Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » Where ya'll from?

(I don't think this question has been asked outside of the Just Talkin' thread, if it has been, erase/lock/whatevs.)

Since I'm bored, been up for 21 hours now, and want to get a glimpse at where the forum demographic is from, I dared to ask the titular question:

Where ya from? What's it like? Whatddya sound like? What're the people like? Have any quirks? Anything odd?

I'm from the USA - the state of Kansas, to be precise. If you don't know how to pronounce that, it's more like can-sis (or cans-iz, dependin' on who you ask). It's... pretty horrible, actually. Kansas is a rather desolate wasteland of backwards thinking, racism, hicks/rednecks/hillbillys/'those' kinds of Americans, and is behind in almost every area technologically compared to the rest of the USA - that is to say that the state of the art advances always arrive here last. This state is also mindbendingly conservative. It also has the odd quality of 'being divided in half.' The western portion of the state is very Southern - very agricultural, and farm based, with much heavier accents. If you're from the USA and reading this, think that 'generic redneck accent.' Example (and yes, I often speak this way, barring the accent, it's genuinely just the region's linguistics): If yer from around Oklahoma or Texas, that down around in there is about what we sound like in the western half. The Eastern half is more 'urban,' if you could even call it that - instead of a few sparse farm towns, we've got a bunch of factory towns with about three cities on our side. Oh, and the water. We have all that, too. We don't have too much of an accent - we've got one, it's just not nearly as heavy. Once you start approaching the edges of other states, we basically absorb their traits. Kansas is literally nothing special - we're often referred to as 'Northern Oklahoma.'

So tell me RPR - especially you Euro folks - what's your current residence (or hometown, whichever you prefer) like? Is it nice? How're the people? Is there anything that jumps out at you about it? Does it house a clan of werewolves? Unicorns? Dragons? Argonians?
There's the accent thread where people put sound bites of themselves to give an idea of what we all sound like.

Well I'm in Canada. I was born on the east coast, but currently living in Ottawa. For those who don't know Ottawa is the Captial of Canada. And situated pretty much on the border between Quebec (the french part) and Ontario, Technicalities speaking the Quebec section is called Gatineau. Ottawa is large (well to me any way, it's apparently small compared to some of big cities in the US) and full of everything you want in a city. Parks, Museums (Personal fave being the National Arts Center), Historical sights, and of course Malls (galore), and restaurants and bars (GALORE).

As for the people, You meet some really great ones friendly, respectful. But there's always those out there who make you hate people :) I'd say it's honestly about 60/40 (higher number being the nice I've met)

I haven't met any were's, Dragons,Argoians, unicorns<-(to my disappointment). I ment a guy who smelled like a troll a few times in my elevator...
Bonebag wrote:
Kansas is a rather desolate wasteland of backwards thinking, racism, hicks/rednecks/hillbillys/'those' kinds of Americans

Hey now! I represent this remark. Except I'm from Virginia rather than Kansas and minus the stereotypical racism that everyone claims all us country boys have. Tree I live at I just moved back to after not living here for nearly 8 years and in that time i was gone it has undergone a severe upbringing in status having gone from a lowly country town to just shy of being a city as big as Richmind (Virginias capital). Granted it's still got a ways to go but it's getting there and as a result it has gained it's fair share of city sectors...Business, Slums/Ghetto and so forth. And of course with the increase of population came an increase of idiot drivers who I wonder how they got their licenses. But yeah. And sadly no dragons or what not.
Kim Site Admin

Some random trivia of mild relevance:

In the last 30 days, the top 10 countries that sent the most visits to the RPR were:
  1. United States
  2. Canada
  3. United Kingdom
  4. Australia
  5. Netherlands
  6. Germany
  7. Portugal
  8. Japan
  9. Estonia
  10. Belgium

The United States sent us 18,000 more visits than Canada, who sent EXACTLY a thousand more visits than the UK.

Of all the countries, the most exploratory was Portugal, whose people view approximately 8 pages per visit to the site. The second most inquisitive country was the Netherlands, with about 4.67 pages viewed per visit. The least inquisitive was Estonia, with about 3.44 pages viewed per visit.

The Japanese have the longest attention spans, spending an average of 20 minutes on the site per visit, followed by Germany at 15 minutes per visit. The country with the shortest attention span is Belgium, with about 4 minutes per visit. The US, although frequently maligned for its ADD, was completely average at 7 minutes and 57 seconds per visit. As a point of interest, the overall average time spent on any given site on the entire internet is about 10-30 seconds, making even our least attentive visitors WAY ahead of the bell curve.

This data is entirely anonymous. I have absolutely no way of matching people, or knowing more than what general region they came from.
I am also from the USA, New York to be precise. But not New York city; I'm like an hour and a half north of it. I went to school for four years there, however. Our town used to be farmland when my parents were younger, but now it's pretty built up and full of people. There isn't much that's interesting around us... We were mentioned by David Letterman to Regis Philbin about him retiring and coming to work at the Red Rooster, which is an ice creme/fast food drive in place with mini-golf.... And has been around since like the 60s. Otherwise, this place is boring. Where my dad lives (about a half hour away) there are some cool Civil War graveyards that can be found in the woods where soldiers were buried when they died marching. It's sad and awesome at the same time. We're close to Connecticut where there are some pretty up-tight people and 90% of the shopping areas.

There you have it; this is why I am on the RPR a lot :)
i'm in Alabama, obviously in the U.S.A. Supposedly it never snows here, yet we did have a blizzard once before i was born. it does snow here sometimes, but we were one of the places hit by lots of tornadoes. it's pretty average here, i guess. aside from how cold it is right now!

i haven't seen any of those other things....yet. XD
I'm in West Virginia, NO we are not part of Virginia, I say that cause apparently in someplaces we are not known as a state and thought of as part of Virginia. We get anything from country peoples to city peoples, depending on the group you run with. That's just the place I call home though. Being right across from Ohio, we do get the different people.
Minerva

Texas, US here.
Ohio, but I'm in Las Vegas Visiting atm :3
All those visits from Canada are from meeeeeeeee. >.>
Bonebag Topic Starter

Dylan wrote:

CANADA-TWIN POWERS UNITE.
Dylan wrote:
Bonebag wrote:
CANADA-TWIN POWERS UNITE

GO CANADA
Bonebag Topic Starter

nikina wrote:
Dylan wrote:
Bonebag wrote:
CANADA-TWIN POWERS UNITE

GO CANADA

NEW CANADA MOOSEPUBLIC, eh.
Sanne Moderator

I'm from the Netherlands, located in the most Southern corner of the country (did you know you can cross the country top to bottom, longest way, in about 5-6 hours?). I was born and raised in this general area and moved to a small town in a rebuilt/modeled farmhouse. My apartment is a studio and owned by my grandfather's brother. My sister and my sister-in-law live across the courtyard of me in a big house with my best friend's brother and his girlfriend.

There is a local market every Saturday and I live only 5 minutes driving from Germany, where I frequently do grocery shopping since most stuff is cheaper there.
Darth_Angelus Moderator

I'm British but I think people knew that :)
I'm from the Netherlands, from the province of South-Holland to be precise. So, when you say "You're from Holland" that's actually correct for me, but if you say that to anyone from the Netherlands who is not from North- or South-Holland, you could possibly be insulting them. XD

There isn't much to tell about the place where I live. I live in one of the biggest cities in the country, which admittedly isn't much compared to other countries. It's a large port city. It's centre got bombed in the Second World War, so it looks very modern now in comparison to the other cities. I live near the centre of town, just around the edge, in the only part where there is still some history left. It has a wikipedia page in English, detailing its history! I like the place a lot, even though at the same time I agree it's a horrible city. We have the highest crime rate of the country, even though I feel fairly safe while going about my business in the neighbourhood.

A large part of my family, from both my mom's as well as my dad's side, comes from Rotterdam. Both families also have a history with seafaring and inland... faring? Transporting things with boats, anyway, so my 'roots' are really here, despite the fact that I grew up away from the urban area. My parents apparently didn't like the area though, because they've moved to Germany by now.
I'm from space, born within the heart of a dying star.

Naw, actually I'm from Wichita, KS- largest city in the Wheat State, which also happens to be the Air capitol of the world. But I live in a town called Emporia, roughly an hour... northeast, I think... away from there. If you've ever heard of William Allen White, that's where he's from. It's also the hometown of Nascar driver Clint Bowyer.

Little Known Fact: Bowyer and I do not get along in the least, to the point that friends of mine take the time to pre-warn me when he's back in town. He's considered E-town's golden boy, but from somebody who knows him, I'd presonally prefer to punch him in the throat.
Bonebag wrote:
nikina wrote:
Dylan wrote:
Bonebag wrote:
CANADA-TWIN POWERS UNITE

GO CANADA

NEW CANADA MOOSEPUBLIC, eh.

High five.

I'm originaly from Saskatchewan which is the flat lands or prairies here in Canada. Our license plates say 'Land of Living Skies' due to all the northern lights we have. A canadian comedian once said it should be 'land of pointless bar fights.' I love Saskatchewan, but will probably never live there again. Saskatchewan is just a bit smaller than Texas (land wise) but only has topped 1 million population in recent years. ;D
LittleLuckyRed1

I am from Ireland, but we have relatives in the US so that's where i am now. Utah to be more exact....... not the greatest place i must admit, but Moab is absolutely amazing :D ! So there are benefits to living here, but the weather changes constantly.
kyra45 wrote:
i'm in Alabama, obviously in the U.S.A. Supposedly it never snows here, yet we did have a blizzard once before i was born. it does snow here sometimes, but we were one of the places hit by lots of tornadoes. it's pretty average here, i guess. aside from how cold it is right now!

i haven't seen any of those other things....yet. XD

I AM ALSO FROM ALABAMA.
Well, Tennessee actually, but just a few minutes away from the state line and I have so many relatives and friends there I call it home as well.
I hate to say it but I do sound rather country. Not as bad as Larry the Cable guy or anything but... I gotta bit 'er thaaccent.
BORN AND RAISED IN THE DEEP SOUTH BABY.

Edit: Speaking of those tornadoes, we had one rip through the very middle of our town. Trees uprooted, people from huntsville FLOODING the city, buildings wrecked.. not the worst damage but it was pretty bad. School was delayed 2 and a half weeks because of it.

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » Where ya'll from?

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus