough to have the play and volume buttons. It's not a bad way of doing things, but when I find a new piece of music for one of my characters, I want folks to know about it! And I always like listening to the music that fits or inspires characters I like. It would be awesome to have a playlist widget (of limited length) that actually sends updates to friends' notifications, like the gallery widget. It could have two fields: one for the Youtube video ID and one for credits/description/explanation/etc. Under the hood it could even use the BBCode Youtube tags to just display a player of the user's choice. The best part is that a person visiting the page doesn't have to deal with lag on the RPR (since the videos are hosted off-site) and there's no auto-playing. :)

Unless there are permissions issues in linking to Youtube... but I know we already have the Youtube tags and D&D/WoW widgets, so... maybe!
I am some random guy and I endorse this idea.

I for one love listing and hearing music that captures a character or some aspect of a character, and a lot of folks already do this kind of thing! It's like having a gallery of sound instead of a gallery of art, and both help folks experience your character in some way. A widget for it would be really super awesome nice.
Bumping this because it is TOTALLY WORTH IT.

I saw this thread and my actual, legitimate first thought was: "Oh my god, yes."

Kim, all-knowing Seer of the intertubes, make this happen.
Thissss. This is relevant to my interests. I'd love to see this implemented.
Hooke wrote:
Amen!
Jane wrote:
Hooke wrote:
Amen!

I second this Amen! Also because I can't get the youtube BBC code to work for me at all.
Prince wrote:
Jane wrote:
Hooke wrote:
Amen!

I second this Amen! Also because I can't get the youtube BBC code to work for me at all.

I help you if you want darling <3
Tige (played by Dog)

This!
Kim Site Admin

This is a fascinating idea, and might be a good way to answer the tension between those who want music and those who want it banished to the depths. The concept isn't quite complete enough to implement yet, but it's a serious starting point. First, I need to sit down and do some serious readings of terms and conditions to see if this is something that would get me in trouble to do.
Awesome Idea! As a suggestion If you can't link up to youtube which is definately prefered I have seen multiple forum sites use a playlist from http://www.playlist.com/ It's free and there isn't any real song limit! but that's just an Idea.
Necroing this up again, because I want to see this happen.
Kim, Ruler of all Dinosaurs and SPAAAAAAACE wrote:
...First, I need to sit down and do some serious readings of terms and conditions to see if this is something that would get me in trouble to do.

Have you ever thought about using opensource/free license music? I know there are millions of free to use songs and midi's out there.
Kim Site Admin

Yes, but whenever this has been discussed, people have always lead with something really specific, like "Lady Gaga's newest single is my theme song and I want to use it!" Not "I want to put some music that fits the mood here. Any music."

I think it'd also get us back to me hosting the music. >.>
Bonebag wrote:
Necroing this up again, because I want to see this happen.
Kim, Ruler of all Dinosaurs and SPAAAAAAACE wrote:
...First, I need to sit down and do some serious readings of terms and conditions to see if this is something that would get me in trouble to do.

Have you ever thought about using opensource/free license music? I know there are millions of free to use songs and midi's out there.
Ilmarinen Topic Starter Moderator

Yeah, there's no way this would work if we have to host the music on-site! There just isn't room. :(
Darth_Angelus Moderator

Until the fate of SOPA is decided, it might be best to hold off on this one. Even if a good solution could be found now, that bill could put RPR in a difficult spot.

And hopefully that will be the extend of my political posts on RPR for the year. I feel dirty now.
Kim Site Admin

I think that using youtube would actually put all copyright issues squarely in youtube's lap, actually. Which is one of the main reasons for letting people use resized youtube videos in the first place.
Darth_Angelus Moderator

If that's the way it will be, then that's fine. I just don't want you to go to the trouble of setting something up and then have to drop it :)

You are on: Forums » Suggestions & Development Discussion » Playlist widget

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus