Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » What is your job or vocation? Round Three

I'm a cheese steward. I work in Murray's Cheese at my local Kroger. We stock specialty cheeses as well as a lot of others -- I had no idea there were so many types of cheese until I started working here! Mainly what I do is cut and wrap cheeses for sale, make exclusive cheese dips, host demos (you know when you walk through a grocery store and there's a person at a small counter with sample cups or chips or something like that? That's me...), stock and manage the olive bar, assist customers with questions and offer custom cheese cuts. We also get to crack huge 80 pound wheels of genuine Parmesan Regiano. That's before we get into the general stocking of the shelves and constant cleaning.

murray-s-cheese_199_892_2.jpg
Bloopit

Note to self: get on RamonaJ's good side. That looks amazing!
Claine Moderator

I work at a library. It's only a short term contract for a project.

Basically, this library has a hoarding problem. If you wrote a letter to this library between 1970 and today, they still have it. If you wrote them an email, they printed it off and they still have it. If you sent them an archaic means of communication such as a telegram or a fax they still have it.

They have a lot of freakin letters.

And most of them are really mundane, such as "I would like information on the HMAS Pennyrose." A letter from the 1980s asking for basic information is no good to anybody anymore.

So I've been employed as a professional letter reader and thrower awayer. I have to filter out the exceptionally few letters they have which are actually useful to anybody, and pass the rest off to be destroyed.
I originally went to college with the mindset of becoming a bio nuclear engineer. But turns out math is really hard. Derp.

Anyway, I work as a groomer for a big box store and I don't think I could ever see myself anywhere else. It's a lot of hard work, but the pay out is amazing. (Plus, I get to snuggle puppies on the off occasion. Who doesn't like that? )
I work at a veterinary clinic/rehabilitation center who specializes in orthopedic surgery. I've worked the same clinic for over 2 years now and still love it. As of right now, I'm full time as a receptionist, but I also vet assist when it's needed, monitor surgeries, over see rehab therapy, and I also manage the kennel/dog daycare as well. I've always loved working in vet clinics and have worked in several... this one I've stuck with the longest.

As for career aspirations? I wanted to finish my degree in veterinary technology but have since been slightly turned off by it. The field in itself is my passion though, and I don't think I'll truly do anything that doesn't have to do with the care of animals in some way.
I'm an English and Philosophy student.
I also work part time in a grocery store, and for my mum in her jewellery shop.
Currently I'm working as an assistant manager at my local Subway. When I started out I didn't think I would last very long, but Ive grown to like it. Its a really good enviroment, my boss is great, my fellow co-workers are amazing, its a small staff so we all know one another very well. I've learned alot about the managment side of things which is helpful if I ever leave there.
Sqd

I work at a big corporate thrift store. It's hard work at times, but my co-workers are all cool and our customers are mostly chill old people and moms, so it's nice as far as retail goes.

An open request to thrift store shoppers, though: if you come into a big thrift store during the last half hour it's open, please don't bring donations, mess up the merchandise, or ask an employee to help you with anything that's gonna take more than a few seconds. We have to stay late if we can't get the store neat by the time it closes. :C
Wow man excellent question and a fun topic to read about other folks.

Currently I'm Self-employed and write small-Business Plans, Code of Conducts, and Policies & Procedures (basically the Quality Guy nobody likes because I put rules in place). On top of being self-employed, I am also a full time father of 2 kids (7yr Girl "Suren" & 3yr Boy "Austin"). And I also go to school full time studying Business Management: Production & Logistics.

But I did spend 12yrs in the Army in communication and the last 3yrs as a Drill Sergeant.

Now my wife is a RN here in S. Texas my entire in-law family is in the medical field.

rolled 1d20 and got 14

Mateus (played anonymously)

I market biotechnology, doing both calling and data entry. On the side, I do volunteer editing and do ghost-writing for pay.
Rogue-Scribe

(Hopefully I won't get shut down for bringing this up from the depths)

I was diving into the depths of the cellar of RPR today and came across this gem. It is so cool to see people sharing what they do! Many are still active, and so I thought I would add what I do to this list. Of course, when I go deep-sea snorkling into the depths I always wish I would have found RPR nine years ago. Out of all the people I read about here, I am most inpressed with Kim, our benevolent administrater and site owner! Well done m'lady, and thank you to no end for providing us with this wonderful site!

Me, I am a technican by trade. It was quite the field to get into when I graduated from high school. I got good work after tech college, and I managed to stay employed for all but six months through the years. I took an early retirement from the medical device company I had worked for years for, and I up and changed countries, and now work in a related field. The niche that technicians had at one time have been replaced pretty much by low cost electronics that is cheaper to toss-out and replace than to fix. It's probably why the few techs we have at the company I work for are dinosaurs like me. It's a skill that isn't really being passed on.

Anyway, thanks for indulging me as I carry on in my ramblings as I bring up an old thread. To answer what is asked... "The topic you are about to reply to was created October 20 2015.

Are you certain that the discussion or question is still relevant enough to respond to?"

The answer is 'yes'.
I'm glad you brought it back, Dunedain-Ranger. Helps to make the people here feel more 'real' to read about what everyone does outside of our made-up stories. :) . (I mean, I know you guys/gals are all real people, but's all too easy to see someone as their avatar.)

I'm a software engineer and have spent most of my career working around the health industry, first with electronic health record software and more recently around research and clinical trials.

And holy crap, no wonder drugs in the USA costs so much. I probably spend about 25% of my time coding and 75% of my time documenting and sitting in meetings while the powers that be try to make decisions by committee and try to comply with the mountains of red tape and regulations set by the NIH. And our team is purely in the data collection phase. I imagine it doesn't get better for the actual drug makers.
JustAGuy

Huh, no thanks for bringing this back, this was cool to read about what people do

as for me, I am in the janitorial and manual labor field of work, nothing is too nasty for me to clean, and nothing is too hard for me to do ;)
I work in a screenprint production facility. It’s a small shop, but we do work for a good few of the U.S. National Parks and a ton of brewery companies. I can’t name specific ones, due to legality, but it’s definitely interesting.

Part of my job is to prep the screens for all the different clients that are needing work done and then registering them on press. Most of what I do, though, is essentially production management. Checking in the product, performing quality control while the shirts are being printed, repackaging for shipping, creating inventory management systems (there had been none when I’d started and all the inks and stock product was a disaster to sift through).

Technically when I’d been hired, it was to just help run the press itself, but I ended up being put in the junior production management position because I guess I’d been doing it as a reflex thing and my boss decided thats going to be my job title from now on. :’}

The other reason I’d been hired is because of my experience and education in art fields, I.e., Graphic Design and illustration. So the other big part of my job has been creating the artwork that gets put to apparel.

I’ve only been working here for 9 months, and my boss decided that I’m going to be junior production manager and junior art director and I still can’t wrap my head around it.
I work in internal medicine and pediatrics. I am a LPN, and clinic administrator. I’ve been in this field for 7 years and I’m going to college to move even higher on the ladder.

I’ve noticed a lot of us have something to do with the medical field. That’s pretty cool.
LakotaSiouxWarrior

I'm a professional bass player musician. My other jobs were a bartender and working at Victoria secrets❤❤.
I'm one of those folks who periodically changes jobs for one reason or another.

My primary job right now is as a janitor (with a touch of busboy mixed in), though I'm set up to be a bartender for the same company/space. I was signed up as on-call and am supposed to be part-time to accommodate my other, more preferred job, but presently I'm doing full-time overnight cleaning.

My other job, which I'm taking a break from at the moment (was supposed to be to focus on straightening out my mental health, but first job has no other overnight people at the moment; one of the bar supervisors takes 2 nights herself to give me a weekend), is professional cuddling. It's a fun and super rewarding job, but much more involved than it probably sounds at first.

Once a year, I also get paid to help out with a local comic con. I've been helping with another local convention too, but only the one is paid. I find it to be a much more engaging and fulfilling experience for me than just attending, plus the money is going into my wallet instead of coming out. XD
Oh! This is neat! I enjoy learning about other people, so I suppose I'll tell you a bit about myself too.

I have had several different jobs in the last ten years. They include: events planner, housekeeping, ESL teacher (probably my favorite), and multiple positions in kitchen staff.

Currently, I'm a school bus driver. I've been doing it for about four years now. It used to be rewarding (and sometimes it still is), but lately the school district we're contacted for has been going down the toilet. The students' behavior has progressively gotten much worse over the past three years with very little discipline. Most of the time, the job is pretty decent - I get a few hours off in the middle of the day, don't have to work evenings, weekends, or holidays. But there are several days each month that are just about enough to make one walk off the job. I do transport kids from one of the more "rough" neighborhoods in town. I think I've stayed on this long because I do care about them and worry about the lack of stability in their lives.

However, I'm leaving in less than four weeks to move halfway across the US and spend some time reconsidering life and my future. I'm considering going back to school and getting a degree so that I can teach English in several other countries. I may take up bus driving again in the meantime to make ends meet.
What other languages do you speak?
VampireDwarf wrote:
Oh! This is neat! I enjoy learning about other people, so I suppose I'll tell you a bit about myself too.

I have had several different jobs in the last ten years. They include: events planner, housekeeping, ESL teacher (probably my favorite), and multiple positions in kitchen staff.

Currently, I'm a school bus driver. I've been doing it for about four years now. It used to be rewarding (and sometimes it still is), but lately the school district we're contacted for has been going down the toilet. The students' behavior has progressively gotten much worse over the past three years with very little discipline. Most of the time, the job is pretty decent - I get a few hours off in the middle of the day, don't have to work evenings, weekends, or holidays. But there are several days each month that are just about enough to make one walk off the job. I do transport kids from one of the more "rough" neighborhoods in town. I think I've stayed on this long because I do care about them and worry about the lack of stability in their lives.

However, I'm leaving in less than four weeks to move halfway across the US and spend some time reconsidering life and my future. I'm considering going back to school and getting a degree so that I can teach English in several other countries. I may take up bus driving again in the meantime to make ends meet.
Rogue-Scribe

SoaringKestrel wrote:
I’ve noticed a lot of us have something to do with the medical field. That’s pretty cool.

I built and later serviced heart monitors and heart defibrillators mostly. We had some blood pressure machines as well, and toward the end of my career at that company when they all were built into one machine (I see them all the time on tv shows) and I did technical support on them and on patient data management systems that interfaces with them.
You likely see a lot of those in your line of work Shyanne!

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » What is your job or vocation? Round Three

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus