Forums » Smalltalk » /

Sanne Moderator

and / make for epic together:

.. m/

Edit: AAAH MY BACKSLASH IS BROKEN. ;_;
... D: It puts on its invisible cloaks!
Kim Site Admin

RANDOM FUN FACT TIME

Backslashes are used to "escape" special characters that might have actual programmatical meaning when information is sent from place to place to prevent accidental errors and certain kinds of malicious hacking.

Most of you have likely been to a forum or seen a page where every time quotes were used there'd be mysterious backslashes inserted before them. For example:

\"Hello I'm obviously a weird error that keeps popping up,\" said the weird error that kept popping up. \"Don't I look retarded?\"

It's a safety precaution that has to come back out before it's displayed for human consumption. So to prevent backslashes from glomming on to all of your punctuation, backslashes are stripped out. It used to be that backslashes never occurred in natural conversation, so no one knew that they were being added and no one missed them when they were taken back out. Modern emoticons are creating complications.

I'm probably not going to spend development time on leaving certain backslashes in and taking the security relevant ones out right now, buuuut

FLASH BACK TO CHEAT CODE HINT
Me, a moment ago wrote:
Backslashes are used to "escape" special characters that might have actual programmatical meaning
Whoa. "The more you know!" That's kind of cool, even if I'm not very programming savvy myself!
Kim wrote:
RANDOM FUN FACT TIME

I knew this! You have no idea (well, you probably have, being a programmer and such XD) how annoying it is to program in a unix shell when using a shitload of punctuation. SO MANY BACKSLASHES. I DON'T EVEN.

Also, in case people haven't caught wind of it yet. To type an actual \ you have to escape it as well, e.g. type \\
I think Kim hurt my brain. x.o

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » /

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus