Skip to main content

Forums » Suggestions & Development Discussion » New page management interface

Kim Site Admin

Hi guys,

I'm working on the new page management interface, and I created a mock-up for you guys to play with of a small portion of the in-progress UI. I'm hoping to get some feedback before I invest time in building anything that won't work.

http://www.rprepository.com/pageinterfacetest.php

What I'd like to know is:
  1. Are you able to move single pages?
    • Within the same top-level list?
    • To a different top-level parent?
    • To an empty column?
  2. Are you able to move entire columns?
  3. Is it easy to do?
  4. Do you encounter problems?
  5. What browser and version are you using? For example, Internet Explorer 9 or Firefox 8.0.1

Thank you so much for your help! I am really excited for this new feature, and I really want it to work well for everyone.

Again, the link is http://www.rprepository.com/pageinterfacetest.php

Update: I believe I've resolved the conflicts that were occurring in IE 9. So far it is testing well in IE 8 and 9, as well as all recent versions of Chrome and Firefox. If you find anything buggy, let me know. I'm moving on now to testing ways to make the things that people reported being confused about more immediately intuitive. Huzzah!
I guess I'll give it a go via phone so you got some mobile based input to. *clicks*

Edit: I don't even know why I tried. Clicking things is bout all I can do.
Kim Topic Starter Site Admin

I have no expectations of it working on mobile, since dragging typically does not work for touch screen users. However, if your phone magically works, no one will be more excited than me. ;)
Tested it on chrome 13 and Firefox 9 and it all seems to work, smoothly even =D

The only thing I've noticed that if I move stuff from right to left, the position box tends to lag behind on the word by about one column.

(Also, damn you, Kim! I can't stop toying around with it ><)
Works PERFECTLY on Explorer :D I wants!!!!! Soooooooooooooo bad.

Brilliant babe. xoxoxoxo
It is super awesome.
It also works to move a page; so it becomes a header and gets bold ^.^ WoooooT!

I use: Google Chrome
Claine Moderator

Another Chrome user (version 16) and it all works as smooth as silk here :)
Sanne Moderator

I was confused about moving an entire column at once. I thought the main link to the section was the bolded part (and thus the column title) and that by dragging the bold word I would be moving an entire column. It wasn't clear to me and I was confused because it seemed to work for everyone.

So I'd personally like to see it made clear how to move the column as a whole. Maybe use a graphic or something to indicate "click here and drag to move it"?
Sanne wrote:
I was confused about moving an entire column at once. I thought the main link to the section was the bolded part (and thus the column title) and that by dragging the bold word I would be moving an entire column. It wasn't clear to me and I was confused because it seemed to work for everyone.

So I'd personally like to see it made clear how to move the column as a whole. Maybe use a graphic or something to indicate "click here and drag to move it"?

You click the left upper corner; it worked for me.
Sanne wrote:

I agree with Sanne. It took me a few clicks to try to click the upper corner (I wouldn't have guessed that had I not read Jane's comment.) and even then it was a bit clumsy. I ended up highlighting everything because I couldn't click precise enough. I think it would be a good idea to maybe make one corner in bold or somehow stand out to make it more obvious that you click that corner to drag the column.
Essentially, I need more than a small line to click. XD

When moving the words inside the columns, could it be a hand instead of a text cursor? Same thing when hovering a corner to drag a column. A hand cursor indicates to me there is something to do/click, also it'd stop me from highlight things when I drag. XD

Otherwise, it's looking good. PS, I am using Chrome 16.0.912.75 apparently!

Thanks guys, this has been really illuminating so far.

I switched the cursor for the pointer -- That's consistent with our other interfaces, I just didn't think to do it last night. Good catch!

Actually, it doesn't matter what corner, clicking any part of the interface that isn't text should allow you to move the column. I'm sorry it isn't clearer. I'll look into finding a way to make it more obvious.

Please be aware: I just made a change that I fully expect will break the UI in some versions of IE. I'm sorry about that, it's a temporary measure to fix a conflict elsewhere on the site. I will fix it later today.

I believe I've resolved the IE conflict now.
Sanne Moderator

Much better!! :D

Sanne wrote:

Is it? :O Did the addition of the pointer make it easier to find where to drag the column?
Darth_Angelus Moderator

I tried it on Firefox a little while ago and it I have to echo Sanne and Dylan's comments. This is looking like it will be a great new way to manage pages though! :)

I've also tested it on my iPad, as expected it wasn't possible to drag the pages around.
Ilmarinen Moderator

Works okay for me, but I also had a problem moving a whole stack. I thought clicking the bold header would move the stack, and was confused as to what happened when it didn't. After a second I realized what was happening, and all was well. I don't see a pointer or anything that indicates where to grab to move a column--it works if I click anywhere in the column that isn't occupied by a link. Other than that it's really easy!

I'm using Chrome 16.0.912.75 m. No problems other than accidentally highlighting everything when trying to move columns sometimes.
Kim wrote:
Sanne wrote:

Is it? :O Did the addition of the pointer make it easier to find where to drag the column?

Very much so! At least for me. Way less accidental highlighting everything and I was able to move the columns without a problem.
  1. Are you able to move single pages? Yes
    • Within the same top-level list? Yes
    • To a different top-level parent? Yes
    • To an empty column? Yes
  2. Are you able to move entire columns? No. I can only move the top column name, and then the one nearest to it replaces the empty spot.
  3. Is it easy to do? Yes
  4. Do you encounter problems? Nothing other than what I told you
  5. What browser and version are you using? For example, Internet Explorer 9 or Firefox 8.0.1 My typical IE browser.

CelestinaGrey wrote:
  1. Are you able to move single pages? Yes
    • Within the same top-level list? Yes
    • To a different top-level parent? Yes
    • To an empty column? Yes
  2. Are you able to move entire columns? No. I can only move the top column name, and then the one nearest to it replaces the empty spot.
  3. Is it easy to do? Yes
  4. Do you encounter problems? Nothing other than what I told you
  5. What browser and version are you using? For example, Internet Explorer 9 or Firefox 8.0.1 My typical IE browser.

I'm shocked it's working at ALL in IE at this particular moment... Are you using 8 or 9?
Hrm..Not sure. How do I find out?

In one of the options menus (usually Help, but sometimes settings) You'll find an option that says "About Internet Explorer." The very first thing in that window should be the version number.

You are on: Forums » Suggestions & Development Discussion » New page management interface

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus